Cinematic fantasy combat

amertes

Talk about taking resurrection for granted. Must be nice knowing that you will be reborn every time you die. Bitter me? Not at all. :mad:

Oh yeah, based on an educated guess, the trolls would most likely have eaten Rurik's corpse (stopping resurrection ), and taken all his stuff. :D

This is surely very cinematic, from a certain point of view. :innocent:

Edited by dragonewt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, based on an educated guess, the trolls would most likely have eaten Rurik's corpse (stopping resurrection ), and taken all his stuff. :D

Or reanimated me. >:->

OK, guys, coming out with this nonsense is all very well for the fun purpose of winding me up - but you should be ashamed of yourselves. Some readers not so familiar with Glorantha might actually be fooled into believing your guff.

The Travels of Biturian Varosh from Cults of Prax, probably the foremost Gloranthan tale, has Rurik alive in 1614, two years after his supposed death to the trollkin in the Personalities - Rurik story (which lies within a section of the site called "Eurmal's Bag of Tricks", btw). If you dismiss the possibilty of his returning to life then, of the two tales, it is the story of his death that we must reject as unreliable.

But both could be true - that is the beauty of Glorantha, after all.

The death-story merely poses the question of whether a Goldentongue should be believed - yet the same source says of that other famous Goldentongue, Joh Mith, that "most outsiders take his word as fact".

And remember that the fateful mission of 1612 was said to be co-led by Rurik's rival Jonathan Trollsbane. There can be little doubt he would have lived up to his name, rescued Rurik's body, and taken it post-haste to the Healers, Friendly to Yelmalio, for Resurrection. For certain he would not pass up the chance to ever-after tease Rurik about his ignominious death to a mere trollkin... :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Which lies within a section of the site called "Eurmal's Bag of Tricks", btw. If you dismiss the possibilty of his returning to life then, of the two tales, it is the story of his death that we must reject as unreliable.

At the risk of being off topic (however, holding the line on a point that forms the basis of some of the discussion regarding Cinematic fantasy combat), it should be noted that the Eurmal pages contain valid information.

This section of the Lhankor Mhy Research Library contains articles which do not really fit anywhere else. Additional items may be added in the future' date=' at the whim of the Trickster.[/quote']

Those with the constitution to check things for themselves can find further information here. The other personalities align correctly with the Gloranthan material I do own:

Glorantha: Eurmal's Bag of Tricks

(There is also a nice link on Runes. I wonder where that could lead a conversation. :eek: )

Edited by dragonewt

I have played in several Call of Cthulhu games and have ordered a BRP book. Other than that I am experienced in the table-top field.

When I game-master I tend to offer three levels of bonus points.

• Karma: One per session (maximum two, however a player can spend XP to increase the bank maximum). These can be used to gain a free action, gain a large bonus, allow the player to act as storyteller for a few short non-combat sentences, or to survive a situation that would have resulted in death.

• Heroic Legacy: Earned slowly and not until the characters are established heroes. These points are used to by the player to customize items important to the character by imbuing them with magic.

• Brownie points: Earned though a player aiding the game (hosting, bringing snacks, running an NPC). These points add a moderate bonus.

Skittish players save their Karma and risky players spend it. This way you have a built in incentive for the skittish to take more risks.

Those who spend their Karma on extra actions or such mark themselves as risk takers. I make sure that risk takers are obliged with trouble.

I have found that this Karma system relaxes over cautious and timid players too scared to act, while giving gung-ho players ammunition for more lime-light. I feel that it supplies two player types with ammunition to have fun.

The type of players you have at your game-table should determine what type of special story bending powers characters have.

Edited by darkrose50

Well, that particular method is from the James Bond RPG. The rationale behind it is simple, it keeps the big baddies from spending all their points to kill one PC. The group wins the battle, but each adventure or so someone would need to roll up a new character.

I really love the Bond RPG. It actually isn't quite so easy to "just escape" in the RPG. It has my favorite take on Hero Points too. 1 HP adjust the die roll one quality level (think wsuccess level in BRP). This grades of success approach also tones down the Hero Points, making their effects more subtle. Turning a serious injury into a minor wound, as opposed to turning a critical into a miss. The latter is possible, but so costly that even Bond can't do it very often. Since the damage inflicted is based party on the success level, a 1 level shift isn't as severe as in some RPGs.

Also once a point is spent, it is gone for good, so PCs don't waste them as with similar point systems. Instead they are more likely to save most of them until they need them. While characters can earn more points, they can't just get them "refreshed" next week. So PCs don't feel invulnerable when they have a lot of points. And players get worried when the points run low.

This method is great for handling the "series of bad die rolls" thing too, making the RPG my favorite for solo play. Less chance of losing a PC to that eventual fumble.

Hero points from JB007 rpg are quite easy to transpose to BRP (we did it in a modern espionnage game a few years back):

Quality 1 results are critical success

Quality 2 results are special success

Quality 3 results are below half success chance

Quality 4 results are normal success

Quality 5 results (?) are normal failures

Quality 6 results (?) are fumbles

Hero points are gained on Critical/Quality 1 results, and are spent to either:

1/ cause something to occur

2/ change a dice roll result by 1 quality in the direction choosen by the point owner.

Villains had survival points, that were like hero points, but could only be spent on rolls affecting the character, instead of any rolls.

All in all, a very elegant, simple, easy and fast system: Everything that is BRP. Of course, not all setting requires/can accept Hero points.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

• 4 months later...

Having browsed through 3rd ed GURPS I chanced upon SJ's suggestions for cinematic games. And I think that these would port over to BRP pretty painlessly.

1. Allow characters TWICE as many parries as usual (in BRP give everyone TWO parries or Dodges at full skill and then make with the cumulative penalty)

2. Allow a resting character on half hits or better to spend a <hero point> to heal back up to full hits "zounds it was actually just a fleshwound!"

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire