Chiarina

I started a new HeroQuest campaign in germany

On 2/2/2020 at 6:42 AM, Chiarina said:

llright, o.k., you win!"

I thought about it thoroughly, checked my dates and then registered for Eternal Con 2020.

I already got a provisional reply. Apparently there will be a bed for me.

Let´s see, what is possible, if I´m roleplaying in english.

If it doesn´t work at all, I´ll play trollball and watch the rhine gorge.

Thank you for the kick up my backside.

Well, enjoy. I wish there was a con nearby, in any language!

On 2/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

... I wish there was a con nearby, in any language!

PureSpec?  They seem to have (at least a little bit of) RPG'ing... 

CalgaryExpo also has RPGs, maybe the same-ish proportion(?) but they're enough bigger to have "more" games in an absolute-numbers sense.

1 minute ago, g33k said:

PureSpec?  They seem to have (at least a little bit of) RPG'ing... 

On Spec is a fantastic mag and I recommend it it highly, But a speculative fiction mag con... well, having looked it up it does include gaming as one of its  sidelines. and I see it had a con last year for the first time in about 6 years, so... maybe 2020? Maybe even gaming I will let you know if a new one is sighted this year. 

7 minutes ago, g33k said:

CalgaryExpo also has RPGs, maybe the same-ish proportion(?) but they're enough bigger to have "more" games in an absolute-numbers sense.

Calgary and edmonton are about the same size, In an oil province it is a bit hard to tell, is it a boom or bust economy, are more management or more blue-collar being hired). The entire province has a touch of transience about it. 

All they have more of is cowboys (think austen and houston, edmonton is austen... oh and alberta is texas in this analogy),

8 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

On Spec is a fantastic mag and I recommend it it highly, But a speculative fiction mag con... well, having looked it up it does include gaming as one of its  sidelines. and I see it had a con last year for the first time in about 6 years, so... maybe 2020? Maybe even gaming I will let you know if a new one is sighted this year. ..

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe PureSpec is anything like "the con for/by OnSpec," they just cite OnSpec as a valued & longtime sponsor.

Modiphius seems to have a strong presence there, with the 2d20 system.

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

who?

Good Barbarian!!!

See, @Chaosium?  See how good he is???

(Modiphius has the RPG licenses for Conan, JohnCarter/Barsoom, Dune, & StarTrek, iirc)

(I,, in contrast to the sweet innocent Barbarian above, am clearly some sort of faithless Gaming Slut, winking and flirting at every Hot New License... How's that RoL project, btw?)

Edited by g33k
Gettin' slutty ...

20 minutes ago, g33k said:

(Modiphius has the RPG licenses for Conan, JohnCarter/Barsoom, Dune, & StarTrek, iirc)

So, the company is located in the great white north? Or in my environs or is putting on cons in this area? 

22 minutes ago, g33k said:

(I,, in contrast to the sweet innocent Barbarian above, am clearly some sort of faithless Gaming Slut, winking and flirting at every Hot New License... How's that RoL project, btw?)

And there i was thinking you to be just a geek, Now I find out the truth, some say geek some say gaming slut, tomato tohmahto, as it were...

Meanwhile we finished the second adventure (Jorstak´s Raid) with the following outcome:

The Clan of the Red Cow had a successful raid and stole many cows and the price bull of the Emerald Swords. The Emerald Swords catched out the Clan of the Red Cow stealing their cows, but Rostakus Twice-Outlawed called his warriors off, because one of the player characters had one of his sons under his thumb and threatened to kill him. At the end some Emerald Swords were severely wounded or even dead, Jorstak Bristlebeard nearly killed a player character attempting to stop his battle madness (maybe it was kinstrife!) and the hate for each other in both clans was bigger than ever.

One of my players said, the imminence and seemingly inescapable doom could be too hard for him. I have to be careful.

• Like 2

The third adventure (The Burning Of Lhankpentos The Blind) is over.

The second burning of Tormakt´s Farm turned out to be not as disastrous as the first. Our heroes acted effectively and the Clan of the Red Cow had to bemoan only a few members (Lhankpentos died, nevertheless).

In exchange Jaranil´s raid was a serious defeat. After the lost battle in Creek Turn, the Heroes not even succeeded in organizing the escape. Nearly 20 warriors of the clan died.

Time for peace weaving!

• Like 2

Does anybody has a tip?

Two characters of my group were identified by imperials after attacking two soldiers at the gravehill of the Red Cow Clan. Since then they live in the secrecy of a barn in Green Meadows, because the Lunars consider them as rebels.

But meanwhile the player of one of this characters is somewhat bugged by the situation. While the other players every now and then experience the village life of Red Cow Fort with their characters, this two players unsually wait until their characters get picked for the next adventure by the others.

Do you see a possibility to bring them back into the village life? ...or an attractive alternative?

1 hour ago, Chiarina said:

But meanwhile the player of one of this characters is somewhat bugged by the situation. While the other players every now and then experience the village life of Red Cow Fort with their characters, this two players unsually wait until their characters get picked for the next adventure by the others.

Do you see a possibility to bring them back into the village life? ...or an attractive alternative?

It probably depends on how many Lunars, Lunar spies or sympathizers there are in the village - and how well known the character is.  The more there are, the more likely the characters are to be betrayed if they go into the village.

So, one option is Disguise (physical or magical).  Physically disguise themselves as foreigners, merchants, travelling peddlers - something unobtrusive, but common enough to gain entry and not give themselves away.  Get the Trickster to cast illusion magic upon them - maybe even to look like a troll? Or some very foreign person.  

Another is to sneak into the village. Tunnels might be one option.  Hiding in hay wagons, or a merchant's caravan wagon, might be another option.  Something that lets them come in secret into the village.  Eventually, someone might figure it out, but in the meantime, they get some taste of village life.

Alternately, if there isn't a way to bring them in, let them get truly adopted into a rebel band - opportunity to meet new folk, learn about what's going on, etc. - and they are given the opportunity to lead, maybe even strike further against the Lunars, or spy on something going on, or sent to Jonstown to gain information.

My heroes made peace with the Emerald Swords.

Next time, they´ll learn, that nevertheless Gordius Silveris punishes their clan fpr being troublemakers.

The Power Creep in my group is alarming.

I have to adjust base difficulties, modifications and the adjusting screws of the pass/fail-cycle to provide challenges for the characters...

...not so easy.

8 hours ago, Chiarina said:

The Power Creep in my group is alarming.

I have to adjust base difficulties, modifications and the adjusting screws of the pass/fail-cycle to provide challenges for the characters...

...not so easy.

I found that Hero abilities at 1W plus typical augments of +3/4 readily forced me to bump up difficulties.  At the same time, lesser used abilities were still typically at 17 or 13, so I didn't want to raise base difficulty too far.  My solution was adding interim levels of difficulty (+9, +12 over base - a solution I've seen adopted in the new QW SRD) - this has worked well for me.

• Like 1