Divine intervention and runelords & priests

Luxus

Couple of questions about divine intervention:

1) In page 272 in rulebook it reads that "In appealing for divine intervention, the adventurer must first permanently sacrifice 1 Rune point", but in the same page it says for priests that "Any Rune points spent in divine intervention are regained normally (at the next holy day etc.)." and on the next page with runelords: "As with priests, any Rune points spent in divine intervention are regained normally (at the next Holy Day, etc.)". In the two examples in the rulebook this 1 runepoint sacrifice is not mentioned at all. So do runelords and runepriests also recover this 1 runepoint that they first sacrificed?
I think they do not, but I'd like to get some second opinions on this one.

2) In page 272: "Divine intervention can be used to raise a characteristic by 1 point, but no characteristic can be raised above its normal maximum, as described on page 418." I guess this means that stats that normally can't be raised (SIZ and INT), can be raised with divine intervention?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luxus said:

1) In page 272 in rulebook it reads that "In appealing for divine intervention, the adventurer must first permanently sacrifice 1 Rune point", but in the same page it says for priests that "Any Rune points spent in divine intervention are regained normally (at the next holy day etc.)." and on the next page with runelords: "As with priests, any Rune points spent in divine intervention are regained normally (at the next Holy Day, etc.)". In the two examples in the rulebook this 1 runepoint sacrifice is not mentioned at all. So do runelords and runepriests also recover this 1 runepoint that they first sacrificed?

I'd say they do regain that RP, but I'm glad you pointed that out. I hadn't noticed/recalled that cost.

In my game group, it's become something of a habit for folks to just toss a D100 for intervention if something really terrible--like death-terrible--happens because we played that just going for the roll didn't have a real major cost, even though a successful initiate intervention is pretty expensive.

9 hours ago, Luxus said:

2) In page 272: "Divine intervention can be used to raise a characteristic by 1 point, but no characteristic can be raised above its normal maximum, as described on page 418." I guess this means that stats that normally can't be raised (SIZ and INT), can be raised with divine intervention?

Yes, I'd say so, within the usual species maximum. AFAIK, that's the only way to get INT or SIZ 21. (Or a characteristic-raising geas/gift, I guess.)

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

40 minutes ago, Crel said:

Yes, I'd say so, within the usual species maximum. AFAIK, that's the only way to get INT or SIZ 21. (Or a characteristic-raising geas/gift, I guess.)

Yelamio has a gift that says

Per geas, 1-point permanent addition to INT or SIZ, no limits.

Oddly though it says it costs 2 geas.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, Brootse said:

I've also wondered if the Runelord have to pay the one point. In the example they don't, but in the first quote everyone has to.

In the example it says all adventures pay one RP permanently and then goes into the details for each group seperaterly...

• Like 1

I say permanent 1 POW loss. Both from the way it's written, and because it would be broken otherwise. Divine Intervention can give you a one-point permanent stat increase, and if not limited by at least that permanent POW loss, any Rune-Lord could do multiple stat-gains per season (at least seasons that weren't too busy for the spellcasting).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I say permanent 1 POW loss. Both from the way it's written, and because it would be broken otherwise. Divine Intervention can give you a one-point permanent stat increase, and if not limited by at least that permanent POW loss, any Rune-Lord could do multiple stat-gains per season (at least seasons that weren't too busy for the spellcasting).

Besides, until now in Rune Quest one always paid something substantial and permanent for a miracle. Now only the initiate is so inconvenienced as the various rune levels will have a chance of a miracle for a temporary loss of RPs and no loss of POW without that rule. Now everyone pays to play!

3 minutes ago, Luxus said:

Thank you for all the replies! I think at least majority agreed that 1) the 1 point runepoint loss is permanent and 2) INT and SIZ can be raised.

As Brootse says, and I will add that questions are almost as wonderful as answers.