Determining New Monster SRs

Crel

Just wondering, does RQG have a default formula for determining a new monster's SR? As I'm flipping through the Bestiary, I don't see a guiding principle explicitly noted in the introduction. Across various entries, the "Base SR" seems to be the lowest of SIZ or DEX SR, and then in most cases non-weapon using critters add 4 to that number.

For example, Giant Antlions (p.130-131) have a base SR of 4 (despite a SIZ of 22-23 which would normally correlate to SR 0 per core p.57), based on their DEX of 6-7. They make their bite attack on SR 8.

Yet, this loose formulation doesn't always hold up. For example, on the next page Guard Beetles have a Base SR of 5, despite DEX 7 (SR 4) and SIZ 16-17 (SR 1).

Is there some form of hidden RQ2 holdover behind the numbers that I'm unfamiliar with, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for feedback. :)

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Your Base SR is your DEX Strike Rank + SIZ Strike Rank. These are given in the Strike Rank tables on p 57 of the RQG Rulebook.

Your final Strike Rank with a weapon is your Base SR + Weapon Strike Rank. Weapon strike ranks are given in the RQG Rulebook on p 208-209, they don't include Bite, but all natural Weapons are SR4, including Bite.

Most natural weapons have a weapon Strike Rank of 4.

In a Bestiary, Strike ranks normally use average characteristics.

So, in the examples given:

• Giant Antlions have SIZ 3D6+12 (Average 22-23) and DEX 1D4+4 (Average 6-7), this gives a SIZ SR of 0 and a DEX SR of 4, so a Base SR of 4.  It uses a Bite, with a weapon SR of 4, so the final Strike Rank is 8.
  • Guard Beetles have SIZ 3D6+6 (Average 16-17) and DEX 2D6 (Average 7), this gives SIZ SR 1 and DEX SR 4, so a Base SR of 5. It uses a Bite, with a weapon SR of 4, so the final Strike Rank is 9.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

38 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Your Base SR is your DEX Strike Rank + SIZ Strike Rank. These are given in the Strike Rank tables on p 57 of the RQG Rulebook.

Your final Strike Rank with a weapon is your Base SR + Weapon Strike Rank.

Ah, I was thinking final weapon SR was SIZ + Weapon. We use a homebrewed system for initiative & SRs, so how "canon" SRs work is a weak spot of mine.

Thanks, Soltakss!

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website