Sandy's sorcery

Trifletraxor

I've got a copy of Sandy's latest notes on sorcery in all its forms, mostly gloranthan specific, together with the permission to host it in our download section.

I is however spread out in 47 doc files, with very little layout, and thus in need of some editing and layout magic before uploading.

Anyone up for the task?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I've got a copy of Sandy's latest notes on sorcery in all its forms, mostly gloranthan specific, together with the permission to host it in our download section.

If you can, it would be good to get permission to also host or post Sandy's small article "Sandy Petersen on Runequest".

In my own personal BRP/RQ archive, I have a small section called "Reflections" where I collect peoples' views and experiences regarding RuneQuest. If possible (permissions etc...), it might be worth archiving these on BRC.

Guest Vile Traveller

I is however spread out in 47 doc files, with very little layout, and thus in need of some editing and layout magic before uploading.

Anyone up for the task?

Erm ... how many words is that? I'm interested (although I shouldn't be, because I'm supposed to be studying), but it has to be fairly manageable.

Erm ... how many words is that? I'm interested (although I shouldn't be, because I'm supposed to be studying), but it has to be fairly manageable.

A lot. :rolleyes:

But it could easily be divided into several pdfs, so you could grab a piece of it and work with, leaving the rest for someone else.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Guest Vile Traveller

So, how do you want to go about this? I think we need some ground rules before everyone goes off on their own bat. I presume we will be using American English for proof-reading? What about a standard Word document format? And is there an order for the files?

So, how do you want to go about this? I think we need some ground rules before everyone goes off on their own bat.

I agree. What we need is a project team who are working to a clear set of style guidelines.

I presume we will be using American English for proof-reading?

I would assume so. I can't think of any reason not to use American English.

What about a standard Word document format?

I was going to aim for a PDF - we can use Scribus or something similar to produce the finished document. It would look more professional than Word and if we could grab some illustrations it would look even better.

And is there an order for the files?

Looking through them there seem to be two or three variants of the rules, various descriptions of different schools of sorcery and some general advice. We can work out a general order on the rules files by looking at the date of creation and assuming that any differences in later files supercede earlier drafts.

I was going to go for a rules, general spells, schools and specific spells approach with advice scattered through the text.

My personal goal was to produce a coherent manuscript that Trifletraxor could send to Mr Peterson for comment and hopefully approval.

I think we need a project coordinator, someone to do layout in a DTP programme and minions to sort the text into something coherent. I suspect that the three of us who have volunteered here would be about the right number, more than that and coordination could be a problem.

Guest Vile Traveller

Issaries do have a fan policy, but I've never tried to wrap my head around it. Anyway, Glorantha also complicates things because of Mongoose's involvement. So that's two groups we would have to negotiate with before even starting. I would rather avoid the whole issue by editing out any Gloranthan references.

Otherwise, I agree with the above. Once we have a yea or nay on the Gloranthan stuff, we should set up a team structure:

1. Someone to edit down the files as needed;

2. Someone to order the files, proofread the edits and add explanatory text where needed;

3. Someone to do the layout.

What do you think?

It would be a good idea to have a private area of the forum for the contributors, to avoid threads getting bogged down in discussion.

Edited by Vile

I agree that the path of least resistance is to take out the Gloranthan stuff and rewrite/insert new material as necessary to preserve as much of the original as possible. That does mean, though, that we might need some clearence from Mr Peterson to make alterations and additions to his work.

I think your suggested team structure is right and I'm also with you on setting a private area to keep things controlled. I guess that will have to wait until Trifletraxor gets back (jumps on table, breaks glass).