The Unbearable Brightness of Molanni

metcalph

... is Molanni, "mother of Daga", somehow related to Entekos? Daga is paralleled by Yatelo the (deeply creepy) Hungry Sun in Six Ages. She is portrayed by Orlanthings as a woman in a submissive position. Is Molanni an Orlanthing interpretation of Yelm's Wife?

Molanni is listed in the Glorious ReAscent as being distinct from Dendara in the marriage contest p10 (with Uleria etc also appearing).

I assume this reflects the Sun chosing a consort from the other planets*.  Uleria is associated with the Mastakos planet, Verithurusa the planet that will later become the Red Moon, Dendara/Entekos the white planet and so the other deities represent the other planets: Artia, Lightfore, the Blue Moon etc.  But I haven't been able to make it all work.

*There's a winkle in that there are ten contestants but only nine other planets.  I think Ketenari is either a late addition to the myth (ie at the time when the contest took place there were no cities) or two successive lists have been combined together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Dara Happan tendency to "think mythology" in terms of planets always takes me a bit off guard, since I'm more used to the Theyalan tendency to more loosely classify by natural phenomenon/element. Not that the Orlanthi do not associate deities with planets, but the Dara Happans seem to use this as their guiding principle, which the Orlanthi are less prone to, if that makes sense. Just takes a while to grog.

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

The Dara Happan tendency to "think mythology" in terms of planets always takes me a bit off guard, since I'm more used to the Theyalan tendency to more loosely classify by natural phenomenon/element. Not that the Orlanthi do not associate deities with planets, but the Dara Happans seem to use this as their guiding principle, which the Orlanthi are less prone to, if that makes sense. Just takes a while to grog.

The thing about Entekos is that she's a female Storm deity with direly phallic imagery; we know her by a male Dara Happan name, EN+TEK+OS. Her Pelorian name and symbol is the infamous Addi, which is notably also the symbol of the Turoses, the lusty god Lodril and his sons, as well as the club of the storm god Doburdun.

I think Addi might be Jernotie (that's -a/us, the ol' "Latinx" thing), unless Jernotie is what Larnste turned into.

Dendara is clearly not the same entity as Entekos because she's a Water divinity, even in Dara Happa. Their division is I think the Jernotian riddle of the Entekosiad. Her Pelorian name is Fa Elsor but she is also identified as the "Striped One" and she is the mother of the seven phases of the Moons. Maybe she was the Blue Planet, or a river or a dragon, I don't really understand who she is. In the Empire, Dendara and Entekos are officially worshipped together for rain.

So the real question is: is Molanni an actual deity? Or is she a remnant of Orlanthis mocking the Good Wife, and then the DHs just writing that into the story, misunderstanding it? Molanni isn't someone that you'd actually worship and she throws off the appropriate DH number of wife-applicant count. Is she real, or a weird kind of invention?

• Like 1

Just now, Sir_Godspeed said:

If I had a penny for everytime that question has been asked about a Gloranthan deity... well, okay, it wouldn't massively affect my net worth, but I'd have a dime or a quarter, maybe, and that's, uh, that's something.

Grampa. what’s a penny?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Just now, Sir_Godspeed said:

If I had a penny for everytime that question has been asked about a Gloranthan deity... well, okay, it wouldn't massively affect my net worth, but I'd have a dime or a quarter, maybe, and that's, uh, that's something.

oh to know the canonical name of the god of spoons just to taunt you

Just now, Qizilbashwoman said:

hahahahaha well for sure Elmal's lover/bestie is Heler, imagine if it turns out Yelm's wife Dendara is a mask of Heler/a

It would be amazing. 

I was about to say I ship them, but truth be told I could never ship anyone with Dara Happan Yelm, he's kind of a knob-end.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Dude.

If you only have a quarter, you haven't been paying attention!

Chaosium has been charging penny-a-question on that, and it's their 3rd largest revenue-stream.

C'es ne pas un .sig