Pulp Cthulhu superhero game

Kijli

• 3 months later...

David Brin wrote a story "Thor Meets Captain America", an alternate history in which the NAZIs were saved from final defeat by the sudden appearance of the Norse Gods, all of whom side with the suddenly re-invigorated Axis powers, except Loki who betrays his fellow gods and joins the Allies.

The story focuses on Captain Chris Turing, who leads a suicidal attack on Valhalla, and his personal quest to understand the mystery of how and why the Gods appeared. In his final moment Chris understands the awful secret of the gods, why Loki never told them, and why his friends must never learn the secret.

Very well written - although the allies had nuclear weapons in this alternate reality and the NAZIs didn't, Loki counselled them not to use the weapons, because the power of the Norse gods would have increased in the resulting nuclear winter.

The story could make an interesting template for an unusual CoC scenario.

Edited by EricW
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, EricW said:

David Brin wrote a story "Thor Meets Captain America", an alternate history in which the NAZIs were saved from final defeat by the sudden appearance of the Norse Gods, all of whom side with the suddenly re-invigorated Axis powers, except Loki who betrays his fellow gods and joins the Allies.

The story focuses on Captain Chris Turing, who leads a suicidal attack on Valhalla, and his personal quest to understand the mystery of how and why the Gods appeared. In his final moment Chris understands the awful secret of the gods, why Loki never told them, and why his friends must never learn the secret.

Very well written - although the allies had nuclear weapons in this alternate reality and the NAZIs didn't, Loki counselled them not to use the weapons, because the power of the Norse gods would have increased in the resulting nuclear winter.

The story could make an interesting template for an unusual CoC scenario.

Sounds as backwards as a Tim Burton film... I love it!

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

There was a  Savage Worlds setting "The Day After Ragnarok'" that riffed on something like this.   Nazi  sorcerers summon the Midgard Serpent to earth,  to destroy the world rather than  see their cause defeated. The Serpent is killed  by a US A-bomb.  The death of  the Serpent,  whose corpse, upon falling into the sea, raises sea levels; has all kinds of apocalyptic effects. 

Diesel-punk Post-Apocalyptic with all kinds of Weird. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricW said:

The NAZIs would have raised Cthulhu and probably every other horror they could imagine if they had the knowledge. Its not like they were short of potential sacrifices to fuel their necromancy.

There was an Achtung Cthulhu scenario about that. Don't remember the title tho... 

• Like 1

I am actually working on a book series centering around superheros vs my own version of the Cthulhu mythos,  plus the influences of Overwatch and Command and Conquer. Some of my prequel series will deal with pulp inspired heroes fighting against Nazis trying to raise my version of Cthulhu's daughter, who moonlighted as a polynesian death goddess back in the day and fought against Maui and his people with an army of deep ones.

Edited by Old Man Henerson
  • Like 3

Sounds interesting! 😮

I wanna play with you as GM now!
Could I play Tracer back then when she was fighting alien monstrosity in unknown corner of the time streams?! 😮 

And.... does Winston knows about Cthulhu? What does he plan to do about it?

is Cthulhu's daughter a monstrosity herself or it's just propaganda?

So many questions! 😮 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Sounds interesting! 😮

I wanna play with you as GM now!
Could I play Tracer back then when she was fighting alien monstrosity in unknown corner of the time streams?! 😮 

And.... does Winston knows about Cthulhu? What does he plan to do about it?

is Cthulhu's daughter a monstrosity herself or it's just propaganda?

So many questions! 😮 

Why thank you. 😁 Tracer vs a time warping monster like those hounds of tindalos would be an epic fight. As for Winston, I think the best course of action would be for him to get D.Va and her friends to build a giant mecha to distract Cthulhu, with support from Genji since he is aparently good at fighting giant robots that fire car sized rounds. Meanwhile Winston and a few other heroes would fight there way through deep ones and cultists in the streets of R'lyeh guiding Winston's latest antimatter bomb to its center of the city and obliterate Cthulhu and his island once and for all.

And if they are lucky, Genji will only need to be healed once. XD

I have actually though a lot about if the omnipotent power of mythos beings was all just a massive propaganda campaign from them and their cultists to demoralize their enemies before attacking. I want to tackle questions like this in my book.

20 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I forgot to ask.. where to buy those books once published?! :P 

Most likely I will publish on Amazon. It seems like the best place for a new author to start out. If I am still on this fourm by then, I wil be sure to boost a link to it. Fair warning though, I have a very different take on the concept of the mythos, more like Lovecraft Lite.

Edited by Old Man Henerson
Spelling
  • Like 1

That's ok...  I don't really care about horror or Cthulhu, I am here for D100 system! :D  (BRP and Revolution D100 being my latest favorites)

Not to deny I did read some entertaining story in the past with Cthulhu mythos, just to say I am NOT a stickler with .. "authenticity" (is that the right word?), good and (or?) inventive (and believable) writing is what appeal to me! :) 

For some reason I just thought of Fritz Leiber and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser while writing that, hahah.. maybe I should read their stories again, in English this time... (Read it first in French when I was a kid... since I used to be French :P ).. but speaking of which, didn't Ningauble of the Seven Eyes itself said that all story are true in the right parallel universe?! :P

BTW, good on you to enlist DVa, she could be quite helpful there indeed! And she is kind of forgotten those latter day! (but hey, she might be back soon ^_^
Fighting in the street of R'lyeh! Wow! The untold truth finally revealed! 😮 Or is it now?

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

That's ok...  I don't really care about horror or Cthulhu, I am here for D100 system! :D  (BRP and Revolution D100 being my latest favorites)

Not to deny I did read some entertaining story in the past with Cthulhu mythos, just to say I am NOT a stickler with .. "authenticity" (is that the right word?), good and (or?) inventive (and believable) writing is what appeal to me! :) 

For some reason I just thought of Fritz Leiber and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser while writing that, hahah.. maybe I should read their stories again, in English this time... (Read it first in French when I was a kid... since I used to be French :P ).. but speaking of which, didn't Ningauble of the Seven Eyes itself said that all story are true in the right parallel universe?! :P

BTW, good on you to enlist DVa, she could be quite helpful there indeed! And she is kind of forgotten those latter day! (but hey, she might be back soon ^_^
Fighting in the street of R'lyeh! Wow! The untold truth finally revealed! 😮 Or is it now?

Yeah. I came her for the versatility of BRP my self. Cthulhu and his ilk have always been thematically interesting to me, the just seem like the most epic and ultimate foes imaginable to fight. Sure they are scary and powerful, but that is no reason for us to give up, everything has a weakness.

I have not heard of those authors and stories before, so I will have to check them out some time. Are they Lovecraft lite?

As for D.Va and Overwatch, while I have never played it, I used to follow it a lot during the early days, mostly hoping that it would be made into a movie. I am mostly familiar with the original cast, so I do not know mucho about the new people.

• Like 1

Fritz Leiber, I believe, is the one who originally coined the term "Sword and Sorcery" when he created the adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. It was back in the 50's and 60s. Nothing to do with Lovecraft.. though there might be some inspiration occasionally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Leiber

I think I can say without exaggerating he is one of those author who stand the test of time (thought it's a bit early yet to be so affirmative). I say that because I realise one day, in my French lesson at school, that Victor Hugo's story are as readable today as they were back then.. unlike some other... And I think Fritz Leiber has a timeless fantasy style... (I much prefer him over Tolkien.... he is more.. relatable and funny I'd say).

As for your take.. I never really like super hero (in theory) because they are so unrelatable (it might be why I like Marvel movie nonetheless, because they try hard to make their hero relatable in the movies), plus both Fritz Leiber and Marvel movie have this self deprecating humor while staying true to the fantasy they describe.

So.. with those forewords you can guess I might like your take on the Mythos even more than the original! ;) 

You never played Overwtach hey?! 😮
Well.. a PvE game is coming (Overwatch 2) and they might do some book / movie.. maybe.. at least we know they like the idea..

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Fritz Leiber, I believe, is the one who originally coined the term "Sword and Sorcery" when he created the adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. It was back in the 50's and 60s. Nothing to do with Lovecraft.. though there might be some inspiration occasionally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Leiber

I think I can say without exaggerating he is one of those author who stand the test of time (thought it's a bit early yet to be so affirmative). I say that because I realise one day, in my French lesson at school, that Victor Hugo's story are as readable today as they were back then.. unlike some other... And I think Fritz Leiber has a timeless fantasy style... (I much prefer him over Tolkien.... he is more.. relatable and funny I'd say).

Wow, Fritz and his friend sound like Tolkien and Lewis, which are my two favorite authors and inspirations. The stories sound like they are what inspired a lot of the D&D mechanics, I might have to look into them some time. :)

15 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

As for your take.. I never really like super hero (in theory) because they are so unrelatable (it might be why I like Marvel movie nonetheless, because they try hard to make their hero relatable in the movies), plus both Fritz Leiber and Marvel movie have this self deprecating humor while staying true to the fantasy they describe.

So.. with those forewords you can guess I might like your take on the Mythos even more than the original! ;) 

I am glad you like the Idea. :) As for my take, superpowers in my book are based more on Eastern philosophy and medicine than things like radiation and super-soldier serums,  making them more like super flashy Jedi or mythic martial artists than anything else. I am a huge fan of the Command and Conquer RTS games and science fiction in general so I am taking a more scientific/military science fiction rout as well.  Besides, Kane and the brotherhood of Nod from Command and Conquer make a great base for a more militaristic cult.  As for the tone of the series, I am aiming for something between Marvel's humor, the hopefulness of C.S. Lewis, and the stoic resistance against overwhelming forces of darkness that Tolkien creates in his books.  The prequels of my series will follow the development of the gold, silver, bronze, and dark ages of the comic book industry, starting out with pulp heroes in the late 1930s golden age and leading up to a sort of Marvel Civil War/Revenge of the Sith style ending in the dark age of the 90s. So I hope you enjoy it when it comes out! :)

16 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

You never played Overwtach hey?! 😮
Well.. a PvE game is coming (Overwatch 2) and they might do some book / movie.. maybe.. at least we know they like the idea..

8 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Good time to share that video too! :)

See, Genji would be perfect for fighting off Cthulhu with his mad deflection powers, if he would only stop whining to be healed every five minuets.😂  The PVE version of Overwatch is exactly what would have gotten me into the game back in the old days. I though that all interesting lore of Overwatch should have been made into some kind of campaign in the beginning instead of focusing too much on the esports crowd. Now, however, Overwatch has only a passing interest to me, but I still love the character designs and the concept of the story. Who was your favorite character?

Kane Lives.jpg

BTW I only knwo the name of "Command and conquer" and that is a game.. 😮 

As for Overwatch... I played almost non stop for the last 3 years until recently.... At the start I was aiming for the same amount of hours in every heroes, I am a jack of all trade..  😂

So I have more than one favorite!
Those days most my favorites are in the DPS camp... anyway, here we go:
- Pharah: she can fly, enough said! Plus fire rocket and she is, of course, cute
- Tracer: she can zip around unstoppable. In a pinch she can rewind time. Awesome abilities! Her weakness is that she is what one would call a glass canon and have stupid short range weapon.
- special mention: Zarya. well times bubble can save many lives. And make her an unstoppable force on the battlefield!
- special mention: Mei: she is smart, cute and a mad inventor like Iron Man! :P 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

BTW I only knwo the name of "Command and conquer" and that is a game.. 😮 

You should defiantly look it up, it is a really great games series that actually help define the RTS genre as a whole. I started with Red Alert 2, (a spin off series from the original Tiberium wars series) but the entire Command and Conquer franchise had a big impact on my childhood and my writing, even to the point where I have to draw up the armies and forces my books involve.  Aside from worshiping alien gods and using dark magic and powers, the cultists in my book take more inspiration from the Brotherhood of Nod in these games than from the works of Lovecraft.

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

As for Overwatch... I played almost non stop for the last 3 years until recently.... At the start I was aiming for the same amount of hours in every heroes, I am a jack of all trade..  😂

So I have more than one favorite!
Those days most my favorites are in the DPS camp... anyway, here we go:
- Pharah: she can fly, enough said! Plus fire rocket and she is, of course, cute
- Tracer: she can zip around unstoppable. In a pinch she can rewind time. Awesome abilities! Her weakness is that she is what one would call a glass canon and have stupid short range weapon.
- special mention: Zarya. well times bubble can save many lives. And make her an unstoppable force on the battlefield!
- special mention: Mei: she is smart, cute and a mad inventor like Iron Man! :P 

Yeah, I agree, it is much more fun to learn all the heroes instead of just one or two, it makes things more interesting.

I liked Phara and Tracer as well they had some cool weapons and equipment, it looked like a lot of fun to fly around dropping missiles on every one or zipping all over the place and delivering cheeky one liners as Tracer.  I was also a fan of 76, his design was cool, but I think that Winston was my favorite. How could you not love a big, brainy gorilla armed with hulkish rage and a Tesla gun? 

I was not as interested in Mei at first, but she has gone up in my eyes since the beginning of the game, she does have a lot of ice cool gadgets to use. :)  My brother really liked Play of the gam- I mean Bastion, it was realy cool that he could turn into a tank and that he had a fun little bird that followed him around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...