Campaign thoughts

Puckohue

I'm planning a new campaign starting with Borderlands campaign set in 1615. I want the PCs to be Sartar exiles from the same clan. I was pondering if I should make them be Red Cow exiles, just to keep the Eleven Lights-campaign as a possibility in the future. Otherwise I'd make them Ernaldori because of the newly published material.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Exiles because of their participation in the Starbrow Rebellion, or due to subsequent anti-Lunar activities? The Starbrow aftermath requires two years of narrative bridging. If your characters are Colymar, 1615 is a good year to go into exile in the wake of Blackmoor replacin Leika Ballista.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Exiles because of their participation in the Starbrow Rebellion, or due to subsequent anti-Lunar activities? The Starbrow aftermath requires two years of narrative bridging. If your characters are Colymar, 1615 is a good year to go into exile in the wake of Blackmoor replacin Leika Ballista.

I made the PCs who are going to the Risklands in my campaign Colymar, with the same thinking.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

... but really, given the ubiquity of (at least low-level) anti-Lunar sentiment, is there ANYWHERE in Sartar that a few exiles couldn't be from, in 1615?

That would make the exile mainly their fault, as opposed to swept along by a political development. The next such convenient event is the Firebull uprising among the Sambari and the dissolution of the Dundealos around 1618.

Going into exile is a major cutting of ties, even if it is understood as "for the time the Lunars are here" - as far as people know, that could be a couple of generations.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, Puckohue said:

In the RQ:G family history for year 1613 there’s both a ”relocated to Prax” and an ”outlawed by the Lunars” possibility. With no question about clan membership.

There's always an opportunity for "outlawed by the Lunars" - doesn't have to be tied to Starbrow's Rebellion, etc. Encouraging a clan feud (e.g. the Orlmarth of the Colymar with the Greydogs of the Lismelder; Red Cow members attacking an Emerald Sword stead where a Lunar is guesting), aiding rebels (e.g. Ashart Duskeater of the Cinsina), even just getting on the bad side of the local Lunar big-wig, could all get them exiled.  And where do they go? Pavis, but not much opportunity for employment there - but a certain Duke Raus is hiring!

• Like 1