What crafter deities are there in Glorantha?

Brootse

43 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Addi is the Darsenian name of Entekos, the breath woman, who gives speech. She's very perplexing, as she's a phallic Air deity (the addi is otherwise a very unsubtle symbol of Turos' phallos) and even has a male name in Dara Happa: EN+TEK+OS.

I'm not sure Os is a male ending, although the lack of a suffix does usually indicate a male deity (although there are rare exceptions.)

I think the terminal morpheme of Entekos' name is KOS, shared with Erekos (Full Jar) and Nasakos (Empty Jar) who are companions of Shafesora the Darsenite goddess of rain. (Who seems to be a servant/face of Entekos, thus providing a rain connection.)

It wouldn't surprise me if -kos means "water container." Usually a jar but likely clouds as well. Quite possibly derived from Os, meaning water (as in Oslira and Arcos)

As for Dendara on the gods wall, while it does look like a suspended spindle, it is interesting that she lacks a distaff to go with it. It could be a plumb, like the one wielded by Vanarthurd, another deity associated with western Peloria.

Edited by Tindalos

11 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

I'm not sure Os is a male ending, although the lack of a suffix does usually indicate a male deity (although there are rare exceptions.)

-os or -us is used in DH with names of male deities (although not all male deities have names that end in -os); -a is for female deities (same note)

So for example Erlandus and Erlanda are Orlanth and Ernalda; Yestendos and Surensliba, and so forth.

5 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

-os or -us is used in DH with names of male deities (although not all male deities have names that end in -os); -a is for female deities (same note)

So for example Erlandus and Erlanda are Orlanth and Ernalda; Yestendos and Surensliba, and so forth.

While -os is yet another variant of the -us/-as suffix, it may theoretically also be spelled with separate characters.

There's also some male entities with -a suffixes. Although Dara Happan names do have rules, there are some names that break them.

Of course Entekos was given as a name to a male deity first as well. As a title it just means "Right Air" anyway.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:37 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

Babeester Gor, like Sekhmet, was only subdued from murdering all life by tricking her with beer dyed the color of blood. I don't know if she's a patron of beer or not.

I just have it that Eurmal turned the blood of the slain healers in Healer Valley to beer and she drank it until she passed out. So, really, Eurmal could be a Brewer deity. one of his spells might have been Blood Beer, that turns blood into beer, but I can't remember. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/7/2019 at 2:32 AM, JanPospisil said:

In "Six Ages" the Hyalorings have:

Nyalda, the Earth Mother and wife of Elmal. (she gives a Crafting blessing, so I assume it's an Ernalda equivalent of weaving, pottery and whatnot)

Tepekos, the Smith. 
Perondeto, god of glass.
(maybe also Nocheli, goddess of the red dye insect?)

There's also Narva, goddess of beer and brewers.

Edited by Leingod

20 hours ago, soltakss said:

So, really, Eurmal could be a Brewer deity.

Eurmal can change a lot of things into other things. Doesn't make him a crafter. He sees Minlister making beer, thinks that's cool, and steals the magic to do it. Occasionally remembers he can do so and uses it, then forgets about it while he does something else.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, jajagappa said:

Eurmal can change a lot of things into other things. Doesn't make him a crafter. He sees Minlister making beer, thinks that's cool, and steals the magic to do it. Occasionally remembers he can do so and uses it, then forgets about it while he does something else.

The one thing Eurmal really crafts is pranks, nowadays.

In the West, Eurmal is known as Firebringer and Friend of Men, and probably is the bringer of civilization similar to Aptanace in Kralorela. His going against the other gods - especially the jealous Fire Emperor - makes him a Trickster.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

and that brings us to the hapless coyote with an Acme Company Catalog crafting his plans to nab the roadrunner. 

That's missing the topic by a couple of geographic miles, Mr. Barbarian. Acme is industrial production, not craft.

4 minutes ago, Joerg said:

That's missing the topic by a couple of geographic miles, Mr. Barbarian. Acme is industrial production, not craft.

I mighta taken a wrong tun at Albuquerque (opens a map and checks...)

No, access to that industrial companies catalog plus a hammer (also purchased from the said catalog) and one very fervid imagination and voila. Its kind of like the kind of crafting a wily canadian get’s up to at Canada Tire (our version of Acme).

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

and access to that industrial companies catalog plus a hammer (also purchased from the said catalog) and one very fervid imagination and voila. Its kind of like the kind of crafting a wily canadian get’s up to at Canada Tire (our version of Acme).

That's like saying that screwing together an Ikea shelf makes you a cabinet maker...

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

and that brings us to the hapless coyote with an Acme Company Catalog crafting his plans to nab the roadrunner. 

I forget who if anyone in Glorantha acknowledges Coyote as Trickster. Prax has Hyena and lisping Dara Happans have that wascally wabbit.

Coyote is one Bad Dog so this might be a Sairdite story coexisting alongside Fox and Raccoon.

singer sing me a given