I Fought We Won Heroquest reward

Alexandre

Hi,

my players just went through a rendition of the I Fought We Won battle in a (sort of) Heroquest. What could be an appropriate reward? One of them survived a scorpion man's sting, so I was thinking of giving him a +4 CON vs scorpion man poison. Otherwise? Just a plain increase to the skills used in the battle (after all, they should not need to roll to see if they leaned something fighting in the greatest battle ever!) seems to me rather bland. Can you suggest me something more flavorful?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

A natural passion/ability to Stand Against Chaos. I suggest a new Passion as it seems to fit the 'emotional' state of surviving the battle and knowing that you can do so again. It can be used subsequently as an augment during battle, to Orate to rally others, to resist against chaotic magical attacks, or similar. Optionally it could be a magical ability. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shawn Carpenter said:

One of the key lessons from the I Fought We Won battle is (to my mind) that unity defeats Chaos. Maybe instead of giving each player a specific skill raise, you could give them some sort of joint benefit when they all act together or are inspiring others to act together. 

I FOUGHT WE WON is a pretty rough heroquest if you're really heroquesting and not just doing it as a glorified ritual masquerade to remember it happened. I'd also say give them a bonus which improves when they act in concert!

That sting gave her the strength to resist foul poisons and toxins and disease, the tools of Chaos, but when she works with other Heroes, she also gets a strong heart!

Is there a way to use feats with passions? (Sorry, I'm still really bad at the RQG rules, as I'm sure is evident.) I know you can use feats with skills; could you attach a feat as a reward to a Passion that is bravery against Chaos? "Unity Brings Strength" gives you a nice fat bonus. Maybe it's a hack but hey, it's a heroquest reward, that's what those things are for.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexandre said:

All members of the hero band are protected by a 1 point impede chaos when they defend together against a chaos foe?

1 point? This is RuneQuest, right?

I think... whatever they are called, FEATS, are 10 point buffs to skills!

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

21 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Feats are from heroquest, aren't they? Or did I miss them in RQ:AiG? Anyway Impede Chaos gives -20%/point to enemy attacks, so 1 point seems balanced to me (given it affects 6 targets, which is 2 POW using the Wyter rules). 

oh you're giving it to the wyter, my bad

13 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

I think it makes sense, no? That's what is tying them together after all. 

a wyter is for communities of like 50+ and is bound to the either the head of that community or a priest dedicated to the wyter. RQG, 287. 

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

a wyter is for communities of like 50+ and is bound to the either the head of that community or a priest dedicated to the wyter. RQG, 287. 

Heroquesters usually have a significant number of lay members, or in other words supporters for their otherworldly endeavors, which enables them to maintain a hero band wyter at much lower head counts. I said it before, but the Lightbringers numbered just six people, and they found a wyter for their quest. (Ok, one human, and five deities, most of them rune owners, so not your average small fry heroes.)

The priesthood of the wyter can be transferred from the community leader to another person. This may make sense even with a wyter bound into a landmark, as the wyter can cast (and multiply) any spell known to the wyter priest (in RQG, and quite likely to some extent in HQG as well). In the case of a portable wyter (like the Colymar Black Spear), this makes even more sense if the new priest acts as a quester on behalf of the community.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I don't know the HeroQuest itself, but I feel like an epic adventure like that should yield epic rewards... Like permanent poison immunity (all poisons) or a permanent increase of CON for the player who resisted the sting.

I would relate the reward/power to the way they each killed or defended against an adversary, individually.

13 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

True, the table starts from 50 people. But a community is defined as:

The community may vary, and wyters
have been associated with everything from villages, military
regiments, temples, clans, tribes, and cities. Any community
with an associated Passion has a wyter.

so to me a small hero band can have its own wyter, as long as the heroes have a loyalty passion to each other (and maybe the support of their communities). Of course it will not be as strong as the wyter of a 50+ people community (I was thinking of POW 2D6+6, CHA 2D6). At least not initially, but there is nothing that prevents the hero party growing into a full hero band with followers etc.

• Like 1

Depending on how strong the HeroQuest was, the PC who survived a Scorpionman sting could get +4 CON against Scorpionman Poison, +4 CON against Poisons, double CON against Scorpionman Poison,  double CON against Poisons, immunity to Scoprpionman Poison or immunity to all Poisons. some GMs fall into the trap of limiting HeroQuest gifts all the time, when a more powerful gift can be appropriate.

A Unity Bonus could be relevant, as could an Adversity bonus. After all, the central premise of I Fought We Won is that the participants all fight alone, but win together. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here