RuneQuest Glorantha Q&A pages

Scotty

All of the current answers from Jason's RuneQuest Core Rules Questions thread have been added to four Q&A pages:

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha – Q&A by Chapter

RuneQuest Gamemaster Screen Pack – Q&A

RuneQuest Glorantha Bestiary – Q&A

The Red Book of Magic – Q&A

They are organised by Chapter and in page number order.

You can search them:

• minimum of three characters - eg Q&A
  • use quotes to find an exact reference eg "page 54"

It not only contains Jason's thread, but : Rune Fixes 3rd July 2018,Second Printing Clarifications, Corrections and Additions 1.0.0. and clarifications from a translation document. 

Due to the limitations of this site, answers by Jason outside of his main thread have not been added as I can't search easily for them. If you know of any please add the link below. If there are any relevent answers by Jeff I will also include them them.

This is a growing resource and further answers will be added when available.

If you have a Question, please ask on the RuneQuest Rules Q&A thread.

Edited by Scotty
updated 8 Feb 2021
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

I recently bought the slipcase set, and it clearly states on the cover that a map "Of Glorantha Itself" is included... There is Apple Lane, Clearwine, Dragon Pass, but no Glorantha….. I hate to be "That Guy" but I did pay good money for this edition and that map was a carrot (I love maps). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Fantastic presentation and evolution of my favourite setting, by the way. Love the artwork and expanded character generation and bestiary. Just redo duck pond, duck tower and duck point ;) (Ducks are cool)

10 hours ago, Dirk Le Daring said:

I hate to be "That Guy" but I did pay good money for this edition and that map was a carrot (I love maps). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the product description on the Chaosium website?

Additional materials include a 20-page reference booklet full of charts and references for ease of play, a 16-page full-color Gloranthan calendar, seven ready-to-play pregenerated adventurer characters, regular and deluxe adventurer sheets, squad and a non-player character sheets, as well as full-color fold-out maps of Apple Lane, Clearwine, Dragon Pass, and the world of Glorantha itself.

If so, then yeah, sadly, those last few words are not correct, there's no map of Glorantha as a whole in the slipcase set as far as I can tell. Even the Glorantha Sourcebook only has a few maps that cover Genertela, with most maps focusing on Dragon Pass and its surroundings (although it has a few God Time maps based on God Learner documents, which show you the entirety of Glorantha at various points in non-time before it took on the shape we know now). For maps of the entirety of Glorantha you'd have to look at the Guide To Glorantha and the (controversial) Argan Argrar Atlas.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

4 hours ago, creativehum said:

Why? -- how? -- is the Argan Argar Atlas controversial?

Maybe controversial is the wrong word? But basically I have seen several online reviews that expressed disappointment with the product. The physical version (which I don't own) supposedly has not-great printing quality, and the PDF version (which I do own) is downright unreadable in some cases, so much so that the map legend is a separate downloadable JPEG file on the Chaosium website because you can't read it on the PDF. It's also generally speaking quite bare-bones: it's really just the assembled "green" maps that you can see in the (amazing) Guide to Glorantha, but without much else (no roads, no population info, etc.).

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Are you talking about the product description on the Chaosium website?

Additional materials include a 20-page reference booklet full of charts and references for ease of play, a 16-page full-color Gloranthan calendar, seven ready-to-play pregenerated adventurer characters, regular and deluxe adventurer sheets, squad and a non-player character sheets, as well as full-color fold-out maps of Apple Lane, Clearwine, Dragon Pass, and the world of Glorantha itself.

If so, then yeah, sadly, those last few words are not correct, there's no map of Glorantha as a whole in the slipcase set as far as I can tell. Even the Glorantha Sourcebook only has a few maps that cover Genertela, with most maps focusing on Dragon Pass and its surroundings (although it has a few God Time maps based on God Learner documents, which show you the entirety of Glorantha at various points in non-time before it took on the shape we know now). For maps of the entirety of Glorantha you'd have to look at the Guide To Glorantha and the (controversial) Argan Argrar Atlas.

I was referring to what is actually printed on the slipcase, and on the gamemasters pack that came with it. That being the most important, as it is essentially "as advertised", however, the website was also where I first read it was included. I have the Guide to Glorantha on order though. However it would have been nice to have the map I had hoped for, as it would be great on the wall. Thanks for the reply and info though.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:19 AM, Dirk Le Daring said:

I recently bought the slipcase set, and it clearly states on the cover that a map "Of Glorantha Itself" is included... There is Apple Lane, Clearwine, Dragon Pass, but no Glorantha….. I hate to be "That Guy" but I did pay good money for this edition and that map was a carrot (I love maps). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

For what it's worth, all of Glorantha is visible in the illustration/"map" on page 16 of the core rulebook, which is in the slipcase set ;).

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

8 hours ago, Crel said:

For what it's worth, all of Glorantha is visible in the illustration/"map" on page 16 of the core rulebook, which is in the slipcase set ;).

I noticed that. It's a very good illustration of the world structure, but not much as a map. I do quite like it.

8 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

And if maps are needed, you can check Glorantha map (1.5 Mo) and Genertela map (14,5 Mo) on good old
https://www.glorantha.com/docs/map-of-glorantha/

Very good maps indeed, thank you for the link. Would be fantastic to be able to get them on paper or, better still cloth/canvas.... Genertela at 1 metre by 2 metres, and Glorantha at 1 Metre by 1 metre would be epic.

4 minutes ago, Dirk Le Daring said:

Very good maps indeed, thank you for the link. Would be fantastic to be able to get them on paper or, better still cloth/canvas.... Genertela at 1 metre by 2 metres, and Glorantha at 1 Metre by 1 metre would be epic.

It would indeed, although I find those maps a bit... bland. The "zoomed in" maps feel more interesting to me, but of course your mileage may vary. And your Glorantha. Everything varies. Still, if you're interested in Dragon Pass maps of various styles, for instance (and a lot of other Gloranthan goodness), you can check out Chaosium's Redbubble store, like, say, the cartography section! You can print those maps on posters, canvas, cloth, even bed sheets and pouches and stuff! (I have the RQ2 classic Dragon Pass/Prax map on my pencils pouch for instance, it looks nice).

Oh by the way you can still apparently grab some physical copies of the Genertela and Glorantha map sets but watch out... first, they come as multiple poster sheets (not one big poster) and second, once you assemble it, it's a huuuuuge map.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some clarifications to the 1624/1625 timeline of the Prax / Dragon Pass region change the content of the RQG core book.  According to RQG p.125 in the Prax/Homelands description of Moonbroth, the 2nd Battle (Argrath defeating the Lunars) takes place in 1625.  Some of the Glorantha Sourcebook implies the same date:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/11708-the-fate-of-the-sable-tribe/?do=findComment&comment=179552

However, Jeff and MOB have both firmly stated otherwise -- 2nd Moonbroth was 1624:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/11805-ask-jeff-glorantha-lore-questions/?do=findComment&comment=180706

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/10212-yelmalio-again-or-why-i-ruined-your-glorantha-redux/?do=findComment&comment=164414

RQG can just have the date changed as a typo/erratum.

I think a rephrasing is called for in the GS.

C'es ne pas un .sig

52 minutes ago, g33k said:

RQG can just have the date changed as a typo/erratum.

I think a rephrasing is called for in the GS.

Depends -- I think both Jeff's and MOB's comments are merely reports from their own games. It's possible that Jeff changes the events a bit for the Dragon Pass Campaign book and re-aligns the date to 1625 to keep published books consistent. Or not.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Q&A entry (core rulebook, Chapter 5) on Thunder Lung at the Well of Daliath appears to be incorrect.

It says that the stages of Thunder Lung (p.155) should be changed from mild/chronic/acute/terminal to mild/chronic/serious/terminal, whereas it should be mild/acute/serious/terminal in order to match the Degrees of Illness table on p.154.

Edited by Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The Q&A entry for the core rulebook p.197, (Chapter 7) says that the rules on p.218 for which hit location takes excess damage in a shield parry should really say that it's the shield arm (not the originally rolled location).

This needs to be duplicated in a Q&A entry specifically for p.218 in its own section (currently missing). Otherwise someone looking at the rulebook p.218 and then cross-referencing the Q&A for anything relating to this page is unlikely to find this entry.

• Scotty locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic