Travelling Shelter

Dan Z

15 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Prax is likely to use large tents. They are permanently mobile.

It may be worth noting that, among nomadic societies, "permanently" mobile may mean seasonally or periodically mobile.  No fixed and structurally founded locale, but mobile encampments where they may may stay for weeks or months, though there may be semi-permanent locations that are returned to.  In militaresque terms, think of a mobile, but semi-permanent HQ that serves as a strategic base for smaller, more short-term tactical missions.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

4 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

It may be worth noting that, among nomadic societies, "permanently" mobile may mean seasonally or periodically mobile.  No fixed and structurally founded locale, but mobile encampments where they may may stay for weeks or months, though there may be semi-permanent locations that are returned to.  In militaresque terms, think of a mobile, but semi-permanent HQ that serves as a strategic base for smaller, more short-term tactical missions.

The moment I started reading this that ever so familiar theme music started swelling, followed by the sound of choppers and the thought; Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. M*A*S*H* came unbidden to mind.

Cheers

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

16 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The moment I started reading this that ever so familiar theme music started swelling, followed by the sound of choppers and the thought; Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. M*A*S*H* came unbidden to mind.

Cheers

M*A*S*H I can understand.  Cheers, not so much.

But, yes, that's exactly what was on my mind, too.  I was also thinking of Mongolian and Inuit communities that move seasonally and set up semi-permanent hunting camps.  There are also desert-dwelling cultures that move nomadically from oasis to oasis in similar fashion, usually for herding.  There's a difference between being permanently nomadic and constantly on the move.  Even the Israelites during their 40 years wandering in the desert settled down periodically in what we today might refer to as refugee camps.

!i!

• Haha 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green