I have to give a talk...

Ochoa

There are no, I repeat no. ducks in this game (hush yer beak, now Yozarian, we got marks... er chaosium customers here). NO DUCKS! Got it Ochoa, now off ya go fer yer speech.

Kids these daze gotta tell 'em everyting.

NO DUCKS, that’s the other game!

Honestly, you do not need advice so I will not give any (other than no ducks :)...you’ll do as well as any of us could do. Have fun!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 10/9/2019 at 1:27 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

What if I want to play ah old grizzled veteran fighter duck?! 😮 

We all have our crosses err, death runes to bear, Mine is I want to play a rich powerful kickass duck godling in training but , no!!!!

Anywho, that’s for the marks, err, customers that won’t buy a game with ducks who speak like they come from brooklyn. Youse can play any kinda duck ya want.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When describing the system strengths, I would focus on how logical the core mechanics are, how tactile combat feels, and the fact that everyone can do a bit of magic at times.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

If you have access to a screen, I suggest sharing some of the pictures you've shared on the forums! A good way to highlight the hobby.

What's the general theme of your talk? "Here's What RQG's About" or "Intro to Tabletop" or whatnot?

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

4 hours ago, Crel said:

If you have access to a screen, I suggest sharing some of the pictures you've shared on the forums! A good way to highlight the hobby.

What's the general theme of your talk? "Here's What RQG's About" or "Intro to Tabletop" or whatnot?

Last year for my first talk I spoke with the host about how RPGs had evolved during my lifetime, the plethora of  different systems for different types of play availible now, and how a little work should be put into researching systems other than DnD . I'm thinking about calling this years' talk something along the lines of "This isn`t your generic Forgotten Middle Realms". 

Portfolio at www.juanochoa.co

31 minutes ago, Ochoa said:

Last year for my first talk I spoke with the host about how RPGs had evolved during my lifetime, the plethora of  different systems for different types of play availible now, and how a little work should be put into researching systems other than DnD . I'm thinking about calling this years' talk something along the lines of "This isn`t your generic Forgotten Middle Realms". 

Sounds to me like you should start with Cults of Prax, especially since it's the 40 year anniversary. It highlights both non-medieval Europe setting as well as emphasizing depth and creativity in the early stages of the hobby.

I imagine other useful points of impact for Glorantha v. medieval Europe would be where Glorantha plays with standard fantasy tropes. I.e., dream dragons, plant-people Aldryami (although that's not really all that unusual anymore, I suppose...), and so on.

If you're looking to talk about other settings/games, Eberron for D&D might be a good "comfort zone" to start with, since it's not exactly medieval Europe--warforged etc, after all--but it's still a setting folks would be familiar with. Or looking at how system melds with setting, I'm told King Arthur Pendragon is excellent, and I personally enjoy the recent RPG Overlight (well, more for its unique setting than the integration with mechanics, if I'm honest).

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

4 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

You could highlight RQ's morality system, which focuses on alignment to social institutions (clans, cults, etc.) instead of alignment to abstract moral concepts. I always felt that was a strength of non-DnD systems.

True enough, the only alignment system I have played that made any sense after a moment or two of reflection was Stormbringer.

• Like 1

Since you'are likely to get some people interested in playing, I'd give the classic "how to begin" advice -- start small, and grow the players' experience incrementally as their characters experience it (or as they are about to experience it -- you don't want them to find out for the first time what Trolls are like, when they are in a pitch-black cave with a bunch of Uz...).

Everyone from one clan  is classic (or tribe for Praxians, House for Esrolians, etc).  I also like "one cult," with cultic ties substituting for tribal/family ones.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig