WeAreAllUs: download 'The Rattling Wind' for RuneQuest, released in memory of Greg Stafford

MOB

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 2:53 AM, dougiepunk said:

So if Sartarite rebels ambush a Lunar army unit, do they need to inform the relatives of the slain soldiers?

Soldiers in the field, marching under arms, are fair game (including for ambush, etc).  There is no hint of hospitality law applying.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:53 AM, dougiepunk said:

... Sorry, I don’t believe a Lunar solder and Seven Mother’s Rune Lord falls under the auspices of Sartarite law and Heortling custom ...

I think this very much depends.  Is the Rune Lord savvy enough to engage with all the appropriate laws and customs?  Swear guest-oath, and behave as a guest ought?

Then, yeah... they gain the benefits, however unwilling the hosts are.

Many of the RL sources of Glorantha -- the folklore, mythology, customs, etc -- have examples of heroes forced to be good hosts, or forcing others to host them; also of loopholes & violations exploited to bloody & accursed advantage!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, g33k said:
On 10/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, dougiepunk said:

... Sorry, I don’t believe a Lunar solder and Seven Mother’s Rune Lord falls under the auspices of Sartarite law and Heortling custom ...

I think this very much depends.  Is the Rune Lord savvy enough to engage with all the appropriate laws and customs?  Swear guest-oath, and behave as a guest ought?

And this is exactly what Lawyers are for. You have a legal dispute and the Law Speaker decides by interpreting the law. The Lunars might have their own law Speaker and the two law Speakers might debate to see who gets the best result.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Played this on Halloween on Roll20 with a bunch of RQ newbies. My first session as GM with RQG as well as first on Roll20.

Good fun, we used the pre-gen characters, they chased off the initial attack, criticaled persuading the Red Smith to tell them what happened, and one of them got the idea about appeasing it. 

As it was a one-off and time was pressing I avoided it getting all ducked up on the way to the lake as they were going of course badly there. 

One of the ducks got killed in locating it, but then they managed to pull of their plan. 

Everyone had fun and now it looks like I might be running a RQG campaign in Roll20 if I get enough people in. 

• Like 2

• Rick Meints unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a leetle late for me to be asking this, as I'm GM'ing this tomorrow. But there's a very odd rules question here. The Rattling Wind is undead, no POW, but has a bunch of very appropriate and useful to it rune spells. How does it cast them on my PC's? With its magic points?

Rune spells require rune points, but for a POW vs POW role, I would use the magic points in absence of biologically regenerating POW.

"Find Enemies" from its collection of rune spells might be the road to a TPK if the players feel heroic enough to ambush the yet unknown danger. That whip attack and a situational modifier for darkness and slippery ground may be too much.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Yeah I could have totally destroyed the party when I did a one-off. Partially as they were newbies, but also because even if they had had experience it would be impressive to come up with a good strategy to knock it out. 

I was impressed one used a Fire Elemental, but that moved way too slow to inflict anything other than damage on a single pass through it. 

But one came up with the other way to neutralise it (avoiding spoilers) which was cool. 

23 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

Yeah I could have totally destroyed the party when I did a one-off. Partially as they were newbies, but also because even if they had had experience it would be impressive to come up with a good strategy to knock it out. 

With several of my players coming from a D&D 4E campaign, I've hammered it into them that encounters in RQ are not necessarily balanced and that running away or refusing combat is absolutely acceptable and frequently wise. At least that way, they come into things with a reasonable attitude.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

We played this yesterday.  A slightly lucky hit in round 1 took out the bad guys.  Disappointing.

Not clear to us how the villagers should "atone" for their crime.  Do we report them and they do the equivalent a lot of Hail Marys?

The background and mystery were very well done.  But perhaps too deep for PCs to figure out?  Has anybody played it where the PCs figured it out?  Our PCs are pretty battle oriented...

That must have been a very lucky hit as the bad guys (avoiding spoilers) are not very crunchy. Anything but. I was expecting the second encounter with the big bad to get a little sticky for the PCs, but one of them had figured out the non-combat resolution.

The villagers arguably have nothing to atone for as Sartarites having a go at Loonies is actually encouraged behaviour. It was only kept on the down low at the time because of the power balance, and maybe hushed up a little since then as the new power balance is not stable, and maybe there was a grey area about the rules of hospitality. I felt their shiftiness was a little unlikely.

Like some French villager being embarrassed they killed an SS Officers when they were in the resistance,

Part of the problem there is that we get the Bad Guys all morphed into a single entity (also making the use of the hit point table absurd). And it doesn't even have its mother sharing its lair.

My players were primed to run away, but getting caught by that whip...

For a weapon that has no stats in the rules book, this OP weapon is featured way too often in the freebie scenarios.

And the special weakness of that antagonist... there is the Shield spell available to it.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 1 year later...