Golem

Lloyd Dupont

I am having a lot of magical statue, i.e. golem, in this Dark Elf setting.

In fact we stop the game today just before fighting one...

I am wondering about the stats... Bear in mind that the stat should be, somehow, linked to an Enchant spell.

I just came up with that creation spell, how about that?

Create Golem

Enchant

Each material has an inner strength / AP value (Stone 6, Iron 8, Steel 9, Adamantium 12) and the spell’s might should match it plus the size of the statue. Additional point can go either to improved toughness or physical might. Base toughness is size class (and NOT size class x2) but the golem is immune to slash and impale.

Remark: For a given size class a golem is smaller than the same class size real creature, due to the statue solid and dense material. So golem are likely to be small, after all! 😮 

In case you haven't seen it, Merrie England: Robyn Hode has Golems.

Golem

Created by Holy Men, a golem is an animated clay shape, normally in humanoid form, either inscribed with magical words or with words inscribed on parchment in the creator's blood. Golems are mindless servants, capable of following simple verbal instructions, or more detailed instructions written on the parchment that animated them. Golems cannot speak and this is one way of determining if a creature is a golem.

Characteristic

Attribute

d6/d8

AP/Cov

AP/Cov

Toughness

STR

5d6

Size Class

L

R Leg

–/–

5/0+

CON

-

-

Might

+4

L Leg

–/–

5/0+

DEX

2d6

Strike Rank

Torso

–/–

5/0+

INT

Encumbrance

R Arm

–/–

5/0+

WIL

2d6

Life Points

n/a

L Arm

–/–

5/0+

CHA

Move

Head

–/–

5/0+

Weapon

SR

SR to ATT/Def

Damage

Parry

Special

Fist

3/–

1d4+4d2

crush

Trample

3/–

4d2

crush

Skills:

Agility [Brawn] 37%, Perception [Track] 43%, Stealth [Appear as Statue, Hide] 47%

Armour:

Stone skin (5/0+)

Powers:

Immunity to Disease, Pain, Poison and Bleeding

Notes:

As an automaton, the golem has no Life Points and does not suffer from incapacitation if a limb is destroyed. Only complete demolition of the head or torso will stop it.

Any Medium-sized opponent is at -2 to Strike Rank when fighting a Golem. The creature’s Brawn Trait increases its Might as though its average STR was 1 point higher.

A golem has a magical word written on part of its body, normally its head. If that word is removed, the golem becomes deactivated. Some golems have a magical inscription written on calf parchment placed in their mouths that contains the golem's instructions.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

While Enchant/Ritual only spells are still possible in Revolution D100, the approach we recommend is the same as that found in 13th Age: you use slots only for spell formats you can cast in combat, the rest is just a ritualized form of this basic magic. So basically a Golem is a construct you make by using the Shape Stone base power.

However, which is the difference between a random guy with Shape Stone (not so common a spell in any case) and a wise Rabbi who can create golems? Well, in short it is a blueprint. The kabbalistic ritual to create a golem is nothing but a magic blueprint that the construct maker must use, and that you cannot learn until you also know Shape Stone. The crafting process involves both Craft and Concentration, so a good construct maker should be skilled in both. The result for stone golems is something similar to the statistics found in Merrie England. Toughness should be normal, otherwise the golem would be as resistant as a skeleton.

Thank you for bringing this subject forth, folks. It was important to formalise it before we release the new SRD.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

1 hour ago, RosenMcStern said:

The kabbalistic ritual to create a golem is nothing but a magic blueprint that the construct maker must use, and that you cannot learn until you also know Shape Stone.

Historically, golems are a Dangerous Mistake. It requires deep applied theology (however that works in your system, i.e. magic) to make one because you're creating sentience - it's not necromancy, but depending on your game, it might be worse! This is what Mary Shelley gave us in the (novel!) Frankenstein, which is a relatively excellent spin on the original story of the Golem of R. Löwe of Prague: a golem furious at the demiurge who recklessly made it.

It's the perfect thing for a sorcerer to make, because that's basically what sorcerers are all about: a little knowledge and a lot of hubris.

• Like 1

Hi!

Well this is perfect horor background information for a game like Cthulhu! :D
Or in fact, as general culture, I wonder what famous books or story will feature such that I could read!?

My inspiration as a GM, however, comes more from a love-hate relationship with D&D (as far as fantasy settings are concerned)...  Magical statue guardian are on the love side of it, and have little horror background associated with it! :D 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont