Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to be explicitly said, but it sure feels like there's a BRP update coming. Is this clear and I'm slow? or is this wishful thinking?

Sadly looks like wishful thinking. Chaosium has stated that they have no plans to update BRP. This could of course change, but looks unlikely to in the near future.

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to be explicitly said, but it sure feels like there's a BRP update coming. Is this clear and I'm slow? or is this wishful thinking?

No, and no:  No (#1) -- there isn't "a BRP update coming."  There is no project, no manuscript, no author.  But also...

No (#2) it isn't mere wishful thinking, because Chaosium IS talking about such a project... speculatively.

I think they are trying to gauge interest, trying to see if there is anything like a singular vision they could produce, that would satisfy enough of the market.  No point in producing the book *I* want if the majority of fans would lift their noses at such a sorry excresence ... and the same for any particular "vision" expressed here.

Not holding my breath; even if Chaosium goes gangbusters for it, the thing is a long, LONG, LONG ways away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g33k said:

No, and no:  No (#1) -- there isn't "a BRP update coming."  There is no project, no manuscript, no author.  But also...

No (#2) it isn't mere wishful thinking, because Chaosium IS talking about such a project... speculatively.

I think they are trying to gauge interest, trying to see if there is anything like a singular vision they could produce, that would satisfy enough of the market.  No point in producing the book *I* want if the majority of fans would lift their noses at such a sorry excresence ... and the same for any particular "vision" expressed here.

Not holding my breath; even if Chaosium goes gangbusters for it, the thing is a long, LONG, LONG ways away!

I guess, Jeffrywith1e is referring to the new announcement: "Chaosium Inc. and author Ben Aaronovitch are pleased to announce that Chaosium has acquired the rights to produce the Rivers of London Roleplaying Game, based on Aaronovitch’s best-selling urban fantasy fiction chronicling the world of the Folly. The game will use elements of the company’s Basic Roleplaying system, as well as original, customized rules to reflect the series’ inventive take on the fantastic—from Newtonian magic to the strange powers wielded by the rivers and other supernatural beings that inhabit the popular novels and comics. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to be explicitly said, but it sure feels like there's a BRP update coming. Is this clear and I'm slow? or is this wishful thinking?

4 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Sadly looks like wishful thinking. Chaosium has stated that they have no plans to update BRP. This could of course change, but looks unlikely to in the near future.

SDLeary

Awww

3 hours ago, g33k said:

No (#2) it isn't mere wishful thinking, because Chaosium IS talking about such a project... speculatively.

 

Seeing as it was Rick who asked the question with absolutely no promises, just asking, temperature check like the kids are saying these days... and he has always been business and a straight shooter I will take it as what it is... one canstill  dream abut a return to glory days like when Chaosium coulda bin a contenduh.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, g33k said:

No (#2) it isn't mere wishful thinking, because Chaosium IS talking about such a project... speculatively.

 

Yes, speculatively. With as much as they seem to have on their plate right now, I'm not holding my breath, but would LOVE to be surprised. After all...

  • No Mythic Iceland yet
  • A Space/SciFi game announced
  • And the new Rivers of London, previously mentioned
  • Pendragon back in the stable
  • And all the "regular" work on RQ/Glorantha, Cthulhu, and getting the HQ SRD and Gateway stuff going

There are only so many hours in the day, and Chaosium is by no stretch of the imagination "large".

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Seeing as it was Rick who asked the question with absolutely no promises, just asking, temperature check like the kids are saying these days... and he has always been business and a straight shooter I will take it as what it is... one canstill  dream abut a return to glory days like when Chaosium coulda bin a contenduh.

Exactly.

It's simply a possibility they are considering.  Nothing may ever come of it.  They may decide to scrap the notion.  Or shelve it for a few more years, and revisit the possibility later.

But it is, at least, a genuine (if unlikely) possibility... rather than mere "wishful thinking."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prinz.slasar said:

I guess, Jeffrywith1e is referring to the new announcement: "Chaosium Inc. and author Ben Aaronovitch are pleased to announce that Chaosium has acquired the rights to produce the Rivers of London Roleplaying Game, based on Aaronovitch’s best-selling urban fantasy fiction chronicling the world of the Folly. The game will use elements of the company’s Basic Roleplaying system, as well as original, customized rules to reflect the series’ inventive take on the fantastic—from Newtonian magic to the strange powers wielded by the rivers and other supernatural beings that inhabit the popular novels and comics. "

I don't think so; he specifically said a "BRP update" and cited this thread, particularly.  No sign, IMHO, of RoL ...

But we should ask!  What WERE you asking about, @Jeffrywith1e ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g33k said:

I don't think so; he specifically said a "BRP update" and cited this thread, particularly.  No sign, IMHO, of RoL ...

But we should ask!  What WERE you asking about, @Jeffrywith1e ?

 

Honestly, I was not referring to the Rivers of London announcement. However, I'm extremely thrilled to hear about that and I'm off to go get familiar with that series.

I was reading through this thread and it simply sounded like there was more hope for an update than I've heard for a while. Especially the wording in Rick Meints' post, sounded to me like there's a desire to do it, at least. I love the BRP BGB and would love to see an update.

Edited by Jeffrywith1e
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be missing the point here, but yesterday at Dragonmeet in London, at the "Runequestions" seminar Chaosium (Jeff, Jason, MOB and Ian) announced that as well as the upcoming OGL and SRD for Questworlds (HeroQuest rules), they will also be releasing an OGL and SRD for BRP. So that sounded like an updated BRP, and not only that, since with the OGL people will be allowed to publish their own altered version of BRP (with a few restrictions, e.g. you won't be allowed to produce your own BRP based on Glorantha, Pendragon or Cthulhu).

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve said:

I might be missing the point here, but yesterday at Dragonmeet in London, at the "Runequestions" seminar Chaosium (Jeff, Jason, MOB and Ian) announced that as well as the upcoming OGL and SRD for Questworlds (HeroQuest rules), they will also be releasing an OGL and SRD for BRP. So that sounded like an updated BRP, and not only that, since with the OGL people will be allowed to publish their own altered version of BRP (with a few restrictions, e.g. you won't be allowed to produce your own BRP based on Glorantha, Pendragon or Cthulhu).

Is there a transcript or video of this seminar anywhere? It really sounds too good to be true considering all the work they went to to pull licenses (BRP licenses not Glorantha, that I can completely understand). Also, @MOB is also pretty damn well on it when it comes to his announcements. 

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve said:

I might be missing the point here, but yesterday at Dragonmeet in London, at the "Runequestions" seminar Chaosium (Jeff, Jason, MOB and Ian) announced that as well as the upcoming OGL and SRD for Questworlds (HeroQuest rules), they will also be releasing an OGL and SRD for BRP. So that sounded like an updated BRP, and not only that, since with the OGL people will be allowed to publish their own altered version of BRP (with a few restrictions, e.g. you won't be allowed to produce your own BRP based on Glorantha, Pendragon or Cthulhu).

Yes, it was interesting that this was brought up.

2 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Well, that sounds almost too good to be true.

Well, perhaps. It won't be published under the WOTC OGL, but under a new OGL. So, that probably means you cannot use other OGL systems with them. So, for example, you couldn't use things from Legend, OpenQuest or Revolution. There are also restrictions on what you can use it for.

34 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Is there a transcript or video of this seminar anywhere? It really sounds too good to be true considering all the work they went to to pull licenses (BRP licenses not Glorantha, that I can completely understand). Also, @MOB is also pretty damn well on it when it comes to his announcements. 

I haven't seen one and am not sure if it was recorded, as I missed the first few minutes.

MOB was at Dragonmeet, so might have been busy with game-related stuff. I know he had a lot of meetings scheduled for today, was at Dragonmeet all of yesterday and was looking at the Troy Exhibit in London on Friday, so perhaps has not had time to update people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve said:

I might be missing the point here, but yesterday at Dragonmeet in London, at the "Runequestions" seminar Chaosium (Jeff, Jason, MOB and Ian) announced that as well as the upcoming OGL and SRD for Questworlds (HeroQuest rules), they will also be releasing an OGL and SRD for BRP. So that sounded like an updated BRP, and not only that, since with the OGL people will be allowed to publish their own altered version of BRP (with a few restrictions, e.g. you won't be allowed to produce your own BRP based on Glorantha, Pendragon or Cthulhu).

Well, well, well!

Here's hoping there was no misunderstanding, no mis-statement, et cetera !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to be explicitly said, but it sure feels like there's a BRP update coming. Is this clear and I'm slow? or is this wishful thinking?

Probably wishful thinking. AFAIK BRP is essentially dead as a stand alone line as far as  Chaosium is concerned, although someone did pick up the rights to redo Magic World. Apparently books focused on a particular setting do better these days that generic rule sets  that can be tailored to a particular setting. Most modern  GMs seem to what the game to do the  heavy lifting for them and provide a setting, and adventures. It why game books now tend  to have a much higher page count w ith lots of flavor text to help establish the setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

Probably wishful thinking. AFAIK BRP is essentially dead as a stand alone line as far as  Chaosium is concerned, although someone did pick up the rights to redo Magic World. Apparently books focused on a particular setting do better these days that generic rule sets  that can be tailored to a particular setting. Most modern  GMs seem to what the game to do the  heavy lifting for them and provide a setting, and adventures. It why game books now tend  to have a much higher page count w ith lots of flavor text to help establish the setting.

This... seems to be changing.  Sort of.  A BRP-revised document is reportedly coming !   It was just announced at Dragonmeet!

Read the post by @Steve a few posts upthread.  Also there's a live-tweet'ed commentary by Nick Brooke, attending the panel,

In the panel discussion, Chaosium seemed to state that they would be producing their own version of an OGLish license, and an SRD, and releasing some form of BRP under that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Is there a transcript or video of this seminar anywhere? It really sounds too good to be true considering all the work they went to to pull licenses (BRP licenses not Glorantha, that I can completely understand). Also, @MOB is also pretty damn well on it when it comes to his announcements. 

SDLeary

Thank you for the massive vote of confidence in my reporting.

Why do you apparently disbelieve what the people who were at the seminar are reporting was said?  You realise that MOB was part of the panel talking about this, right?

The QuestWorlds OGL and SRD hasn't been the subject of a big announcement yet from Chaosium. On that basis, what sort of announcement would you be expecting Chaosium to make?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Steve said:

Thank you for the massive vote of confidence in my reporting.

Why do you apparently disbelieve what the people who were at the seminar are reporting was said?  You realise that MOB was part of the panel talking about this, right?

I think this really meant that SDLeary would have liked to hear the whole seminar, rather than not believing your summary.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g33k said:

This... seems to be changing.  Sort of.  A BRP-revised document is reportedly coming !   It was just announced at Dragonmeet!

That  sounds good to me. There is alot of good stuff from  the old days in BRP and I'd love to see it supported and  updated. 

1 hour ago, g33k said:

In the panel discussion, Chaosium seemed to state that they would be producing their own version of an OGLish license, and an SRD, and releasing some form of BRP under that.

I think that could be an ideal situation. An OGL version would make BRP better know and more easily available, and  allow BRP to pick up new players who are dissatisfied with their current RPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Steve said:

Thank you for the massive vote of confidence in my reporting.

Why do you apparently disbelieve what the people who were at the seminar are reporting was said?  You realise that MOB was part of the panel talking about this, right?

The QuestWorlds OGL and SRD hasn't been the subject of a big announcement yet from Chaosium. On that basis, what sort of announcement would you be expecting Chaosium to make?

For me, the doubt is two-fold ...

First part comes from the venue:  Con events are often earliest-access info, sometimes so early that the projects don't pan out at all (lookin' at you, BRP Noir Game).

Second comes from Chaosium's recently-articulated stance "Just a reminder there is no OGL for BRP, RQ, or CoC" (see the thread of that name (updated by Jeff just 6ish weeks ago! ) )

 

So, I'm really pleased to think Chaosium has reconsidered, and is going back to produce a fresh "BRP" product.

But they haven't made such info available outside the limited-release Con environment, so my optimism is ... tempered.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve said:

...

The QuestWorlds OGL and SRD hasn't been the subject of a big announcement yet from Chaosium. On that basis, what sort of announcement would you be expecting Chaosium to make?

AFAIK, Chaosium doesn't really DO the "big announcement" early-on, these days.

But I can go see various discussions online, in various forum & social-media sites, about HQ and QuestWorlds & an upcoming OGL-ish project; and I can see the same idea being vigorously denied for BRP.  I can see folk at Chaosium discuss their own internally-developed OGL for HQ and the "QuestWorlds" project.  It is obviously, visibly, a Thing that is happening within Chaosium.  Equally obviously, equally visibly, it  Is Was Not Happening for BRP.

Until now.  <does happy dance>

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kross said:

If the DragonMeet panel "announcement" is true, this is amazingly wonderfully great news.

Well, it's now attested by multiple people here on Chaosium's "official" forum.

If it was just one person... I could understand someone optimistically misinterpreting something... hell, if I had been there, it could have been me misinterpreting something !!!

But it's at least 2-3 people... it's in multiple threads... and Chaosium staff is NOT jumping in to say, "no no no, you misinterpreted us!!!"

 

I'll wait a couple of days for Dragonmeet + travel + exhaustion on Chaosium's part, before I rank it above about 80% likely.   😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve said:

Thank you for the massive vote of confidence in my reporting.

Why do you apparently disbelieve what the people who were at the seminar are reporting was said?  You realise that MOB was part of the panel talking about this, right?

The QuestWorlds OGL and SRD hasn't been the subject of a big announcement yet from Chaosium. On that basis, what sort of announcement would you be expecting Chaosium to make?

Sorry! That wasn't the intent. Just so surprising after the way the last few years has gone down!! :)

As far as MOB, my comment was related to the fact that he is pretty on it, quick, etc. to get new information like this out; that is to say someplace like here or the Blog portion of Chaosium's site.

No, but QuestWorlds has been discussed here, by Chaosium staff (and haven't looked for it but I would assume on one of the the Facebook groups too).

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soltakss said:

I think this really meant that SDLeary would have liked to hear the whole seminar, rather than not believing your summary.

 

And this, yes. :)

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...