New version

Tigerwomble

5 hours ago, SDLeary said:

And this, yes. :)

SDLeary

Sorry, I over-reacted. I can understand the disbelief here - I don't follow this BRP discussion specifically, but I scanned this thread and the sticky on BRP and OGL and it does make sense that there would be some scepticism here.

But honestly, Chaosium said it's happening. This was early on in the seminar, it wasn't a throwaway remark, and I can't remember if it was @MOB or @Jeff that said it (I think it was MOB) but it was said very clearly. Not only Questworlds (HQ) for an OGL and SRD but BRP as well. And they went on to give those caveats in that you couldn't publish your own reinvented RQ Glorantha, or Cthulhu, but otherwise you publish your own game with altered versions of the BRP rules. Jason Durall gave an example of something that wasn't protected by IP as a Robin Hood game (he wasn't saying that Chaosium were developing one, to be clear, this was just an example of what someone could publish). Jeff said that this was kind of like a new version of the BRP book.

If I remember correctly then it was either said or implied that the BRP OGL and SRD were behind Questworlds in terms of their progress. So this might be why (my own speculation) nothing has been announced before on this.

Believe it and rejoice, BRP fans.

• Like 1

That is correct. We are releasing a BRP Open Game License and a BRP SRD. The SRD is a core BRP rules document that people are authorized to create derivative works from, including rules expansions, etc. But certain things are going to be off limits - you can't use the BRP rules to create your own game using the Cthulhu Mythos. Or your own version of Pendragon. Etc. 

More news soon.

Here's a live tweet of the panel from Nick Brooke:

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I'll wait a couple of days for Dragonmeet + travel + exhaustion on Chaosium's part, before I rank it above about 80% likely.   😉

What's your ranking now?

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, el_octogono said:

If I were given the task to make a new BGB I would add CoC7 innovations, like success levels, oposed rolls based on opponent's skill, maybe ad/disad rolls. Percentage stats don't work for me as visually they get mixed with skills, and they get really large once you cross the human levels.

I just wanted to post this. This and RQG/KAP Runes/Passions. 

But you need to add the new CoC7 stuff. 

On 10/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, Questbird said:

Yes, everyone has to make up their own shield rules or pull them from somewhere else.

Historically, many cultures used shields in combat. Many devised the technology themselves.

Why would they have done it if shields were useless?

BRP struggles to make this clear.

Which is somewhat ironic considering that shields in RQ are probably the most useful shields ever get in any RPG.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

This is extremely good news! My guess is that this move will enrich and invigorate the “venerable” BRP system as a whole. Just look at what the Mythras Gateway License did for, well, Mythras; it gave us M-Space, which is a very fine example for the quality and creativity that the broad(er) D100 community can bring to fruition.

There’s just one caveat, which should totally be quoted in the actual license text as well“If you believe you’ve come up with a clever mechanic, Greg Stafford already did it.”

😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, foolcat said:

This is extremely good news! My guess is that this move will enrich and invigorate the “venerable” BRP system as a whole. Just look at what the Mythras Gateway License did for, well, Mythras; it gave us M-Space, which is a very fine example for the quality and creativity that the broad(er) D100 community can bring to fruition.

Yeah OGL helped D&D 3.0 regain prominence when AD&D was slipping, and Mthras being Open is exactly why M-SPACE would up being written for that system instead of BRP, as the author originally planned. The obligations for a licence from Chaosium at the time made Mythras more appealing as it was a similar game system without the investment cost.

• Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Well, the "Just a reminder there is no OGL for BRP, RQ, or CoC" topic didn't exactly age well I guess :P

I suppose it's possible that Jeff will come back and revisit the topic in-thread...  Probably a substative new thread for the nuBRP, however:  the first few pages of THAT thread are hardly a good prologue for discussion of the nuBRP initiative!   😁 

Once there actually IS a... y'know... a nuBRP document being released under Chaosium-OGL.

Because until that doc&OGL happen, it remains the case (as per that thread) that "... there is no OGL for BRP..."    😋

IIRC, Jeff said that Chaosium's  OGL(ish)  license for HQ/QW is done...   I don't know if the BRP license will differ, or need reconsideration of any kind.

And, of course, Chaosium still needs to actually create the nuBRP document.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

This is an amazing piece of news that will enrich and unify the entire d100 ecosystem. Hopefully this will use an existing license (either OGL or Creative Commons) rather than create a new one so we can adapt material from other open sources. Is there any indication what the time scale for the release of this license is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Well, the "Just a reminder there is no OGL for BRP, RQ, or CoC" topic didn't exactly age well I guess :P

That topic was absolutely correct. Until we release the BRP OGL there is not OGL for BRP. And RQ and CoC will be specifically prohibited content for that OGL. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, soltakss said:

MOB was at Dragonmeet, so might have been busy with game-related stuff. I know he had a lot of meetings scheduled for today, was at Dragonmeet all of yesterday and was looking at the Troy Exhibit in London on Friday, so perhaps has not had time to update people.

Yes, very busy with the Rivers of London announcement. I haven't said anything further about this myself, as what Jeff posted later in the thread is as much as we are revealing right now:

That is correct. We are releasing a BRP Open Game License and a BRP SRD. The SRD is a core BRP rules document that people are authorized to create derivative works from, including rules expansions, etc. But certain things are going to be off limits - you can't use the BRP rules to create your own game using the Cthulhu Mythos. Or your own version of Pendragon. Etc. 

More news soon.

We'll have a more formal announcement with more details and a link to the actual documentation soon. The BRP OGL/SRD project has been a long time in development, but we are nearly there.

• Like 5

The BRP OGL/SRD project has been a long time in development, but we are nearly there.

Which to me explains the "there is no OGL for BRP, RQ, or CoC" stuff - if this was in the works, that topic would clearly have been more on Chaosium's RADAR, as would a desire to squash / minimise any existing confusion / misapprehensions currently circulating.

I look forward to seeing the details.

Nick

• Like 1

Ah, and the announcement that's just gone out about the Jonstown Compendium is the other shoe dropping.

Looks like the deal is that if you want to put out your own RQ or CoC material, you go via the Jonstown Compendium/Miskatonic Repository (or seek a third party licence if your plans are more ambitious), if it's your own bespoke thingamuffin you can use the SRD. Seems pretty reasonable to me. (Dare I hope for a similar solution for Pendragon - a Troubadour's Gallery, maybe?)

15 minutes ago, Warthur said:

Dare I hope for a similar solution for Pendragon - a Troubadour's Gallery, maybe?

Apparently, it is being planned.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, el_octogono said:

If I were given the task to make a new BGB I would add CoC7 innovations, like success levels, oposed rolls based on opponent's skill, maybe ad/disad rolls. Percentage stats don't work for me as visually they get mixed with skills, and they get really large once you cross the human levels.

But most importantly, I'd give a complete functioning version of BRP as base (I think Magic World level is the ideal), and add all the optional tweaks and rules as add-ons. That way you can give a complete playable game for a newbe, and all the other BRP goodness to explore if they want. I think only hardcore BRP gamers have the patience to use the BGB toolkit as it is now. Also a clear explanation of the advantages, disadvantages and impacts of adding one rule subset or another has on the core rules would be ideal.

I broadly agree. I think it would be sensible to have the percentile stats as an option - a bit like how some retroclones of old-school editions of D&D include concepts like ascending Armour Class as an option - for those that want to use them, but to have the SRD not use them as the default.

I think, as you say, percentile stats are a poor fit for games where superhuman levels of ability are going to be common - but I think they're a somewhat better fit for games where PCs are built on a more mundane scale, and where making Stat x5 rolls would otherwise be common enough that it's simpler just to convert to percentile stats and then divide for the occasional harder-than-average task.

3 hours ago, Warthur said:

I broadly agree. I think it would be sensible to have the percentile stats as an option - a bit like how some retroclones of old-school editions of D&D include concepts like ascending Armour Class as an option - for those that want to use them, but to have the SRD not use them as the default.

Even though its not in the BGB, this is kind-of and option now. There is nothing presenting a group from simply listing the raw stat in the main box on a Cthulhu sheet and the x5 in one of the smaller boxes, or multiplying x5 and putting that on a BRP sheet (though that already exists in the stat rolls). Does present a slight amount of work on the part of the GM though when preparing encounters. This is something I advocate when Cthulhu comes up as the % characteristics just look odd... especially once you get up into large and strong, or powerful creatures. 

SDLeary

3 hours ago, Warthur said:

I broadly agree. I think it would be sensible to have the percentile stats as an option ...

The whole BGB was all about different options for BRP play, after all.

Nobody every uses all of the BGB in one game... some of the options are incompatible!

But clearly there's enough love (and hate) for the CoC7 innovations that many of those should become options in a nuBRP product.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thank you @MOB and @Jeff!

One quick query, if you don't mind; and one comment/suggestion:

Q:  Is this version going to be a big & comprehensive version (BGB-scale / hundreds of pages), or more of a small "Essentials" version (32-96(ish) pages.. not that an online doc has to follow traditional print-publishing "signatures," of course!) , or somewhere in between?

Comment:  One option that might work well is to release "oglBRP" as a succession of versions; an initial "Essentials" version, oglBRP-1.0; then an expanded version, oglBRP-2.0; then a comprehensive version, oglBRP-3.0 (or 1.0/1.1/1.2; allowing for a total-revision oglBRP-2; or whatever).  Add steps/versions as needed, as Chaosium resources are available.

(OTOH, above I see MOB telling us that it has been "a long time in development," so maybe the choice to do something like I suggest is long-past, and either has or has not been pursued.)

In any case:  TYVM once again !!!

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, Warthur said:

Ah, and the announcement that's just gone out about the Jonstown Compendium is the other shoe dropping.

Looks like the deal is that if you want to put out your own RQ or CoC material, you go via the Jonstown Compendium/Miskatonic Repository (or seek a third party licence if your plans are more ambitious), if it's your own bespoke thingamuffin you can use the SRD. Seems pretty reasonable to me. (Dare I hope for a similar solution for Pendragon - a Troubadour's Gallery, maybe?)

Which announcement "just" went out?  I mean... I know about the J.C. content via DTRPG, Chaosium's art & templates &c; and the yummy new products available there... But is there something else, something specifically BRP / non-Gloranthan?

I'm wondering if a non-Gloranthan / general-BRP version of the MR/JC/etc might be coming...

So if someone wanted (for example) to do a BRP product -- up to and including a full RPG -- they could use this channel in lieu of either doing a proposal/publication cycle through Chaosium, or a license of theirs?  Seems like a natural replacement-for / evolution-of the old "Monographs" line.

C'es ne pas un .sig