BRP Creatures and BRP Gamemaster

400_years

Downloaded Creatures & magic PDF's:

My thoughts...

First: even in the latest and greatest PDF reader, it stinks.

If not for the efact that i know 'Ogres' from earlier books, I'd have been confused. the missing "1"s give it a strength score of 2d6+2

Im rather certain it was suppossed to be 2d6+12

*please* Fix this and re-offer corrected...

Instead of simply republishing things, they could have done some actual updating. Remove the creatures that are already in BRP and maybe add some new ones;assorted demon types, new elementals and other creatures would have been welcome.

As for the Magic, Why not integrate and add to the excellent magic system they have. The Ritual system makes for an excellent add on to their "BRP Magic" and "BRP Sorcery". The spirit magic spells as new Sorcery spells would work quite well. Adding Divine as an add on or as the higher range 'BRP Sorcery" seem quite doable (and what I intend to do! since I use the "BRP Sorcery" as my base Divine magic system). The rules for the "Sorcery" presented in the new supplement should have been tweaked to work as an add on to the "BRP Magic system" in the BRP base book (IMHO).

I spent about $18 on these two supplements. In Honesty, between the poor editing, poor formatting and lack of anything that will NOT require extra effort on my part to convert to a more usable form, I consider myself lucky to have gotten bye with such a relatively light cost. If I had spent more, I;d have been greatly upset.

I will say that on these items,

Let the Buyer Beware,

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

Only have magic, but on Foxit pdf, its no problem with the file at all.

Curious if you notice that all the t's are missing in the stat blocks for Deities in the Divine Magic chapter?

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Curious if you notice that all the t's are missing in the stat blocks for Deities in the Divine Magic chapter?

A few, but mostly all is in order (maybe 5-6 places in deities that is missing it), so the problem is not the reader (as mentioned, foxit is a super fast reader, adobe, very slow but no problem there either), but the person who did not check that when he converted the text file into pdf, that it was converted right, its a normal thing to happen if you are not used to do that.

Tea and Madness

Are we allowed to PM this chappy the Charnjibber stats or will litigious Gloranthan Chaos Spirits of Reprisal descend and feast upon our benighted souls?

Would be good if those who bought these products and found the flaws also contacted chaosium about it so they can fix it.

Other than that, I must agree that these last monographs from Chaosium has been a disappointment. Get RQ3 on eBay instead. The editing is better and it includes some art.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The Magic Book looks good (that, along with GM's and Creatures seems to have doubled in file size). I'm sure my concerns with the other two books are fixed as well.

My only problem now (not a complaint), is that these files render a little slow in document viewer on my sad ubuntu laptop. --- If anyone else is having this issue, I suggest installing pdftk (a handy command line pdf editor), to remove the first and last 2 pages of the document.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm, I purchased BRP Creatures two days ago and have noticed no errors, so it looks like Chaosium did get this fixed.

Unfortunately, I parted with my RQ3 book a few years ago on Ebay in a mad fit of seller's mania (but got a nice sum for it, admittedly) so BRP Creatures is useful for my planned BRP Fantasy game coming up....although it still includes data with regards to character generation that applies to RQ3 and not the current BRP mechanics. Other than that, it works fine to expand the range of creatures for a BRP fantasy game.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of that list of critters I see forty out of Seventy One as useful in my modern and interwar period games. Granted it would have been nice if they did toss in some sci-fi love from the Maleus Monsterium. Particularly the Thing and the Martian Invaders from World of the Wars.

As far as I can tell, they've simply repackaged the master files they used for the black and white tape bound print only BRP monographs back in 2004 in up to date BRP style monograph livery.

I'm delighted they are available again, although I think it would have been better to get them adjusted to spell out the options in core BRP required to use them fully (as with Basic Magic) and billing them as "Basic Fantasy Creatures", "Basic Fantasy Gamesmasters" etc would have flagged that they are more genre specific than the core book.

But these are minor quibbles - it is very heartening to see that the BRP items page at Chaosium's catalogue now stretches over more than one page,and that's with major works such as Pete Nash's Rome not yet released from Alphetar.

Cheers,

Nick

PS: The full list of creatures in the previous BRP Creatures Book print monograph was: Allosaurus, Ant (Giant), Baboon, Bandersnatch, Basilisk, Bear (Brown), Bear (Polar), Beetle (Giant), Behemoth, Brontosaur, Broo, Cattle, Centaur, Chimpanzee, Chonchon, Crocoddilians (Small and large), Deer, Dog, Dragon, Ducks, Dwarfs, Elelmentals (Gnomes, salamanders, shades, sylphs, undines), elephants, Elves, Fachan, Ghosts, Ghouls, Giant, Gorgon, Gorilla, Grampus, griffin, Hafling, Harpy, Hawk, Headhanger, Hellion, Horse, Human, Insect Swarm, Jabberwork, Lamia, Lion, Lizard, Manticore, Minotaur, Mummy, Nymph (Dryad, Hag, Naiad, Oread), Octopus, Ogre, Orc, Panther, Plesiosaur, Python, Satyr, Sea Serpent, Shark, (medium and large, but alas, no lasers...), Skeleton, Spirit (Disease, Healing, Intellect, Magic, Passion, Power, Spell), Stoorworm, Tiger, Toad (Cliff), Troll (Cave and, er, non-cave...), Unicorn, Vampire, Werewolf, Whale (Sperm, Killer and Dolphin), Wolf, Wraith, Wyrm, Wyvern, Zombie.

I have both the Creatures book and Gateway, hmmm, anyone going to do more for creatures?

Sword & Spell is to have about 60 new creatures, but if your looking for Scifi stuff I can't help yah there.

I would love to see some scifi stuff though.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have the statistics for the beasties in the BRP Creatures book been converted from RQ3 to BRP?

i.e Changes to Move, MP to PP, skill names, magic etc?

No, don't believe so from a quick check of the PDF copy I have - looks like it's the straight RQIII text (as the previous print mongraph edition was as well).

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton