Jump to content
Sir_Godspeed

Sentient weaponry

Recommended Posts

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

Shamans' paraphernalia sort of doesn't count. I mean, it does, but I'm already aware that shamans commonly bind spirits in various items they carry - if I've understood that correctly.

Bonus points for that trope where the weapon is so strong-willed it starts leading the wielder, and not the other way around. I've always had a soft spot for that one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

Every humakt with an allied spirit talks to the weapon and it answers. Many wind lords also, and other martial cults cultivate similar relationships with spears, scimitars and so on. Greg would have wanted at least one that could sing.

I suddenly find myself not knowing what happens to a spirit-inhabited weapon when the human consort dies or leaves the cult . . . you can get heirlooms in this way if the spirit remains behind, but if the bond breaks, the animating intelligence returns home. I'm leaning toward saying there are storied weapons and weapon spirits and sometimes the spirits have a preference for certain durable residences.

Whether an allied spirit or the wielder is the boss depends on the entities involved and the situation. Every marriage is different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of at least Balastor's Axe and Nosebiter, which possess the people that find them, or at least did in our campaigns. Lol. Nosebiter turned several NPCs and PCs into Nosebiter's Feet!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one that immediately springs to my mind is the Windsword in Griffin Mountain, it has a spirit of Law bound to it that desires the wielder to fight Chaos. You have to overcome the spirit to use the sword, but isn't bound to the wielders will. If the wielder flinches at the chance to fight Chaos then the sword casts Face Chaos on them to try and make them fight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironbreaker, Hahlgrim's sword, needed to be praised before it would reveal its secrets, making it a rae case of a phallic object with phallic insecurity.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

They've certainly appeared in the hands of PC's in my campaigns over the years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 2:45 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

Yes.

Balastor's Axe is one such weapon.

Nosebiter is another weapon, wielded by Trollkin who are named Nosebiter's Feet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 3:38 AM, HreshtIronBorne said:

I know of at least Balastor's Axe and Nosebiter, which possess the people that find them, or at least did in our campaigns. Lol. Nosebiter turned several NPCs and PCs into Nosebiter's Feet!

Damn, damn, damn! 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It strikes me that the Passion rules might make a decent first pass at "forcing" a PC to do the will of an NPC sword...

Pick up the Windsword, gain "Passion:  Always Fight Chaos" at 65%  (or +20% if you already HAVE that Passion).

I pick 65% as midway between the 80% "forcing" level, and the 50% "actually the opposite, fails more than works" level.  Does the sword drive you up over 80% into nigh-Uroxi turf?  Can you draw it down to under 50% where you're mostly in control?

I (strongly) suspect an artifact such as the Windsword will have an array of ancillary Augments available to enhance that Passion at critical moments...     🗡️

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g33k said:

I (strongly) suspect an artifact such as the Windsword will have an array of ancillary Augments available to enhance that Passion at critical moments...     

Usable only one at a time, of course.

!i!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g33k said:

It strikes me that the Passion rules might make a decent first pass at "forcing" a PC to do the will of an NPC sword...

Pick up the Windsword, gain "Passion:  Always Fight Chaos" at 65%  (or +20% if you already HAVE that Passion).

I pick 65% as midway between the 80% "forcing" level, and the 50% "actually the opposite, fails more than works" level.  Does the sword drive you up over 80% into nigh-Uroxi turf?  Can you draw it down to under 50% where you're mostly in control?

I (strongly) suspect an artifact such as the Windsword will have an array of ancillary Augments available to enhance that Passion at critical moments...     🗡️

 

Ah, the more you use it to enhance your powers, the more it gains control over you. A very solid story trope!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a vampiric sword like Stormbringer? There seems to be some ambiguity about whether undeath is chaotic, for example Zorak Zoran cultists seem to be able to create skeletons and have at least some powers over undeath, without triggering Storm Bull sense chaos. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...