Jump to content
Puckohue

Shaman NPC

Recommended Posts

There was an issue of Heroes that had a fully worked-up RQ3 shaman. I remember thinking that really wasn't what I expected. Of course, RQ3 shamans had all sorts of rules-derived spirits like INT and POW spirits that aren't reflected in the current rules (thank goodness). It'd be really helpful to see a powerful RQG shaman (and sorcerer, for that matter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also that issue of Signs & Portents that had the MRQ2 write-ups for Blueface and Muriah that they weren't supposed to use...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see some examples of higher level NPCs than the materials we've been given have shown off. They are primarily introductory material and are therefore written for the pre-gen PCs and other freshly generated PCs to succeed. I would love to see RQ:G stats for successful Clan and Temple Leadership, as well as Clan/Tribe/Regional Shaman and, like Ultor said, a sorcerer would be really cool too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I would love to see some examples of higher level NPCs than the materials we've been given have shown off. They are primarily introductory material and are therefore written for the pre-gen PCs and other freshly generated PCs to succeed. I would love to see RQ:G stats for successful Clan and Temple Leadership, as well as Clan/Tribe/Regional Shaman and, like Ultor said, a sorcerer would be really cool too. 

So, you are seeking an update to William R. Keyes classic  Runemasters for RQ 2 with the great Louise Perrine illustrations, n'est-ce pas?

Me too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ultor said:

There was also that issue of Signs & Portents that had the MRQ2 write-ups for Blueface and Muriah that they weren't supposed to use...

Do you know what issue that was? I can't find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ultor said:

There was an issue of Heroes that had a fully worked-up RQ3 shaman. I remember thinking that really wasn't what I expected. Of course, RQ3 shamans had all sorts of rules-derived spirits like INT and POW spirits that aren't reflected in the current rules (thank goodness). It'd be really helpful to see a powerful RQG shaman (and sorcerer, for that matter).

Leona the Basmoli is a great writeup (Heroes Volume 2, #4 - The final and infamous Avenger Ant issue). It's certainly an example of a shaman done properly and easily usable with minor changes, I might have a stab at a proper conversion. 

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/-1702474538/10-Avenger-Ant-Tips-for-Shamans-Abstract-Elementals

@Wayne's Books do you have this?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Do you know what issue that was? I can't find it.

Signs & Portents #90. Article on the World of Spirits (p.18)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Signs & Portents #90. Article on the World of Spirits (p.18)

I only have up to number 89!

Okay - got the missing ones from the wayback machine

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Leona the Basmoli is a great writeup (Heroes Volume 2, #4 - The final and infamous Avenger Ant issue). It's certainly an example of a shaman done properly and easily usable with minor changes, I might have a stab at a proper conversion. 

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/-1702474538/10-Avenger-Ant-Tips-for-Shamans-Abstract-Elementals

@Wayne's Books do you have this?

Hello.

Yep!

https://www.waynesbooks.net/product/406876

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David Scott said:

Do you know what issue that was? I can't find it.

SP 90. I have a copy - they may have had to pull it.

ETA: Sorry, just saw the question was already answered.

Edited by Ultor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, David Scott said:

Leona the Basmoli

Guess what - just like Carthalo in the Quickstart she's "considered insane". There's this great line at the end of the article: "Leona lives half of her existence on the spirit plane, like all good shamans. This means she often acts in ways that seem insane."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:44 PM, Puckohue said:

Guess what - just like Carthalo in the Quickstart she's "considered insane". There's this great line at the end of the article: "Leona lives half of her existence on the spirit plane, like all good shamans. This means she often acts in ways that seem insane."

The insane description of the way shamans behave is relative to their behaviour and the cultural upbringing of the viewer. For example if a person is seen to be talking to imaginary beings and acting in consort with them all of the time and the viewer doesn't believe in them then of course the shaman is mad. If the viewer is a Gloranthan, it's likely that that they have some understanding of the spirit world and so the shaman is not insane, just acting in their normal way, but still considered a bit strange as you can see only one side of the activity or conversation (just listen to people's mobile phone converstaions on public transport for an idea). The view of shamans being insane in RPGs is very much a western viewpoint and part of the understanding that shamanism (and other belief systems) are not real and so adhering to their beliefs is madness. The soviets used this (and many other means) when suppressing shamanism. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...