New to Cthulhu and WW2 Too!

Ahchoolhu

Hello everybody!  My first post!

Actually I know the second world war pretty well but the title tickled my ridiculous alliteration bug and I had to write it.  I am starting a WW2 Cthulhu mini-campaign (9-12 sessions) and just picked up my 7th edition Cthulhu book.  The only books I have are the two main and the pulp book currently.  I have 3 players who are old gamers but aren't familiar with the rules.  We are looking for some pulpy WW2 action...  ala Dirty Dozen or Kelly's Heroes.  I don't know if it is cool to discuss other companies products, but if anyone could recommend some WW2 adventures or supplements I would thank you!

Thank You!...  Ahchoolhu

I think rather than adventures you might want to look at rule sets. Specially Pulp Cuthlhu. Standard CoC doesn't really play all that "pulpy" and investigators will tend to go down quickly in a firefight. Pulp Cthulhu, however has a bunch of modifications that improve the suitability of the  investigators (and major bad guys) to better reflect  the pulps.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm fairly new here too. ;) I saw you mention you were looking for this "... some pulpy WW2 action..."  If you're wanting to inject in a bit more  WW 2 flavor into you campaign, I'd recommend taking a look at Modiphius' Achtung! Cthulhu. It adds a lot of nice tools for both investigators and keepers and there's some decent adventures available for it;  some even free. They released an Achtung! Cthulhu Investigator's guide and Keeper's guide for 7th edition this year, but you can probably make do with just the IG. The series is multi-system and also available for FATE Core and Savage Worlds, so if you do decide to get any of it make sure you choose the CoC versions. As well, don't bother with the freebie Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish material, as it's based on a tabletop rule set from Spartan Games (now out of business) and is more for players wanting that type of experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response Kronovan!

This is pretty much what I am looking for I think.  Does anyone know if there any adventures that are particularly bad or good?  There are a lot to choose from.  My players are totally up on their Lovecraft lore btw.  I have been looking at the intro game parachuting into Czechoslovakia and I may want to do something different to spice it up. 

I have been thinking I might do Island of Madness from the Miskatonic Archives as the introductory.  Only instead of a shipwreck make the fish guys disguised as people hijack a Zepplin crossing the Atlantic and wreck it on the island.  That way the characters can be in the OSS mistaking the fish guys as Nazi spys when they board the Zepplin.  Plus I really just have to run a game on a Zepplin.

A bit more overt with magic (and probably hard to find now) would be Pinnacle's Weird War II, which was a series of D20 sourcebooks detailing an occult World War 2. The main book is Blood on the Rhine, with Africa covered in Afrika Korpse, aerial monsters in Dead From Above, the Normandy invasion in Hell in the Hedgerows, the Eastern Front in Hell Freezes Over, and the Pacific Theater in Land of the Rising Dead. All of its magic is based on runes instead of old musty tomes, but that can either be ignored or integrated into a CoC campaign.

There's also a Savage Worlds version, and I'm not sure how much of the D20 series it repeats or what's new in it.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ahchoolhu said:

As you can see, you can discuss anyone's products that might be of interest -- this isn't a company-owned site.

I second the recommendation of Achtung Cthulhu, which has some gonzo stuff. WW Cthulhu seems a bit drier.

I haven't seen Weird War 2, but it really sounds right up my alley! I'll have to try and remember to check it out.

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Baron said:

As you can see, you can discuss anyone's products that might be of interest -- this isn't a company-owned site

However the forum header does say 

Call of Cthulhu

Call of Cthulhu forum for the Horror Universe created by H.P Lovecraft, Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game

That aside, have a look at https://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/CoC:Scenarios and search for World War II in the page

You'll find all the WW2 you need including Chaosium's Ancient Nazi Midget Shamans scenario in Blood Brothers.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Achtung Cthulhu is much more pulp focused. The Nazis know about the mythos and several competing factions are trying to make use of it to win the war or garner influence. World War Cthulhu from Cubicle 7 is purist in focus. The Nazis are looking for occult power but will be in over their heads just like everyone else who encounters the mythos. Typically the players will receive 2 missions. One a standard SOE operation and the second, a secret mythos related mission. The 2 might be related but typically are not. There is a shadow org within British intelligence which redirects assets to fight the mythos. It's much more wilderness of mirrors than the in your face pulp action from Modiphius.

M

• Like 1