Runequest 3, house rules, Borderlands and questions

7 hours ago, lordabdul said:

That's... a.... really selfish take on reading RPG books in my opinion

How is thinking that a rule will cause problems is "selfish"?!

Let's play a mind-game.  Let's suppose you're reading a manual on electrical repair of small appliances, and you come across a section that says:

"First, fill your bath-tub with water.  Now get in the bath-tub.  Now plug in the device you want to repair into an active electrical outlet.  Now start stripping the wires."

Do you think it would be "selfish" if you think to yourself "you know, I don't think I like these instructions, they may lead to a situation that I will find undesirable"?

When you read rules, you evaluate them within the context of what else you know about the game, and make a decision about whether those rules are compatible, incompatible, easy, difficult, or whatever.  That's just ... normal.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having run RQ3 for 10 years, I think I'm qualified to say that Rune Magic worked ok, but it did not work great. Players rarely ended up with many of the fun spells - they had to get Spirit Block and S

Please by Lhankor Mhy the ever-organized, please let there be at least some effort at version control and identification.  SOMETHING that says "this is version 6.  It was updated Oct 10, 2019" so as t

Yes, absolutely.   To put it bluntly, what I've found is that whenever there's substantial downtime my players want to train more obsessively than some steroid-crazed 'builders on instagram.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BWP said:

How is thinking that a rule will cause problems is "selfish"?!

Thinking that a rule causes problems is not selfish. Thinking that the logical conclusion is "the rulebook is wrong, the authors are stupid/didn't think this through", however, is, in my opinion.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 3