COC monographs

HANZO

Are there any COC monographs that would be especially useful for a some one who plays BRP but not really into COC.

I noticed the Gaslight Equipment Catalogue. I love Victorian settings so this looks good.

Any one thing the COC dark ages book would be good for historical non-COC games or other settings?

Any others any BRP players find any others useful?

I'm not currently playing COC either, but I bought Secrets of Morocco and I found it pretty useful. You could certainly use it to set a non-COC game in Morocco (would make and interesting spy setting) and I've lifted some things for use in my current fantasy game. I'm also considering getting the other more exotic Secrets books - Kenya, Sudan, etc. - for myself, too.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

The Kenya book is good, lots of background material for a non CoC game, a largish African bestiary ( Giraffes, Cheetahs, Wildebeeste etc etc ). What else ? Eerrmm...First Book of Things has lots of nasty monsters that could be used in a non CoC setting. Cthulhu Invictus has already been mentioned ( there's a scnario book for that one as well, can't remember the name at present )

I'm kinda interested in Pulp Cthulhu, or Cthulhu Pulp, or whatever it's called. I love the pulps and I'm curious about just what it is going to entail.

Yeah, 'Pulp' can mean a LOT of different things depending on who you ask...

Isn't Berlin '61 a COC monograph?

I haven't read it yet but it seems like it would be a decent sourcebook for setting up a cold war espionage game.

Minor observation: neither Secrets of Kenya, nor Pulp Cthulhu are monographs - both are full distribution books.

I like both the Pastores and the Abbey monographs for CDA, but have yet to be able to use either in anger in a real game. Of the two I think The Abbey has perhaps wider application outside CDA. Can't yet comment on the Ravenar Saga as I've yet to get a copy.

I cannot recommend Cthulhu Rising highly enough - it's a fabulous setting in to which John has poured a huge amount of creativity and if you are interested in SF BRP it's well worth reading.

Of the BRP setting monographs to date, I like all three (Ashes to Ashes, Berlin '61 and Aces High) - given my own preferences, and those of my player group, I think Aces High tops my list, as I'm not in a dark fantasy frame of mind these days and much as I'd like to do a Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with supernatural / occult elements, I suspect my players wont...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

Yeah, 'Pulp' can mean a LOT of different things depending on who you ask...

Isn't Berlin '61 a COC monograph?

I haven't read it yet but it seems like it would be a decent sourcebook for setting up a cold war espionage game.

When I first came up with Berlin '61 it was as an adventure for CoC set during the cold war. In order to confuse my players into not thinking we were playing CoC, I concocted B61 as an entire setting for spy games from Chaosium (even did a mock up cover and everything). I told them it was a little known Chaosium game from the 80s.

Well from there it became its own thing.

Overall, it was for CoC, or when initially released as a CoC rip off for GORE (from Goblinoid Games). But in the most recent version as a Chaosium Monograph it was revised a bit to include rules and notes and ideas as just a setting for spies or supers or supernatural.

When I get a chance to revise the three adventures sitting on my desk, I will send that up Chaosium as a proposed monograph and then maybe rework my idea for a Berlin '61 Companion, slowly moving it away from straight horror/lovecraftian spies to a more open setting.

I'd second Cthulhu Rising and its follow up monograph Jovian Nightmares.

CR itself is a really good sci-fi setting in the mode of Bladerunner/Aliens. Its got enough depth to be a good work of escapism, but its got enough familiar references to make it accessible to players.

Jovian Nightmares, which details Jupiter and its moons, was designed as so it could be used BRP setting with all the mythos elements in a separate chapter at the end. Sure the adventure has a mythos monster in it but it could easily be made a non-mythos monster.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain