The Color Out of Nick Cage

el_octogono

Awesome movie, I really liked it!

It was closer to the original Lovecraft story than I expected. And it has Alpacas, which obviously are a great addition to any movie!

If you´re expecting a super serious movie, you´ll be disappointed. But if you´re in for a great modern B-movie-style Lovecraft movie, go see this!

40 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Okayyyy,

well, the inclusion of one of Vancouver’s best comic gifts to the universe (Tommy Chong) as a crazed shaman (I think) has me intrigued.

But that raises the question, was it really an alien entity or the effects of the nation's new favorite "medical" substance?  Because you know those alpacas are totally toking it up behind the barn regardless of what the humans are doing over by the well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

But that raises the question, was it really an alien entity or the effects of the nation's new favorite "medical" substance?  Because you know those alpacas are totally toking it up behind the barn regardless of what the humans are doing over by the well.

Weed does a lot of things but it definitely doesn't make you do that.

Not even in Florida. (yes I own this role-playing game and yes it's FLORIDA MAN THE RPG)

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:
1 hour ago, seneschal said:

alpaca 1 Wow man the colours, the colours...

alpaca 2 Cool d()()d, moving to Vancouver like was the best man!

alpaca 1 Far out!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 2 weeks later...

Cage is hit and miss. While he's brilliant at chewing scenery, and has his moments of good (ConAir and Face/Off), he can go waaaay off the rails.

"The BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!"

However, I suggest it's up to the abilities of the director and/or the producers to drop him some Valium now and again. Otherwise, the scene with Hero the horse, tied up at the well mayn't go down too good. 

23 hours ago, Stormkhan Cogg of Pavis said:

However, I suggest it's up to the abilities of the director and/or the producers to drop him some Valium now and again. Otherwise, the scene with Hero the horse, tied up at the well mayn't go down too good. 

Sorry but I think that valium administration might be either the handler or the PAs job, although in the correct union unsure of film so... 

edited to add, on second thought in Cage’s case that might require a stunt doctor.

<grin>

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

lawd my dad played that record for me (yes, record!) when I was a TINY BABY, like i'm talking like 1983 I'm 8 and he whips out this album from 1971 and says YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS NOW

I believe that was an album called big bamboo, and if so, it came with the largest rolling paper I have ever seen, Do you  know if your dad still has this?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

• 4 months later...

Have you ever seen Nick Case “act"? If you answer yes, odds are very good that you have then see Nick Cage’s “acting” in this unfortunate movie. I have not seem this movie, but unfortunately, I have seen Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew “acting”.

24 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Have you ever seen Nick Case “act"? If you answer yes, odds are very good that you have then see Nick Cage’s “acting” in this unfortunate movie. I have not seem this movie, but unfortunately, I have seen Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew “acting”.

I have seen his so called acting, and as an actor I must agree he's a trifle, well you know:)

But I was just hoping against hope that a mainstream Lovecraft movie did the genre justice.

-Voice of the Legion

I saw this one several weeks back and came away pleasantly surprised! Nicolas Cage is really in a support role in this one, with the family's kids taking center stage. Not a perfect film, but they did a great job of focusing on The Weird rather than giving it a monster-of-the-week vibe.

I saw it a few days ago...

I'm not particularly found of Nicolas Cage, but I still enjoy some of his "old" movies: Peggy Sue Got Married, Red Rock West, Kiss of Death, Face Off... as much as I dislike more recent stuffs (Ghost Rider, Wicker Man...). But when I saw there was this adaptation, I said "why not?"

Well, I was highly disappointed... I mean, I don't care a movie being close or not to the original text (many times, I prefer to watch a director's own vision than just a word for word illustration). But there, I wasn't convinced by anything. And especially, it all misses the atmosphere - the one thing you cannot miss when adapting Lovecraft!!!

Since he's the object of many posts here, the best thing I can say about Nicolas Cage is his acting couldn't anyway save the movie.