Pavis!

Glorion

On 1/12/2020 at 12:23 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Well, Robin wasn't clear on the exact location (I think he was saying it was up to each GM).

"Buried under lots of rock and soil"...' except, a simple fire releases it... Burn some branches, evil incarnate comes back into the world. 

Now, if it was under a buried temple with a pile of solid rock to mask it... ..... 

In our last Glorantha Campaign, the River Voices investigated the Gorp Spring on the Zola Fel. They worked out that the Gorps were coming from deep underground and wanted to find out where. One of the PCs had a magical eye that could see through things, so she used that, with some other magic, and scored a critical roll, so she saw the Eye of Wakboth glaring at her and weeping, the tears becoming Gorp and rising through the cracks in the ground. She managed to roll a stupidly low POW roll and didn't go insane, receiving a Heroic Power of See Into the Void as a reward. They didn't like the idea of Gorp squeezing through gaps in the rocks and stones, as they reasoned that the Gorp as Gorp are acidic and would make the gaps wider and wider until the Eye of Wakboth could be revealed to the world, something they weren't too keen on. So, they decided to travel down to it. They had a Lead Barge that could magically travel through even the tiniest places, as long as it was floating on water, so they used their River Voices powers to raise a flood and send it through the cracks. There followed a terrifying descent through the cracks in the earth to Wakboth's Pool, where the Eye floated in a pool of its own tears. I can't remember how they defeated Wakboth's Eye, but they managed to blind it and return to the surface. Of course, this was a HeroQuest.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

In our last Glorantha Campaign, the River Voices investigated the Gorp Spring on the Zola Fel. They worked out that the Gorps were coming from deep underground and wanted to find out where. One of the PCs had a magical eye that could see through things, so she used that, with some other magic, and scored a critical roll, so she saw the Eye of Wakboth glaring at her and weeping, the tears becoming Gorp and rising through the cracks in the ground. She managed to roll a stupidly low POW roll and didn't go insane, receiving a Heroic Power of See Into the Void as a reward. They didn't like the idea of Gorp squeezing through gaps in the rocks and stones, as they reasoned that the Gorp as Gorp are acidic and would make the gaps wider and wider until the Eye of Wakboth could be revealed to the world, something they weren't too keen on. So, they decided to travel down to it. They had a Lead Barge that could magically travel through even the tiniest places, as long as it was floating on water, so they used their River Voices powers to raise a flood and send it through the cracks. There followed a terrifying descent through the cracks in the earth to Wakboth's Pool, where the Eye floated in a pool of its own tears. I can't remember how they defeated Wakboth's Eye, but they managed to blind it and return to the surface. Of course, this was a HeroQuest.

This is great and I wish you could remember more details about it.   :-0

When I ran the Troubled Waters campaign to my players (warning, spoilers ahead), at first they didn't realise the Chaotic priest was underwater in the grotto, so they kept going down the corridor to the depths where the Eye of Wakboth lies. I couldn't think what to do to avoid them suddenly coming across the Eye unprepared and gaining , say, 1D100 Chaotic gifts, half of them from that table of Thed's cult description, so I just narrated how they got more painful headaches as they dived on, and the water started to hurt them all around. Luckily, they retreated. I wish I had had somehting better prepared beforehand.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

@Jeff   do we have a take on which notables didn't make it through the liberation, either in one piece or in there former position?

I have put a line through

• all lunars, 
  • Hallarax the Singer, 
  • Haloric Glowbrow, 
  • Jorjar the Quick, 
  • Malavar Patroma, 
  • Faltikus the Good, 
  • Benderri ( natural causes ), 

Another notable demises your willing to divulge?

Tala Errio - I've got down as a mysterious disappearance.

1 hour ago, Jon Hunter said:

@Jeff   do we have a take on which notables didn't make it through the liberation, either in one piece or in there former position?

• Haloric Glowbrow, 

Died before then:

As a reward for his actions in the Devil’s Playground, Count Invictus made Haloric Glowbrow the new Light Captain of Sun County. Unfortunately, within weeks of his arrival at the Sun Dome, both he and his splendid band of men all began to visibly age and shrink. By the start of the Sacred Time ceremonies these formerly radiant champions were all so bowed over and frail that they had to use their spears for support, hobbling to take up their posts like old, old men.

Fearing some sort of chaos affliction, the high priest Gaumata sought guidance from Yelmalio. The answer from the heavens was blunt: "Death fosters Life, Life ends in Death. Each is half of the same power". From Rohir Oaklimb, Gaumata learned that by joining the elven heroquest to retrieve the great seed, Haloric and his Templars had unwittingly become part of the Aldryami cycle of Life and Death. By the end of winter (1623), most of the Sunspear Guards (including Haloric Glowbrow) withered and died – at the end, their bodies were like dry old twigs. But those that were married all left wives who were expecting, and the few who did survive gradually recovered when the seasons turned. Indeed, at harvest time the next year they were back in tremendous blooming health, only to have the cycle repeat each winter.

excerpt from 'The Great Winter and Time of Two Counts'

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MOB said:

Fearing some sort of chaos affliction, the high priest Gaumata sought guidance from Yelmalio. The answer from the heavens was blunt: "Death fosters Life, Life ends in Death. Each is half of the same power". From Rohir Oaklimb, Gaumata learned that by joining the elven heroquest to retrieve the great seed, Haloric and his Templars had unwittingly become part of the Aldryami cycle of Life and Death. By the end of winter (1623), most of the Sunspear Guards (including Haloric Glowbrow) withered and died – at the end, their bodies were like dry old twigs. But those that were married all left wives who were expecting, and the few who did survive gradually recovered when the seasons turned. Indeed, at harvest time the next year they were back in tremendous blooming health, only to have the cycle repeat each winter.

Ok thats useful for me I ways I never expected.

So an garden elf in suntown is not going to popular by 1625?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, Jon Hunter said:

So an garden elf in suntown is not going to popular by 1625?

I think the Sun Towners would have just taken Haloric and his mens' demise with stoic equanimity after the answer to Gaumata's divination is known. They are thankful the Miracle of the Garden saved them from outright starvation at the end of the Great Winter, and honour Haloric's part in that.

BTW, in the Argrath era the de facto head of the family in Pavis is the Ernalda Priestess Rana Goldenhair, only child of Haloric Glowbrow. She sits on the Pavis Council as the Suntown representative.

From 'The Great Winter and Time of Two Counts':

Rana was first married to the Light Son Rurik Runespear who, as a convert of modest origins, found a welcome into the Eiskolli family after becoming celebrated and wealthy from many successful forays into the Pavis Rubble. Sadly, Rurik disappeared shortly after the wedding, at the time of the Cradle episode.

Under the influence of the high priestess Daralanda, Rana’s fervent desire as a young widow was to immerse herself in the affairs of the Ernalda cult. At the end of the Great Winter Rana was shocked to learn that her father, having had Rurik declared dead, was arranging a second marriage for her. Her new husband was the prominent rune lord Xendar*, who was to succeed Haloric as Light Captain in Pavis. To Rana’s dismay, straight after the ceremony Xendar forbade her from “prancing all over the city after Daralanda”, and from then on she was to remain sequestered at home like all decent and demure Yelmalian wives should.

Fortunately for Rana, when Rurik later returned with Argrath, he furiously enacted the Three Blows of Anger to reclaim his lost bride, killing Xendar. Rurik promptly gave his wholehearted assent to Rana, fulfilling her ambitions, and continues to safeguard the interests of his wife and the kinfolk he married into.

In Sun County itself Rana’s cousin Varthanicus claims to be head of the Eiskolli family. He is fanatically devoted to Countess Vega, and serves as the captain of her Golden Guard and leader of the inquisition.

*yeah, another character from RQ2's Rune Masters.

• Like 4