Sign in to follow this  
RichardA

Book of Feasts Question

On p.8 of The Book of Feasts, it states: "There are five activities to choose from: Draw Cards (unless disallowed — see below), Gossip, Indulge, Flirt, or Game."

Later on that same page, it states: "Thus, characters seated Above the Salt cannot draw Feast Cards, but must choose from among Gossip, Indulge, and Flirt, whose results are more staid and predictable."

Does that mean if you are seated Above the Salt, you also cannot choose the Game activity? Or was the omission of Game an error?

The same page also states, "If the Feast Deck runs out of cards...then players can choose only Gossip, Indulge, and Flirt for the remainder of the feast."

That also seems to omit Game as an activity, contradicting the first line about the 5 permitted activities. Is that an omission error?

I believe its an editing/omission error. I have no backing to support this other than it makes sense that you can game and wager at the high table assuming those proper knights and ladies would be interested! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardA said:

On p.8 of The Book of Feasts, it states: "There are five activities to choose from: Draw Cards (unless disallowed — see below), Gossip, Indulge, Flirt, or Game."

That also seems to omit Game as an activity, contradicting the first line about the 5 permitted activities. Is that an omission error?

Judging from the rest of the book, it certainly looks like it. 

Oh, and it might be worth pointing out that although a character above the salt cannot draw feast cards, I didn't see anything that says he or she cannot play a feast card if they wind up with one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, Morien said:

I expect it is an omission error too. I am sure David will chime in soon enough with an authorial answer.

An omission for sure. The Gaming option was added later in the design process, so looks like it didn't get inserted into the text in all the spots it should have.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:23 AM, Atgxtg said:

Oh, and it might be worth pointing out that although a character above the salt cannot draw feast cards, I didn't see anything that says he or she cannot play a feast card if they wind up with one.

I would certainly allow that interpretation. :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sirlarkins said:

I would certainly allow that interpretation. :)

BTW, this came up at my last feast: How do you handle ties? Do the winners split the  glory, does the feast continue for another round to determine a clear winner?

I'll add a question of my own, as SirLarkins has stopped by and I have a feast to run Sunday:

Geniality is gained when cards are drawn, not played, correct? So if a player of a 3,000 Glory PK draws two cards from the deck, the character immediately gains the Geniality from both, and then the player decides which of the two cards to play (absent any requirements on those cards that supersede that choice)?

I'll add that the feast system is quite fun and has added quite a bit of character building to the game.

Edited by SaxBasilisk

13 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

Geniality is gained when cards are drawn, not played, correct?

It is written that way, but in my game, only played cards gave geniality bonus.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, Tizun Thane said:

It is written that way, but in my game, only played cards gave geniality bonus.

I think that was how it was meant to work, otherwise high glory PKs could just  ddraw a bunch of cards and play the safest card and still out glory the other characters. So I've always took it to mean the glory  is  gained as the cards are  played.

13 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I think that was how it was meant to work, otherwise high glory PKs could just  ddraw a bunch of cards and play the safest card and still out glory the other characters. So I've always took it to mean the glory  is  gained as the cards are  played.

The other  effect that "Geniality gained from cardson play" provides is that a player drawing multiple cards gets interesting choices. If one card is worth more Geniality, but the other gives another benefit, which one should the player choose?

What I'm hearing is that I understand the rules as written - but also that"Geniality from cards played, not drawn" is a more satisfying interpretation for people. I may implement the latter, then. 

12 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

The other  effect that "Geniality gained from cardson play" provides is that a player drawing multiple cards gets interesting choices. If one card is worth more Geniality, but the other gives another benefit, which one should the player choose?

Yes, it if is from cards drawn then it sort of makes playing cards moot. A card that might net anther 2 or 3 gentility doesn't mean so much if  players are getting that just from drawing cards.

12 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

What I'm hearing is that I understand the rules as written - but also that"Geniality from cards played, not drawn" is a more satisfying interpretation for people. I may implement the latter, then. 

Yes, that is how the rules are written, but I don't believe that is how they were intended to be played. No only would doing so greatly increase the geniality/glory awards, and make card play much less significant, and doing anything other than drawing cards the equivalent of throwing in the towel, but it would pretty much give the win to the character who draws the most cards, just about every time. So I just don't believe that was the intention.

So. I just discovered the 10x Glory bonus was only to the knight with most Geniality.
That.... that changes a thing or two among the PKs in my game, as the Feasts have been quite good to them, especially the Aquitanian.
If I had to calculate backwards, it would mean the Aquitanian is 500 Glory ahead of the lowest in the group, as he's been handily winning every Feast by a margin of four to five Geniality.

Also. NPKs at the feast. Yes or no? Because they'll need to be rolled for as well.

Edited by KungFuFenris

10 minutes ago, KungFuFenris said:

Also. NPKs at the feast. Yes or no? Because they'll need to be rolled for as well.

Officallly you don't bother with NPKS as far as generaily and such goes. Also this sort of repsaents the PKS best feast all year. Also the number of feast cards a re limited and running mutiple N PKS  as if they were PKS would quickly become overwhelming and bog the feast down.

Unofficially, I could see running a feast where NPKs were involved.

• What I'd probably do for that would  be  to set a minimum Genality threshold to win the feast. For instance 5, 10, 15 whatever. If the PKS don't beat that value some NPK wins.
  • If I had some special VIP guest, I'd either award the VIP extra glory due to his special status, or maybe run one NPK like a PK.
  • Or, maybe make all the feast rolls opposed, and track geniality for the NPKs who are opposing the PKs.  
  • My  goal would be not to have  to need to take time to make any extra  rolls or draw cards for NPKs.