So they are making an Elric TV show - and a BBC series about Hawkmoon

Thot

Don't get excited.  Someone just optioned the rights to do Elric on TV, but is only at the "shopping around" stage of trying to find a way to actually make it happen.  Get excited when it goes into production and some network is starting to promote it.

There is more reason to be excited about the Runestaff novels coming to TV, though.  They are much further along.  I hope they don't screw it up.

• Like 1

In terms of licensing the games, this may make getting it harder or easier, depending. When a company grabs the rights, they typically grab associated media rights, like game tie-ins and such. This could put them up for grabs to anyone. And a lot of companies have been grabbing IP lately. Still, it would be a good time to examine the possibilities. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Mourneblade is an active license in France, IIRC...  So the Video & RPG rights may be separate in this case.

Although when I went to check, the website seems dead.  Maybe that license isn't so active after all...  

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 minutes ago, g33k said:

Mourneblade is an active license in France, IIRC...  So the Video & RPG rights may be separate in this case.

Liscensing can often by per country too,  so the French liscense might not affect the BBC thing.

9 minutes ago, g33k said:

Although when I went to check, the website seems dead.  Maybe that license isn't so active after all...  

Or  the project is stuck in development limbo. I think  there was talk of a Elric  movie a decade ago. Most project ideas don't make it to the screen, so these shows will probably  never become a real thing. Maybe they will, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Not that it wouldn't b e a nice thing so see some MM stuff adapted, provided whoever did it did a good job.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Nick J. said:

I'm really skeptical that any production will be able to get the tone right, but there's always hope (at least until the end when Stormbringer destroys the world).

So am I. It' seems far more likely that  the whole thing will be heavily modified to fit with current cultural political tastes as opposed to keeping true to the stories.

• Like 1

It would be good to see Hawkmoon and Elric on TV.

However, I would like to see Corum as well, as I thought he was more approachable.

Also, a madcap, 18-certificate Jerry Cornelius romp through the time streams would be fantastic, Baby!

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

31 minutes ago, soltakss said:

It would be good to see Hawkmoon and Elric on TV.

However, I would like to see Corum as well, as I thought he was more approachable.

Really. I would think that Hawkmoon might be the most approachable. He is more the typical hero, and one of the few major ECs who is actually a human and not as much of an outsider as a typical EC. Koln to Kamarg is only about 1000 km away, as opposed to being from a different plane of existence or species.

Not that I'd turn my nose up to a good Corum series.

31 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Also, a madcap, 18-certificate Jerry Cornelius romp through the time streams would be fantastic, Baby!

Oh, that would be a interesting one.  It would probably be very hard to follow, probably impossible for most viewers. I wonder if we'd get some Hawkwind music for the credits?

• Like 3

On 11/21/2019 at 5:19 PM, Atgxtg said:

So am I. It' seems far more likely that  the whole thing will be heavily modified to fit with current cultural political tastes as opposed to keeping true to the stories.

From MM himself: ‘This is a perfect time for the series, which seems more relevant today than it did when I originally wrote it.’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Addison said:

From MM himself: ‘This is a perfect time for the series, which seems more relevant today than it did when I originally wrote it.’

Yeah, but that doesn't really tell us how the show will come out. I have hope but often when a book series is turned into a film or TV  show it gets changed and doesn't come close to the original. Especially with Science Fiction and Fantasy. And these days...we could have a Black gender swapped lesbian Elric, in the name of cultural diversity and inclusivity. Not that I have anything against a black lesbian, just that she wouldn't be Elric.

• Like 1

I won't hold my breath.
Elric holds a special place for me and I doubt any TV show will come anywhere close to how I experienced it while reading.
More likely it will be heavily watered down and sanitized for our safety, especially if the U.S. makes it.

I'm less attached to Corum and Hawkmoon... so maybe I could watch those with less pain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Not that I'd turn my nose up to a good Corum series.

Although it’s not on offer, I suppose I could be talked in a weekly series with the Eternal Champion (all of ‘em) at its core. A trip to Granbrittan one week, then a sequel to swinging london, followed by a  sojourn in Tanelorn... I’m hip!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Who is your ideal Elric? (and other eternal champions as well) in terms of actor.

The idea of Tilder Swinton playing Elric is getting a lot of play on my friends' list. I think that she could do it but that might be a bit controversial for some folks.

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Sean_RDP said:

Who is your ideal Elric? (and other eternal champions as well) in terms of actor.

Johnny Winter’s being dead, that is a hard one. I would put money on him being just about perfect in look back in his youth, lose the redneck tees, jeans and cowboy hat and he's all sinewy chewy tuff ol’ boy muscles, but alas and alack, the moment he opens his mouth to proclaim "Y’all better fear me and my ruined blade!”  the illusion would burst! 

What else, drugs... check! Jaded and royalty... he was a rock star, check. Decadent, well one might be better off with the twin, Edgar, for that...

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

What else, drugs... check! Jaded and royalty... he was a rock star, check. Decadent, well one might be better off with the twin, Edgar, for that...

Shit, it’s obvious! Iggy Pop! Circa: early 70’s China Girl era!

• Like 2

Tilda Swinton is an interesting choice, but I can't say I ever really envisioned Elric as an androgyne (as for Jerry Cornelius for sure she'd be dead on). If Iggy Pop wasn't 1,000 years old I would have voted for him as the person that most closely matched my mind's eye vision of Elric. I have no idea who could come close to that in the modern crop of actors.

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

Tilda Swinton is an interesting choice, but I can't say I ever really envisioned Elric as an androgyne (Jerry Cornelius for sure she'd be dead on). If Iggy Pop wasn't 1,000 years old I would have voted for him as the person that most closely matched my mind's eye vision of Elric. I have no idea who could come close to that in the modern crop of actors.

iff you were going androgyny , early patti smith..

Defiance showed us that just about any actor can be made into a white-skinned heroic monster.

If the Elric series is going to become anything like the trailer/teaser bits, I am fairly relaxed. Less howling souls sucked into Stormbringer than in the novels, but there are limits to what TV can achieve.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Defiance showed us that just about any actor can be made into a white-skinned heroic monster.

Yes, in terms of today's effects Elric is pretty tame. Just a pale flesh tone, white wig and pink contacts (or CGI). It's probably more a matter of casting someone think and frail enough enough to look the part (Some of the Michael Wheelan covers aside) and of course act the  part. In some ways Moorcocks writing is well suited for TV  as the really impressive things, that would require the most CGI tend to be used sparingly. Melniboean dragons mostly sleep and are only used a handful of times in the books. Arioch as a fly or an actor  is pretty easy on the budget, and his "shoggoth" form only shows up once. 

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:

If the Elric series is going to become anything like the trailer/teaser bits, I am fairly relaxed. Less howling souls sucked into Stormbringer than in the novels, but there are limits to what TV can achieve.

Not so much. We've certainly seen stuff that pushes the envelope  further on TV in recent years. It depends more of what service is broadcasting it. a BBC series on BBC has some limits, but one released on cable or a streaming service less so.  If they partner up with someone such a s Netflix or Amazon to share the production costs,  they could broadcast an edited "PG" version and stream a n R-rated one. 

• Like 2