I think that the rules for becoming a Chief or High Priest have an error

Brootse

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 9:40 PM, Brootse said:

The rules say that:

Qualify to Found Own Temple of the Cult:

To do this, a Rune Priest or Rune Lord must have a minimum of 15 Rune points and 90% ability in three cult Knowledge skills.

Was it supposed to say just "three cult skills"?

I don't see why that is an error. There might be cults that don't have three Knowledge skills - Storm Bull, for instance, only has Cult Lore and Battle. Exceptions like that are down to the GM's discreation, I'd probably allow Understand Herd Beast as a third skill. Or maybe just waive the third knowledge skill requirement for cults that aren't big on thinking.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I don't see why that is an error. There might be cults that don't have three Knowledge skills - Storm Bull, for instance, only has Cult Lore and Battle. Exceptions like that are down to the GM's discreation, I'd probably allow Understand Herd Beast as a third skill. Or maybe just waive the third knowledge skill requirement for cults that aren't big on thinking.

Mm.. so you are saying those cult can't have Priest or Rune Lord basically... How is that.. normal? :o 

5 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Mm.. so you are saying those cult can't have Priest or Rune Lord basically... How is that.. normal? :o 

No I am explicitly saying the opposite! I am saying that if the cult does not have three knowledge skills, then this rule should not apply. How did you conclude that I was saying anything else? (and the question is about High Priest, not Priest or Rune Lord)

Edited by PhilHibbs

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

No I am explicitly saying the opposite! I am saying that if the cult does not have three knowledge skills, then this rule should not apply. How did you conclude that I was saying anything else? (and the question is about High Priest, not Priest or Rune Lord)

I am confused.. you seem to disagree with the poster.. who was saying just that....
Welcome the twilight zone! :S

I disagreed with the poster's suggestion that "three knowledge skills" is a mistake, and it should just say "three skills".

If the cult has three or more knowledge skills, then this rule is fine. If the cult does not have three, then the rule needs to be interpreted flexibly.

Perhaps the rule should say "and 90% ability in three cult Knowledge skills, or as many knowledge skills as the cult has plus other cult skills to make it up to three if the cult does not have three knowledge skills" but that's a bit wordy.

Or perhaps having HIgh Priests does not make much sense for a cult with less than three Knowledge skills? I kinda remember a sort of "Storm Khan of Khans" (Storm Kaghan?) figure from River of Cradles, but I think most Uroxi worshipers are organized in small warbands and no more. 

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Perhaps the rule should say "and 90% ability in three cult Knowledge skills, or as many knowledge skills as the cult has plus other cult skills to make it up to three if the cult does not have three knowledge skills" but that's a bit wordy.

I would do that too. So for Storm Bull, it would be Cult Lore plus a couple skills to show you know your way around an axe, and/or that you can hold your beer :D

But I agree with the OP that it's an error in the rules -- "errors" don't have to be mechanical errors... in a general definition of the term, I think they can also be typos, inconsistencies, unclear wording, etc.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

14 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Or perhaps having HIgh Priests does not make much sense for a cult with less than three Knowledge skills?

I think most Uroxi worshipers are organized in small warbands and no more. 

I admit, this makes me envision a bunch of Uroxi priests duking it out  in a general melee to see who's the High Priest at THIS meeting...

edit: thanks a lot... you may've just made My Glorantha a lot more violent-I-mean-colorful; the force is strong with this meme!

Edited by g33k
Hating the mobile-device editor!
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig