Sean_RDP

Playing With Iconic Characters

I thought this was a topic here but maybe not. Did anyone ever run SB using the characters from the books for the PCs? I am curious how that went for you. Were they ever used in playtest?

• Like 1

I ran SB with some of the characters. If I remember correctly I introduced Rackhir, Smiorgan, Avan Astran and Elric. It really depends on your group of players. Some players, or characters, may react badly, specially with melnibonéan characters like Elric. The thing is even Elric is quite killable so, as a GM, you might have to fudge some rolls or add "Cosmic Balance Points" (like fate points) or something like that to protect the main characters.

• Like 1

I've used Elric, Yyrkoon and Smiorgan as NPCs.

I think to use the characters as PCs needs a group of players who are heavily into the Eternal Champion lore.

Colin

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, el_octogono said:

I now realize I misunderstood the question. I never ran SB using personalities as PCs. I think it would be fun but a totally different experience from the novels.

It seemed like an important part of the early versions of SB and in the 80s may have been a more popular style of play. I am curious if anyone took that road and how it differed from the novels, as you mention. 

I was forced by the players to use Elric, Dyvim Slorm, and Dharnizhaan (yes) as NPC's. It was a hairy thing, but I think I did them justice to some extend.

Never used any pregenerated characters in any RPG, though. Players should be able to forge their own characters.

Edited by Thot
  • Like 1