Sign in to follow this  
Darran

[HeroQuest 2] Publication News!

This has just been announced by Rick Meints of Moon Design.

Some good news! :D

HeroQuest 2009: We're back!!!

Hello all,

To begin, thank you all for your patience as Moon Design got through its quiet phase, mainly due to the trying economic times that face many of us. Work and travel overseas took its toll on my schedule, but that is largely all sorted now. Production is gearing back up and many things are getting back on track. My first announcement deals with an addition to the Moon Design Team. Jeff Richard is now my partner with the specific task of developing all Gloranthan HeroQuest products. He is the single point of contact for all authors.

As for publications, here is the latest on what is in the works:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

HeroQuest: Core Rules (2nd Edition). The long awaited book is finally here! This is Robin Laws' innovative, dynamic and flexible rules engine suitable for play in any genre or setting. It presents a simple and flexible system that allows Game Masters to make decisions the way authors and screenwriters do when creating novels, TV episodes and movies. HeroQuest encourages creative input from your players, resulting in an exciting, unpredictable narrative created through group collaboration. Its resolution methods and scalable character levels make it equally suitable to any genre, from epic fantasy to satirical soap opera. Whether your next game idea draws on horror, war, westerns, martial arts, pulps, cyberpunk, cliff-hangers, giant robots, super-powered heroes, space opera, cop action, corporate intrigue, furry animals, swashbuckling adventure, Greek tragedy or drawing room comedy, HeroQuest can resolve its scenes of conflict, both big and small. You could even use HeroQuest to emulate a musical—although it won’t do any of the singing or dancing for you. Completely rewritten by the original designer, this new edition opens and details running the core system for any genre. 160 pages. Available in June 2009 (including the Tentacles convention).

The Sartar Book. In progress since 1980 (!), The Sartar Book is the largest Gloranthan sourcebook ever published and contains in one BIG volume (nearly 400 pages!) everything you need to run a Gloranthan campaign set amongst the storm-worshipping tribes of the Kingdom of Sartar; how to create Sartarite characters and clans, magic and religion of the Sartarites (including new HQ writeups of the cults of Orlanth, Ernalda, Humakt, Chalana Arroy, Issaries, Lhankor Mhy, Elmal, Urox and Yinkin), Orlanthi heroquesting, background information about Sartar and its people, an an epic campaign arc with love, vengeance, and mythic adventure - including adventures in the Upland Marsh and a major Heroquest through the Underworld. Tons of new material that has never been printed before - this is a hefty load of pure Gloranthan Gold. Most importantly, your heroes are the center of this saga! Although we are still working on final edits, art and maps, a special limited edition pre-release version will be available at Tentacles.

Next up:

--------------------------

The Pavis Book. The first supplement to the Sartar Book, the Pavis Book is an update of the classic Pavis and Big Rubble setting, revised for the HeroQuest rules. But this is not a reprint of the old material - the Pavis Book contains new adventures, new information, and insights into some of the secrets of the ancient Walled City. Contains writeups of the cult of Pavis, Yelmalio, the Seven Mothers and others.

Whitewall: the Last Rebel King. Yep, you heard right, we are going to put your heroes right in the middle of the great battles of Whitewall and Iceland.Contains background on the Hendriking, Volsaxing and Heortland, as well as astory arc that puts your heroes in the middle of the action.

Other manuscripts are still in the production pipeline, including Ian Cooper's Coming Storm Campaign, Distant Shores, the Aldryami Book, and Heroes of Malkion. More on their publication dates will be announced

later this summer.

Rick Meints

Publisher, Moon Design

And here is the picture of the cover again! :cool:

Ok, just received confirmation that I am allowed to post this! Here's the cover for HeroQuest 2.0.

hq12cb9.jpg

©2008 Jon Hodgson

Can we get a link to the original announcement/official webpage/etc?

I am hoping the 2nd edition cleans up the mechanics a little more, and would be willing to check it out.

Thanks.

I wish I could get excited about this. I even re-read HeroQuest as I planned out a River of Cradles campaign hoping that it might spark something, but I'm just not a narrative gamer.

I love to role play but I much prefer a system that is closer to a simulation to resolve and codify how the world works.

I love the Hero Wars/HeroQuest source material but I don't see myself ever playing the game.

What exactly is depicted in that cover? Looks like a second age battle at Zistorwal or something?

SGL.

It is a multi-genre image. The HQ2 rules are generic.

The 400 page Sartar book is the first setting book for it. Drool.

What exactly is depicted in that cover? Looks like a second age battle at Zistorwal or something?

SGL.

It looks as though someone thought of as many cool settings as they could and included them.

Beetle Aliens - check

Super Heroes - check

Monks with daggers - check

Martial Art monks - check

Pirates - check

Dirigibles - check

Although it looks very seventies (an era which I like) I'm not too keen on the picture. Fortunately, I never buy something because of the artwork (wasted space where text could go) so it probably won't stop me buying it.

It's been announced on the Heroquest-RPG and WorldofGlorantha mailing lists. I haven't seen a web announcement.

Moon Design do have a website (well - a blog):

Moon Design Studios

The blog looks like it is regularly updated - and they are even taking preorders for HQ2 via PayPal!

Is hero-quest a BRP style game?

No, not really. As an evolution of the previous HeroQuest, itself a refinement for the original HeroWars it's a (distant) descendant of Greg Stafford's King Arthur Pendragon, in which one can discern a certain degree of kinship to BRP. But it's really an entirely separate game strongly associated with Glorantha, the setting RQ was originally developed for.

Cheers,

Nick

It is reasonably compatible with BRP/RQ. At least, it is probably as easy to convert to BRP/RQ as D20 is. The cults are good sketches of RQ cults. If you want Third Age Gloranthan material then HQ is a good start.

If you are interested in Alternate Earth, Mythic Russia is a HeroQuest game set in medieval Russia that is begging to be adapted to BRP/RQ.

Of course, there are people who claim that HeroQuest is toally incompatible with BRP and they have a point. The rules are different, there is no concept of Hit Points, Armour Points, it doesn't use a D100 and so on. But it is easily converted.

But [HeroQuest is] really an entirely separate game strongly associated with Glorantha, the setting RQ was originally developed for.
Many would argue that the HeroQuest mechanics stand on their own, and that all of the Gloranthan details (magic, foremost) are merely bolt-ons. The fact that the forthcoming edition of HQ is being released as a generic game engine lends that argument some credence.

!i!

For people who are interested, I've done a preview of the new HQ2 rules (since I'm in a privilaged posisition of having a pdf of the final to print version).

Its in installments

Introduction - writen back in Oct, longish also includes my experiences coming from RQ with previous editions.

Part 1: Overview -Includes the contents list.

Next up next week is Character Generation and Rules System.

I've really enjoyed playing a couple of HQ/HW games at cons. But tellingly the GM/narrator/co-enabling-player has binned much of the complexity which Newt analyses in his review so maybe I wasn't actually playing HQ/HQ?!

I find HQ/HW as compatible with BRP as anyhthing else is and indeed my favourite character generation rules are the 'list method' from HQ/HW.

Al

If you are interested in Alternate Earth, Mythic Russia is a HeroQuest game set in medieval Russia that is begging to be adapted to BRP/RQ.

I've been doing this for a while. My players didn't quite get the "bumps" and so I ported the system to BRP.

Having played HeroWars under a rock, with little input from the community, it is a relief to see many of the things I changed find their way into print.

I hated trait whoring, and didn't like the magic system either. I also wasn't a big fan of the character generation method (too many words!). I ran a wuxia game using the system to great effect. I limited the characters to 5 - 10 words to describe their abilities, and I limited augments to a single other word.

Sorry to see the AP bidding gone, so would my players. We loved the desperate gambit/all-or-nothing potential of extended contests. Having a better injury mechanic will however, be welcomed.

I'm looking forward to the system myself.

Although AP bidding is gone from the core book, you can still use it alongside the current rules. Quoted straight from the rule book

"Devotees of the previous bidding system can still use the rest of this rulebook with their preferred approach."

BTW next part Character Generation now up

Hearts In Glorantha » Blog Archive » HeroQuest 2 preview pt 2: Character Generation

After a lengthy return trip from Tentacles during which the only thing I could do to fight boredom was reading HeroQuest 2 and Sartar, I can say that the rules are really an improvement over the previous two editions. They still appeal only to gamers who really love the narrativist game style, but this time Robin Laws & his assistants managed to cut off the bad parts and keep most of the good ones. Unfortunately this leaves you with an almost rule-less system, basically a good book of roleplaying advice written by veterans of the craft. Not recommended for beginning GMs.

The Gloranthan magic system is a totally different story. It is really Gloranthan, works smoothly, and does not contradict previously published stuff like HW or HQ1 did. And, most important of all, you can easily take all that is written there, replace the term Affinity (Rune) with Allegiance (Rune) or Runecasting (Rune), convert the target/mastery notation to a percentile score, and... got the idea? :thumb:

The Gloranthan magic system is a totally different story. It is really Gloranthan, works smoothly, and does not contradict previously published stuff like HW or HQ1 did. And, most important of all, you can easily take all that is written there, replace the term Affinity (Rune) with Allegiance (Rune) or Runecasting (Rune), convert the target/mastery notation to a percentile score, and... got the idea? :thumb:

Sounds good. Excited about the magic system am I.

Is the core of the magic systems in the HeroQuest book with the actual cults in the Sartar book or could one just get by with the Sartar book if their goal was conversion to another system that is, oh, say, d100 based?

Possession of the Heroquest 2 book is recommended but the Sartar book alone is already a good starting point. You will find more information in the restricted forum in a couple of minutes. Quite sadly, the only one that will be generally available within one month is HeroQuest and not Sartar. And as usual, most of the existing copies of Sartar are on the wrong (for you) side of the Atlantic Ocean.

And as usual, most of the existing copies of Sartar are on the wrong (for you) side of the Atlantic Ocean.

I really hate that damn ocean sometimes.

I am extremely excited for Sartar. Are there people I can torture to get the maps and art done quicker?

Is hero-quest a BRP style game?

Not at all. The only link is Glorantha.

After a lengthy return trip from Tentacles during which the only thing I could do to fight boredom was reading HeroQuest 2 and Sartar...

Bored? Couldn't you just have partied with Norwegian #3? >:-> :D

Possession of the Heroquest 2 book is recommended but the Sartar book alone is already a good starting point.

The Sartar book does sound interesting. :)

SGL.

Bored? Couldn't you just have partied with Norwegian #3? >:-> :D

SGL.

I partied with 2 Norwegians once about 25 years ago and I'm still recovering! Be prepared to make a lot of CON rolls if you take him up on this offer ;).

Thalaba