Weeders in THE MANDALORIAN

Qizilbashwoman

20 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Also, Omega Doom is hilarious.

I can see that, Rutger Hauer is often underrated and left in a pigeon hole of tuff action dood but since with his great speech in .Blade Runner, I have had a fondness for him. So are you recommending, “Glass Key”? The book or the movie or neither. you are simply citing it?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

A radio adaptation starring Orson Welles aired on March 10, 1939, as part of his Campbell Playhouse series.

This sounds interesting, might have to check this out for the Orson...

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So yo ae recommitting, “Glass Key”? The book or the movie or neither. you are simply citing it?

Oh my source was my memory, you googled a source so I'm not arguing my memory "glass key" is better than your specific source that says "the film The Glass Key". I don't really have a dog in this hunt, I just was saying what I remembered. Yojimbo is part of a long train of films that are homages or remakes of homages and remakes of previous films: consider Takashi Miike's fantastic Sukiyaki Western Django, which is Genji v. Heike retold as a spaghetti western Man with No Name except the western town is inexplicably Japanese

2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Oh my source was my memory, you googled a source so I'm not arguing my memory "glass key" is better than your specific source that says "the film The Glass Key". I don't really have a dog in this hunt, I just was saying what I remembered. Yojimbo is part of a long train of films that are homages or remakes of homages and remakes of previous films: consider Takashi Miike's fantastic Sukiyaki Western Django, which is Genji v. Heike retold as a spaghetti western Man with No Name except the western town is inexplicably Japanese

Ah I see, well I have found the Orson Wells radio play The Glass Key so I will have to give it a listen...

Cheers

24 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'm lagging a bit behind, but is it fair to say that the Japanese Ronin genre and American Western genres kind of developed in tandem through mutual influences?

Part of it is that Westerns and jidaigeki are drawing upon similar thematic elements- they're set in a time and place where legitimate authority is absent or distant and violence is part of everyday life, where a solitary figure or a small group of people can reasonably impose order on the world and be right. And so you see some similarities with knight-errant stories from Medieval Europe and youxia stories from China too. (Or for that matter, detective novels in the noir/hard-boiled bent- it's a fun game to watch Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars and then read Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest shortly thereafter.)

Another part of it is that jidaigeki is in its modern form a creation of the film and television industry more than novels and Japan was absolutely wild for American movies during the early part of the 20th century. So pretty much anyone making a jidaigeki movie when the genre was being defined had seen stuff from Bronco Billy up to about Stagecoach. And then after the 1950s the genres feed off each other substantially. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

1 hour ago, Eff said:

Another part of it is that jidaigeki is in its modern form a creation of the film and television industry more than novels and Japan was absolutely wild for American movies during the early part of the 20th century. So pretty much anyone making a jidaigeki movie when the genre was being defined had seen stuff from Bronco Billy up to about Stagecoach. And then after the 1950s the genres feed off each other substantially. 

Some truly transcendental work has been done by Takashi Miike. One of his films is about the Brazilian Japanese and their fraught relationship with Japan; they speak fluent Japanese but have Brazilian mannerisms, listen to "outlandish" music, dance inappropriately, and are otherwise deeply objectionable. In his film, Tokyo is where LA is and Brazil is Mexico, so the border is literally the US-Mexico border.

He does a similar thing with the Heike war in Sukiyaji Western Django, which is I believe Fistful. It's the Wild West, except it's also a Japanese hamlet. It opens with the Man without a Name riding past a torii ⛩ with a bandit hanging from a noose, one cowboy boot having fallen off.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eff said:

Or for that matter, detective novels in the noir/hard-boiled bent

I'm a lot more familiar with the history of pulp fiction and the hard-boiled genre (and its eventual evolution into/influence on the superhero genre down the road, but that's another matter), so thanks for putting this into context. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'm a lot more familiar with the history of pulp fiction and the hard-boiled genre (and its eventual evolution into/influence on the superhero genre down the road, but that's another matter), so thanks for putting this into context. 

Interestingly fo me. that was that was the beauty inherent in the whole point. You can not get a whole lot more hardboiled than Dashiell Hammett , and we were taking about ways his work impacted Japanese cinema...

Edited by Bill the barbarian