DIY your way to OLG or even BRP bliss

18 hours ago, Old Man Henerson said:

So how difficult would this process be? Is all we have to do is copy and paste the Big Golden Book, add some monsters, lore, maps, a few pictures and we are done?

Well... I presume it will NOT be the BGB, but some new "BRP-SRD" document (possibly with pieces of the BGB within it).

We'll have to see how much the new SRD offers bunches of options (of which I presume a standalone RPG will only want to offer a single preferred option for any rule; but hey -- I guess you could just throw the fulltext of a generic system at your specfic setting, and call it a day).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, kirinyaga said:

For book binding, here is a tutorial for the simplest method. It's in french but you only really need to look at the pictures (ignore the first one to make a tiny book, print your pdf on A3 for A4 book or A4 for A5 book) :

If you ask me every  thing sounds and looks so much better in french (whether understood or not, but pics help.

A little after taking look at the following posts... 

Bows as deeply as one can while repeating “I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.” 

WOW! In my opinion the entire community can say thanks for that. It sounds amazingly difficult though.

It just occurred to me, could this methods be used with an old and beloved module that is long past its best before date. Spines gone pages are barely holding on... Could staples be removed, stitched cut out with razor blades glue softened wth steam and then the pages lovingly treated as above?

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

It surely can. And a search on youtube/google about book restoration will probably give you a lot of results. Plus, it's up to you to build it stronger than it ever was.

I think it requires to be a lot more delicate though. And personnaly I will make a few new ones first before trying it, if only to have an idea about what could go wrong and where/when should I be more careful. If pages barely hold, you'll probably have to reinforce them a bit, too, and stitching a regular one may give you ideas how to do it properly. I actually made some tests with a couple A5 versions of those books first, using only a few signatures. That's how I saw it was easier than I thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kirinyaga said:

It surely can. And a search on youtube/google about book restoration will probably give you a lot of results. Plus, it's up to you to build it stronger than it ever was.

Oh man, that’s great and if this thread goes no where else and the DIY goodness stops here,  am happy. I mean that looks hard but you have given me food for thought. I might have to learn the other side of the printer—ol skool now!

THANK YOU!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, g33k said:

I actually DO have a product or two in mind, that I might produce in the manner you are discussing in this thread...

While I am digging up material...  I will be ready by Sunday maybe... In the meantime, what did you have in mind?

18 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

While I am digging up material...  I will be ready by Sunday maybe... In the meantime, what did you have in mind?

The I-can't-afford-to-license-that-but-really-want-the-RPG one, that I'd have to do just for my own pleasure, is Novik's Temeraire series.

The genre homage (which I've seen pieces of here on BRPC, including IIRC the download section) and might actually create for a putative BRP-engine "Community Content" product, is a complete take on BRP-GammaWorld.

(If anyone knows of anything I've missed, I'd happily grab those instead of doing all.that.work myself!)

C'es ne pas un .sig

Steps along the way

Yes, I have two vanity projects on the go right now that I am having a blast with... takes me back to first learning all this stuff doing papers for school and taking the time to learn typing, Word Processing, simple art and image manipulation just so I got two lessons in one session Taking layout and cut and paste to new levels with more and more powerful computers while learning to Make My Glorantha Vary (biggest project was trying to create style sheets for a CoP GoG mash-up of RQ 2 and 3 goodness in long form) was such a blast. Almost as much fun as playing Civ (the board game) RQ and Marathon (the Mac game) all together, better!). It was a large project and doomed to failure with a dramatic lack of software transition support with the switches from the Aldus company to Adobe and then the switches from PM 5 to 6 and 6.5 and then InDesign.(I think the are now at CSS Indesign 13 where Freddie meets Micheal meets pinhead meets the terminator...)I had to throw my hands in air (as though I just didn’t care) and give up.

To be honest a thread here with SDLeary (?) about saving my work (well bringing it forward into Indesign, I had already saved it {learning moment here, there are two kinds of people, those who have yet to back up and...}) was the bee in my bonnet for launching this topic. Many of you saw or participated in the OGL news thread that was the latest sire or mare to these ideas,

So, the point I am making is any work I have done before is now going into my projects. Moral of this tale.Shit, there is none. Well,  I guess obviously fail, go ahead.  I will never bring back those projects of yester-century, butI have learned more and can do better, now.  But i needed to do them to get where I am. Mmmm listen to SDleary and his ilk... well yes. And so many others here as well.

Did I become a rich and powerful print mogul, not even friggin. close, but I will say the skills have helped me and many others made life easier, and cooler and given me a great hobby that plays so well with all my other hobbies. 

Well I had promised something that required research but I am too sick with some kinda virus that has  something to do with rhinos and well this might be as good as it gets, I thought some notes of what I have been doing and where I came from would be boring and drivel ya ol’goat kinda fun.

Cheers

On 12/5/2019 at 8:08 PM, g33k said:

is Novik's Temeraire series.

Que est, mon ami?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Que est, mon ami?

Naomi Novik wrote a series...

Ya know how Traveller & StarTrek other sci-fi in the genre that has days-and-weeks-and-sometimes-even-months in space, is sometimes likened VERY directly to "Age of Sail" fiction?  Captain Kirk as Horatio Hornblower in spaaace!, etc?

So she went back to the ACTUAL age of Sail, the Napoleonic war.

With one, tiny, difference...

It turns out, with the right lighter-than-air (presumably helium)  pseudo-scientific biological handwavery (you mustn't look TOO close, because it's actually impossible... but there's no other pseudo-science or other "magic" in the setting, so lean in HARD on suspending disbelief) ... It turns out dragons can fly!

And in addition to armies and navies, the Napoleonic War was fought with an Aerial Corps.

Horatio Hornblower of the skies!

But also, the dragons can speak; so it's the story of the sea-captain who became an at-first-reluctant air-captain, and how his dragon won him over.

ohyeahalsosomedragonscanbreathefireandsomecanspitacidandsomecanroarsonicattacksandDAMMITALLITOLDYOUTOLEANINHARD!!!

But seriously, suspend the disbelief, accept the singular magic of dragons, and the series is a delight!

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

Ya know how Traveller & StarTrek other sci-fi in the genre that has days-and-weeks-and-sometimes-even-months in space, is sometimes likened VERY directly to "Age of Sail" fiction?  Captain Kirk as Horatio Hornblower in spaaace!, etc?

Oh do get ahold of deep space  9s episode where Cisco takes his kid on a hand built Solar Jammer, The ship is pretty the show is one the best in the canon.

2 minutes ago, g33k said:

It turns out, with the right lighter-than-air (presumably helium)  pseudo-scientific biological handwavery (you mustn't look TOO close, because it's actually impossible... but there's no other pseudo-science or other "magic" in the setting, so lean in HARD on suspending disbelief) ... It turns out dragons can fly!

I discovered a new element, while wandering amongst the threads of text here the other day. Handwaviumm by name. I suspect it must have an atomic number below helium or hydrogens low number as it seems so light and airy...

Sounds wonderful, my good man, you build it and I will play it!

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

... Sounds wonderful, my good man, you build it and I will play it!

Vol.1 His Majesty's Dragon... You don't have to wait, the novels are available now!

😁

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/4/2019 at 12:59 PM, kirinyaga said:

... And personnaly I will make a few new ones first before trying it, if only to have an idea about what could go wrong and where/when should I be more careful...

I like everything you said here, but especially wanted to call out this bit!  Truer words never spoken...

And I generalize it, for folks new to "crafty" activities:  whenever you launch with a new medium or material, try a "junk" sampler first, something where you don't care if the product is awful and the materials wasted.  Maybe second too, third, etc. 

Before you commit anything irretrievable or even expensive to replace (like a unique piece of wood, a brace of fresh Char your buddy brought on ice back from the Arctic Circle, or that one 40-year-old dungeon you prize above all others) be sure you test any method or technique with "ordinary" materials, until you are confident that you can do justice to the materials or opportunities that you CARE about.

I learned the hard way... more than once.  I hope the lesson has finally stuck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just now, g33k said:

Gonna Taiko up an' HomboboBOOM you, you ain't careful son!

Can’t wait, know any Gene Krupa, Louis Prima,, Buddy Rich? Not sure what kinds funky instrument that that is but with a name like that  I know it can do.this

To quote from a post elsewhere here in Alastor’s Skull Inn...

Thanks all for weighting in and I apologize for my absence. Head colds may be thought of as Malia’s way of saying sit down and stop thinking for a while.. I want to comment but it hurts too much so I will just say please keep posting and I will be back when thinking does not hurt.

Cheers

• Like 1