Vehicles...

mummi

I have never played a modern and or future system, only been in the mythical realm :P.

But now I am making a quest in a modern "supernatural" world and the players kinda need a car.... Should I make a info sheet for the car or is that not necessary? I would like to have the game to depend on their driving skill and the car at some point well the plot I have in mind has at one point a small focus on the car. Is it enough to just tell them they have a car or should I have it on paper :P and also if they want to ... I don't know buy a GPS or what ever how should I make that work? give the driver some extra in tracking while driving or what?

Please tell me how you use cars/trucks/boats/whathaveyou's in a moder/future brp setting?

I think doing up complete stats for an automobile is really dependent upon just in what way it is to interact with the adventure. If the players are planning on using it to only travel from point A to point B, complete stats are not really necessary. Maybe just speed. The characteristics given in the core book would be more than enough.

On the other hand, if there is to be lots of vehicular combat, then the cars would need to be detailed in the same way as a player character is. Hit points, armor, maybe locations and a vehicular control sheet, etc.

As for a GPS. It really depends on your groups style of play. You could just say "because of your GPS, you make it to your destination with no hassle". Or, as it's really just a simple computer, you could figure an Easy Technical (Computer) roll.

Pretty much dependent on the adventure/setting and style of play.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I'd suggest only tracking the stats you really need. Wrting down the AP and HP and such are nice, since you never know when a gunfight might break out, but otherwise don't give yourself more work that you need.

I'd also say that any TECH Stuff, for example a GPS system, should be used with a skill and/or provide a modifier to a skill, being used by a character (Driving,or Navigation for instance). That way the equipment doesn't overshadow the characters.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Please tell me how you use cars/trucks/boats/whathaveyou's in a moder/future brp setting?

The trick is to think about what the car/truck/boat/whathaveyou is needed or, and what you expect the PCs to do with it. That should help you figure out just what details are going to be important.

For example, in a modern/supernatural campaign, I would see a vehicles being used by the PCs to:

1) Get them from Point A to Point B (Like from their HQ to the suspected lair o a werewolf).

2) Carry any gear they might need (silver bullets for example)

3) Get them away from point B PDQ, when things are going horribly wrong and they need to get out of dodge. ("I thought you had the silver bullets!"

4) Provide them with some cover when things are going badly. ("Oh my gawd, we didn't shake it, and it's clawing through the roof").

5) Serve as a secondary basecamp under adverse circumstances ("Uh, guys, I think I lost my wallet back there. It had all my money, and my driver's license. Can werewolves read?")

6) Be used as an emergency source of funding. ("How much will you give me for the van? UH no, those aren't claw marks, that's a sun roof. Tires are overrated anyway.)

7) Serve as temporary living quarters when necessary. ("Gee Sally, snuggled up like this isn't too bad. Say, that's a nasty looking scar on your hand there. Is that an animal bite?")

8) Serve as place to stash things that PCs don't want to be found. ("Sally, oh NO, SAALLLYY, NOOOOOO!")

Personally, I suggest a nondescript van with tinted glass. Getting it armored and installing puncture proof tires aren't bad ideas, but let the players figure those things out or themselves.

Personally, I suggest a nondescript van with tinted glass. Getting it armored and installing puncture proof tires aren't bad ideas, but let the players figure those things out or themselves.

Ahh yes, the Cthulhu Investigators Van, close relative of the Mystery Machine (the latter distinguished from the former by the lack of nondescript-ness).

Next time I'm rolling up a character for a CoC game I'm going to tell the GM I want to be the owner of a Van Dealership.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

AN RV might be better, but the van has a higher kewlness rating, and is harder to spot in traffic.

Ahh yes, the RV does have it's uses, and has been pressed into world saving/crime commiting (at the same time mind you) duties. Once we even bought a Semi and had to send one of the party members to truck driving school.

But the van is the perfect balance of handling, storage, anonymity, and flexibility for general investigative use.

In our science fiction campaign I give each vehicle an in-game systemless

description including:

- dimensions,

- passenger and cargo capacity,

- electronics (computer, communicator, sensors, etc.) and what they

can do (range of communicator and sensors, etc.),

- power source, speed and range of the vehicle,

- weaponry (if any),

- special properties (e.g. "can move on water" for a ground vehicle),

- price.

For other campaigns I would add an armour value, but in this campaign it is

not necessary, because the weapons used are either too weak to damage a

vehicle (personal weapons) or so powerful that they destroy it completely

(vehicle and starship weapons), and combat is extremely rare in this setting.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Ahh yes, the RV does have it's uses, and has been pressed into world saving/crime commiting (at the same time mind you) duties. Once we even bought a Semi and had to send one of the party members to truck driving school.

But the van is the perfect balance of handling, storage, anonymity, and flexibility for general investigative use.

According to Q manual, an Aston Martin DB V is THE perfect vehicle for modifications and villain busting, and as also a very high coolness factor. Of course, as you will probably be the owner of the only one in a 500 km radius, blending in a trafic can become a problem.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

According to Q manual, an Aston Martin DB V is THE perfect vehicle for modifications and villain busting, and as also a very high coolness factor. Of course, as you will probably be the owner of the only one in a 500 km radius, blending in a trafic can become a problem.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

You know, I almost threw in the "For Call of Cthulhu, not James Bond" clause in my above evalution, thinking specificaly of the Victory Games RPG and the Aston Martin itself. An MI6 00 agent should never, ever, drive a van (or RV for that matter).

The trick is to think about what the car/truck/boat/whathaveyou is needed or, and what you expect the PCs to do with it. That should help you figure out just what details are going to be important.

For example, in a modern/supernatural campaign, I would see a vehicles being used by the PCs to:

1) Get them from Point A to Point B (Like from their HQ to the suspected lair o a werewolf).

2) Carry any gear they might need (silver bullets for example)

3) Get them away from point B PDQ, when things are going horribly wrong and they need to get out of dodge. ("I thought you had the silver bullets!"

4) Provide them with some cover when things are going badly. ("Oh my gawd, we didn't shake it, and it's clawing through the roof").

5) Serve as a secondary basecamp under adverse circumstances ("Uh, guys, I think I lost my wallet back there. It had all my money, and my driver's license. Can werewolves read?")

6) Be used as an emergency source of funding. ("How much will you give me for the van? UH no, those aren't claw marks, that's a sun roof. Tires are overrated anyway.)

7) Serve as temporary living quarters when necessary. ("Gee Sally, snuggled up like this isn't too bad. Say, that's a nasty looking scar on your hand there. Is that an animal bite?")

8) Serve as place to stash things that PCs don't want to be found. ("Sally, oh NO, SAALLLYY, NOOOOOO!")

It's like you read my mind!

You know, I almost threw in the "For Call of Cthulhu, not James Bond" clause in my above evalution, thinking specificaly of the Victory Games RPG and the Aston Martin itself. An MI6 00 agent should never, ever, drive a van (or RV for that matter).

Agreed.

For JB007, I am (was, in fact) using an AC Cobra.

For less showy games, I tend to use Jaguars and for CoC, Bugattis. In europe, vans are far less commons, and I tend to use big, comfortable cars, in brands that are not too uncommon, to be able to blend.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

An MI6 00 agent should never, ever, drive a van (or RV for that matter).

Never say Never.

There are some times when a van is a good choice for a MI6 agent. You can get a lot much electronic stuff packed away inside one, and they're great for surveillance. Armor one up and it even makes a good tank substitute. It just isn't as fast or quite the babe magnet as the Aston Martin.

Although these days, I doubt the DB V is still a babe magnet. You'd probably need a newer spotscar with a much larger price tag.

Never say Never.

There are some times when a van is a good choice for a MI6 agent. You can get a lot much electronic stuff packed away inside one, and they're great for surveillance. Armor one up and it even makes a good tank substitute. It just isn't as fast or quite the babe magnet as the Aston Martin.

Although these days, I doubt the DB V is still a babe magnet. You'd probably need a newer spotscar with a much larger price tag.

That is why I specified MI6 "00" agents - there is definitely a place for MI6 agents in vans for surveillance and assault and being killed by the bad guys minions and such. Lesser agents get stuck in vans. Bond, though, never.

(never mind the Spy Who Loved Me...)

That is why I specified MI6 "00" agents - there is definitely a place for MI6 agents in vans for surveillance and assault and being killed by the bad guys minions and such. Lesser agents get stuck in vans. Bond, though, never.

(never mind the Spy Who Loved Me...)

"Next time, you stay in the van."

And you can put a mattress in the back ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Back to the original question, I'd only stat up a car if it is important. Just any car to get you from A to B doesn't need stats. If you have combat or need to do some fancy driving then use bof standard default stats and throw it away if it gets trashed.

However, if it is a special car, if it can drive itself, shoot rockets, eject passengers, turn onto a boat or can fly then give it a character sheet and hope it is never destroyed.

As to how detailed you make it, that is up to you and the style of the campaign.

HeroQuest details the important aspects of an object and covers the rest in a keyword, which is a good way of doing this.

You might need top speed, acceleration, manouverability, handling, armour points, hit/structure points and any intelligence/skills it might have.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

And you can put a mattress in the back ...

Reminds me of guys I went to school with.

Of course once you pass a certain age, you don't need to put the mattress in the van anymore, but can rent a room.

THose who can aford new sportcars, don't need to put a mattress anywhere.

I have car sheets blanks ,not filled out , i have them already made someplace i will see if i can find them and upload a jpeg file of it. if anyone needs them aslo i have full statistc values for cars trucks ,semis,military vehicles,boats ,planes,helicopters . maybe someone can use hopefully. i will do my best to post them asap . got to go get some sleep

Back to the original question, I'd only stat up a car if it is important. Just any car to get you from A to B doesn't need stats. If you have combat or need to do some fancy driving then use bof standard default stats and throw it away if it gets trashed.

However, if it is a special car, if it can drive itself, shoot rockets, eject passengers, turn onto a boat or can fly then give it a character sheet and hope it is never destroyed.

As to how detailed you make it, that is up to you and the style of the campaign.

HeroQuest details the important aspects of an object and covers the rest in a keyword, which is a good way of doing this.

You might need top speed, acceleration, manouverability, handling, armour points, hit/structure points and any intelligence/skills it might have.

Back to the original topic: Right on track.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mummi,

Since I've been working on my Vehicle Design rules again, I was wondering if there are any partiuclar vehicles you'd like to see written up for BRP? I can probably get you a game-usable conversion of just about any car, truck or van.