Pegasus

Dirk Le Daring

I have a humble request of the community, as I am not great with converting anything.

I have noticed, to my dismay that there is no entry, reference, or mention of the noble Pegasus anywhere in the Runequest rules or the Bestiary. I may have missed something, but looked at the second edition (my starting point), and no mention there either. Does anyone know if this is intentional, or an oversight ?

Regardless, I would like to request advice on how to "make one", so that I may be able to utilise such a noble beast if and when I get to running a game. I have little idea as to what statistics would be appropriate, but think that maybe a warhorse would be a good base. Maybe, maybe a lighter horse. As for flying, I have absolutely no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

(Also, seems odd that an expansion "Pegasus Plateau" would be a thing if there is no such creature in the game)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dirk Le Daring said:

I have a humble request of the community, as I am not great with converting anything.

I have noticed, to my dismay that there is no entry, reference, or mention of the noble Pegasus anywhere in the Runequest rules or the Bestiary. I may have missed something, but looked at the second edition (my starting point), and no mention there either. Does anyone know if this is intentional, or an oversight ?

Regardless, I would like to request advice on how to "make one", so that I may be able to utilise such a noble beast if and when I get to running a game. I have little idea as to what statistics would be appropriate, but think that maybe a warhorse would be a good base. Maybe, maybe a lighter horse. As for flying, I have absolutely no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

(Also, seems odd that an expansion "Pegasus Plateau" would be a thing if there is no such creature in the game)

Winged horses are a thing in Glorantha, although the ancient form was Hippogriff. I tend to use Hippogriff and Pegasus interchangeably as a term for the Ancient Winged Horse, since we know Hippoi was originally a beaked, clawed, and winged goddess, who had her wings, claws, and beak taken away by cruel gods.

• Like 4

I'd just repurpose the hippogriff or griffin statistics, but without the bite or claw attacks obviously. I'd say they are definitely Sky Rune creatures.

Not having the bestiary in front of me, I can't remember what attacks a hippogriff has, but you could use a horse's attacks. I'd also say that Pegasi are probably intelligent in the same way griffins are, and may have spirit magic.

Edit: ah, Jeff beat me to it.

Edited by Sumath
  • Like 1

Statistics: Use the Galana Horse Bestiary  p147 (I doubt that a flying animal will be able to carry a man on horseback).

Hit location: use the Sky Bull page 124.

Movement:  I think a 12.  

Dunno if they exist for sure but you never know

Edited by metcalph
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Winged horses are a thing in Glorantha, although the ancient form was Hippogriff. I tend to use Hippogriff and Pegasus interchangeably as a term for the Ancient Winged Horse, since we know Hippoi was originally a beaked, clawed, and winged goddess, who had her wings, claws, and beak taken away by cruel gods.

Thank you very much, I will do so.

9 minutes ago, Sumath said:

I'd just repurpose the hippogriff or griffin statistics, but without the bite or claw attacks obviously. I'd say they are definitely Sky Rune creatures.

Not having the bestiary in front of me, I can't remember what attacks a hippogriff has, but you could use a horse's attacks. I'd also say that Pegasi are probably intelligent in the same way griffins are, and may have spirit magic.

Edit: ah, Jeff beat me to it.

Thank you, all good ideas / information.

9 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Statistics: Use the Galana Horse Bestiary  p147 (I doubt that a flying animal will be able to carry a man on horseback).

Thank you, again good ideas. They will exist in MY Glorantha, that seems to me to be the best part.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

I'd be tempted to use a Goldeneye as a base, and assume they're descended from Hippoi after Storm Bull ripped out her fangs/beak, and Maran Gor stole her talons, but before Zorak Zoran stole her wings.

So they're a halfway point between Hippogriffs and Horses, rarer and more skittish than either (as they still bare the fear of being wounded, and have no mortal protectors, nor as much protection from others), but occasionally breedable from sacred horses using Hippoi's rites.

As seen in Six Ages.

4 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Going by aerodynamics, musculoskeletal dynamics, and lifting capacity, this seems unlikely.

Going by mythology, it's clearly possible.

Going by aerodynamics, musculoskeletal dynamics, and lifting capacity, a flying horse is utterly impossible.

Going by mythology, a flying horse carrying a rider isn't merely possible: it's certain!

🤡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Although not RQG, the Hippogriff is covered in Anaxial's Rooster only $5 in the Vault at Chaosium

Creatures cut from the original book due to space constraints can be found at in the Well of Daliath - Not enough room in the Ark  - you can see the format too.

It's easy enough to stat them for RQG.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

Although not RQG, the Hippogriff is covered in Anaxial's Rooster only $5 in the Vault at Chaosium

Y’all got a rooster in a vault for sale for 5 bucks, owned by a gent called Anaxial... Qizilbashwoman, you still got that bridge?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 minutes ago, Crel said:

Where can I find the Hippogriff -> Horse story in a text? I've heard it before but I don't know the source, & a quick Ctrl-F of the Guide and the Sourcebook isn't finding anything.

RQG Bestiary (2019) - Horses - page 145

RQG Bestiary Preview (2018) - Horses - page 15 

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 minute ago, David Scott said:

RQG Bestiary (2019) - Horses - page 145

Oh, of course. I went and didn't see anything in the Hippogriff entry itself, and assumed there wasn't information elsewhere. Silly me.

9 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Thanks! One of these days I'll get around to playing Six Ages. It looks great.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I thought the Pegasus being in the Gateway Bestiary, but it isn't.

Hippogrif stats would work, with hoof rather than claw.

In the Real World, of course, they are the Tulpari, or Winged Horses, of Turkic/Mongol/Steppe Nomad Lore, of which Pegasus is but a single example.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Of course we're still waiting for Anaxial's Rooster to actually appear. Unless it's just a Shargashi in a big chicken suit. 😉

The venerable Nick Brooke had a story on his website about this dead emperor's cock...

I am still stuck in the story that Hippoi and Gamara are similar but separate entities, and I am willing to downgrade the ancestress of the Sered horse breed (providing this still exists...) as a carnivorous winged horse without the eagle's claws on the fore-legs or the beak (but a ferocious dentition instead).

Part of the reason is the apparent hatred between the Char-un Pure Horse people (who managed to breed a carnivorous stallion and a winged mare) and the hyal-riding Pure Horse Folk of Prax turned into Grazelanders. The Grazeland Goldeneye horses are a separate magical breed.

The other reason that I like my Hippoi not from Dara Happa story is that it makes the Horse a creature of Genert's Garden, just not welcome in the Praxian covenant. Perhaps because it stopped eating meat?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Seredae still exist, and are what the default horse stats represent. (RQ:B 148)

I'm not sure if they're still descended from those beasts that pulled Yelm's chariot however, and they're probably not the original breed of Nivorah.

Rampant Speculation time:

Much of the Dara Happan Empire's mythical unity is exaggerated. We "know" that Rinliddi was independent as the Ratite Empire before being absorbed into Murharzarm's solar one. (GtG 683), Golden Age "Saird" was likely similar, with Nivorah being its capital. It was probably another garden state, worshipping a triarty of lesser celestial gods: <INSERT NAME HERE>, Yelorna, and Yamsur; accepted as Yelm's children when the Solar Empire absorbed them. Hippoi/Gamara/Hippogriff being the herd animal goddess of their winged horses, remembered as a demoness by the Dara Happans.