A year by any other name

Monty Lovering

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

Maybe we get that in the 4th Age after the Red Moon has fallen and the White arises.

Our best economists say there will be seven runic genders, the seas will fill with a nutritious and refreshing beverage like lemonade, every tribe will contain exactly 1600 souls (all personality types perfectly balanced) leaping out of bed three hours before dawn to pick perfect cherries, the Valind Glacier will melt, etc. I believe part of it but a lot of wild stuff comes out of Zoria these days.

• Haha 4

singer sing me a given

23 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

This could/should be a thread entirely of its own. Given how *massively* important the menstrual cycle is in religious symbolism and gendered cultural/social practices, it's worth looking into/speculating about.

Come to think of it, given the magical and mythical powers of the calendar, you would imagine that menstruation would be synchronized and tied to it (at least within each culture)?

Edited by Akhôrahil

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Come to think of it, given the magical and mythical powers of the calendar, you would imagine that menstruation would be synchronized and tied to it (at least within each culture)?

then all women would menstruate at the same time and births would happen at the same time. it's kind of outside of the stuff we usually regulate in a game. ask a fertility priestess to help you catch,* or for a charm to prevent you knocking up every one you sleep with? sure. have all the Orlanthis menstruate on the same schedule? ugh maybe not.

*catch = get pregnant

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

then all women would menstruate at the same time and births would happen at the same time. it's kind of outside of the stuff we usually regulate in a game. ask a fertility priestess to help you catch,* or for a charm to prevent you knocking up every one you sleep with? sure. have all the Orlanthis menstruate on the same schedule? ugh maybe not.

*catch = get pregnant

I mean, maybe Brithini do. But Brithini cycles can be measured in the centuries in any case. 

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

2 minutes ago, Eff said:

I mean, maybe Brithini do. But Brithini cycles can be measured in the centuries in any case. 

i mean you are absolutely correct.

i didn't count the Brithini because they aren't people by most standards of what "being people" means. I mean literally they are immortals because they're hacking the universe

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

i mean you are absolutely correct.

i didn't count the Brithini because they aren't people by most standards of what "being people" means. I mean literally they are immortals because they're hacking the universe

There's a great old Glorantha Digest post, I think it was, where Brithini humor is discussed. They have weekly 15-minute humor breaks, where one of the seven approved jokes are told, and then very occasionally laughed at. One of the real kneeslappers is "Why did the chicken cross the road?" 

• Haha 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

then all women would menstruate at the same time and births would happen at the same time.

I don't believe the latter part of this would follow - even if everyone is synchronized on a monthly basis, the combination of plenty of fertile days and somewhat differing lengths of pregnancies would even it out a lot.

48 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Man, how cool would it be if Brithini had their version of Pon Farr? 🙂

Speaking of which, I wonder what the Brithini Menena do during those centuries-long stretches when there are basically no Brithini children. 

Not sure even Brithini sexism can prevent a bunch of millennia-old, possibly sorcerously powerful women from getting up to whatever they want (within the Law).

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Not sure even Brithini sexism can prevent a bunch of millennia-old, possibly sorcerously powerful women from getting up to whatever they want (within the Law).

Presumably, the Law does indeed regulate these things.

You have to wonder whether they have magical birth control, or if they are similarly restricted when it comes to sex in the first place. The latter might explain their general attitude...

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, jajagappa said:

Maybe we get that in the 4th Age after the Red Moon has fallen and the White arises.

In the old version of King of Sartar there was a ominous warning after the last part of Argrath's Saga, considering the fall of the Moon. "But now it's invisible instead!"

This has been sinisterly omitted from the new one. But it's clear now - the triumph of the Moon is that it is freed from (even immortal) presence in the world, and in the Fourth Age, becomes incorporated directly in the fabric of Time, and thus, as barbarians rudely put it, "invisible". Hence the addition of a Moon Season to the Gloranthan year, to replace the one lost during the Sunstop. You heard it here first....  

37 minutes ago, af Granskär said:

In the old version of King of Sartar there was a ominous warning after the last part of Argrath's Saga, considering the fall of the Moon. "But now it's invisible instead!"

This has been sinisterly omitted from the new one. But it's clear now - the triumph of the Moon is that it is freed from (even immortal) presence in the world, and in the Fourth Age, becomes incorporated directly in the fabric of Time, and thus, as barbarians rudely put it, "invisible". Hence the addition of a Moon Season to the Gloranthan year, to replace the one lost during the Sunstop. You heard it here first....  

This is interesting. I was convinced, that I've seen the same statement in the new version of King of Sartar, but looking into my printed version it is indeed missing ... but looking at the end of Argrath's Saga in the PDF version, it is still there:

So they say. But it’s still here!
And now it’s invisible instead!
This is what made our world today, although almost no one remembers it.
If you have read this then pass it on, and tell others about it
to make sure that you, and they, do not repeat it!

That means the printed and the PDF version of King of Sartar differ, which I didn't realise until now.

Edited by Oracle

In fact there is more. At the end of the introduction to Argrath's Saga there is a section with the title Scrawls (p.12, latest version of King of Sartar), which says:

The northern manuscript (PEC#25234) also has a crudely written scrawl at its start, and an
addition by yet a different hand at its finish. Both of those are given here, too, even though
they are not really part of any Argrath’s Saga version.

In fact, that these scrawls are given in the text is only true for the PDF version, but not for the printed version.

The second one is the one cited above already. It's at the end of p.28.

The first one is at the end of p.12 and reads:

Listen! This is the Saga of Argrath,
Lord of the Seven Directions,
High King of the World,
who was the son of a “stickpicker.”

Also missing from the new version: some markings after the Sacred King list (p. 162 of the old edition and p. 132 in the new one)

/·<Ï<

Printing error in the first one, mindless scratches made by someone hit by Illiteracy Curse, or powerful magical symbol omitted from the new version on purpose? Only reader can decide. But I find it suspicious that the "Missing Chapter" appears exactly on the spot these markings were in the first edition! 

• Like 2