'Dead Light' is back, and better - now features two unsettling encounters on the road

MOB

Dead_Light_and_Other_Dark_Turns_-_Front_Cover_-_700x900_-_PDF__19001.1575814829_500_659.png.d999b05c1b60a5f26c921d77921a6748.png

DEAD LIGHT AND OTHER DARK TURNS contains two scenarios dealing with the theme of roadside adventure, along with six story seeds for the Keeper to expand and develop.

In the classic 'Dead Light' scenario, now revised, a chance encounter with a distressed young woman leads the investigators into the hideous aftermath of a crime gone terribly wrong. While in the brand-new 'Saturnine Chalice' scenario, seeking help from a nearby homeowner after their vehicle runs out of gas traps the investigators in a house where nothing is quite what it seems.

Available in PDF now, with print to follow:

https://www.chaosium.com/dead-light-and-other-dark-turns-pdf

Also available in PDF from DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/297068/Dead-Light-and-Other-Dark-Tales

So What's New in this Version of Dead Light?

out-of-gas.png.6968fb50ca97d89d4b49cd35257504aa.png

This new edition of Dead Light features new art throughout by Magda Meiszczak, Doruk Golcu, and Caleb Cleveland, with the scenario revised and reorganized to address a few minor issues in the original (such as the reference to an NPC, Walter the Pump Jockey, who does not actually appear in the scenario). We have included five player handouts providing further insight into the plot and agendas of the characters concerned.

In addition, the book includes a new scenario, Saturnine Chalice, by Matthew Sanderson, which also takes place during a roadside stop that leads to danger and mystery. Carrying on the roadside theme of both Dead Light and Saturnine Chalice are six new adventure seeds, each with ideas for encounters on the road that Keepers can use as inspiration for short sidetracks, one night games, or to develop into full-blown scenarios.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 6

• MOB featured this topic

Lots of value here. The original Deadlight, released at the beginning of 7th, was light on art. I really like the "two short scenarios" model of RPG publishing because it is just more options/ideas in an economical package.

Edited by klecser

Since I already have the earlier edition, I don't particularly need the new one anytime soon.  On the other hand, if some sort of discount were available for a limited time, I might pick the new version up right away so I could enjoy the added and revised material.  Chaosium has many other fine products that attract my attention, so they won't be deprived of my business in any case. 

Edited by Sir Wulf

4 hours ago, Fallingtower said:

Uhm hello...this IS the GOLDEN AGE of Call of Cthulhu.
Chaosium you guys are amazing.

I fear "golden age" is being interpreted by some as "my sacred personal space," and the grumbling is a symptom of having to share said space. Regardless, the rest of us are benefiting hugely from this state of affairs and will be welcoming new players with open arms. I need to get to my FLGS and run another game in January.

• Like 1

Klecser,

I agree with you, it's a great time for CoC and for Lovecraft fans, he's got a higher profile than ever before, I'm looking forward to Lovecraft Country and the Nick Gage film, but it's just wonderful to see the rejuvenation of Chaosium and CoC published material. And I say that as someone who has loved CoC since finding the game in a San Marcos TX game-store perhaps just weeks after it was first published and has loved it ever since. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLBrown7289 said:

Klecser,

I agree with you, it's a great time for CoC and for Lovecraft fans, he's got a higher profile than ever before, I'm looking forward to Lovecraft Country and the Nick Gage film, but it's just wonderful to see the rejuvenation of Chaosium and CoC published material. And I say that as someone who has loved CoC since finding the game in a San Marcos TX game-store perhaps just weeks after it was first published and has loved it ever since. 

Oh my gosh I completely forgot that they're making a movie of Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff! That is a great read for anyone in the audience who is looking for a mashup of human and Mythos horror. *further checking* Rats, HBO exclusive. :(

Edited by klecser

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the original version of Dead Light so don't have any opinion on the previous cover art or the updates, but this certainly sounds like a very useful little collection. The games I run are often short or strung together as mini-campaigns of self-contained episodes, which makes some of the more epic scenarios tricky for me to consider using; something like this seems ideal and the reviews appear to be quite positive. 

Call of Cthulhu always worked wonderfully well with magazine scenarios (White Dwarf in particular is fondly remembered by many as a source) and this could well fill the same sort of niche.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere. I've bought this, it's super good, but it says it has 6 ready-to-use investigators on the Chaosium website, yet I cannot find them there. Where are they, please? Thank you.

Ahh nevermind, it's with the handouts PDF... d'oh.

Edited by Snugz
d'oh.
  • Like 1