Gifts & Geases

Jon Hunter

A similar question to the passions question ealrier;

Are the geases for Humatki, Yelmalio,  are they Intended as

1. definitive lists of what  does exist within the cults in game world
  2. examples of things that could exists within the cults, and is presented a limited list for sake of brevity and game play

My view they are examples of what could be, do others agree?

Also do gifts and geases exist for other cults but are less common? 
Is there a connection between the truth rune and gifts and geases?

3 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

Are the geases for Humatki, Yelmalio,  are they Intended as

1. definitive lists of what  does exist within the cults in game world
  2. examples of things that could exists within the cults, and is presented a limited list for sake of brevity and game play

RQG 296:

Humakt’s Gifts

The following shows twelve standard Humakti gifts. Others have been given by the god throughout Time, and may be given again.

Yelmalio (RQG 308–309) does not specify one way or another. I would rule that exceptional geese exist, because it is the case for Humakt (and because I find exceptional or unusual gifts & geese to be Most Fun).

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I'd have the listed Gifts/Geasa as the most common, but yeah -- they're only examples, not a comprehensive list.

I'd be careful not to allow trivial compensating Geasa, or allow too-good a Gift.

I'd mostly limit Gifts and Geasa to those deities for which the practice explicit in the rules...  "mostly," you'll note:  I wouldn't automatically just say "no" to a player with an interesting idea!

Note also that there are some implicit Gift/Geas bits floating around, too, such as Chalana Arroy's prohibition against fighting, the Orlanthi riddle-vs-Yelm, etc...

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The ones blessed by Ernalda and Imarja. 😉

10 minutes ago, Crel said:

Geese is the only acceptable plural of geas and dammit that is a hill I'm willing to die on.

7 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The geese dispute it and say they aren't bound by any such geasa!

I shall just... duck... this one!

• Haha 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

32 minutes ago, Crel said:

Geese is the only acceptable plural of geas and dammit that is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Say there, Crel ol' buddy... I'd be a bit... cautious, if I was you.  That there Hill yer on looks kind of ... Gold.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, Jon Hunter said:

definitive lists of what  does exist within the cults in game world

Yes.

These geases are what are commonly found and available in the cults.

examples of things that could exists within the cults, and is presented a limited list for sake of brevity and game play

Yes.

There are clearly more geases available, as more geases have been written up for NPCs in scenarios.

So, both are true.

All cults get the geases mentioned in the books, but some PCs or NPCs can get other geases.

For example, the hawk riders in Dykene get geases such as "Never let a hawk suffer needlessly", which is different from the standard Yelmalio geas.

Is "Never let an Elf suffer needlessly" still an available geas? I always liked that one.

Also do gifts and geases exist for other cults but are less common? 

Yes, many people get HeroQuesting geases, for other cults.

Is there a connection between the truth rune and gifts and geases?

People have mentioned this before. Thanatar has geases and is a Truth Rune Cult, for example. However, Lhankor Mhy is a Truth Rune Cult without geases, so it doesn't always apply.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, gochie said:

I think there's an argument for every cult having gifts and geases. The more you resemble your god (by denying yourself what has been mythically denied to your god), the more powers you start sharing with it. 

There is a counter-argument that is spelled E U R M A L...

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

One geas would be to break all other geases.

i did read a story, i mentioned it on these boards but I can't remember where I found it, where the Eurmali of a group was a generally strange but not cruel woman who would inexplicably do absolutely batshit things that could get her dismembered

at one point she tells another person that she awoke in her initiation to Eurmal's gifts, but discovered they come with a price: if she doesn't do something relentlessly foolish like attempting to reverse pickpocket a Chaotic charm into the purse of the leader of partying Storm Bulls about once a day, a curse lays into her far worse than the potential beating death at the hands of the Storm Bulls if they catch her

her magic was really potent but her geas was pretty heinous

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 12/21/2019 at 9:36 AM, soltakss said:

Is "Never let an Elf suffer needlessly" still an available geas? I always liked that one.

Leaving scope for personal discernment?

"Pointy-eared little b'strd. The way he spoke to that Stormbull; he deserves every second of the brutal bashing he's now getting. It'll teach him to be politer. And if he doesn't survive it'll be a lesson to the rest of his kind."

• Like 1

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

2 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Leaving scope for personal discernment?

"Pointy-eared little b'strd. The way he spoke to that Stormbull; he deserves every second of the brutal bashing he's now getting. It'll teach him to be politer. And if he doesn't survive it'll be a lesson to the rest of his kind."

I always love the inclusion of the word "needlessly" in these geases. It's a Get Out of Jail Free Card for most Adventurers.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here