Gifts & Geases

Jon Hunter

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Question: Have you ever used other geases than those on the books? If so, which ones?

Just for last session, I made some modfications to the Taboos table for an newly hatched Orlanthi Daka Fal shaman, replacing some that I didn't feel fitted. It was things like "Never speak to or help Humakti in any way", "Always fight against Undead", and so on.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, Jon Hunter said:

examples of things that could exists within the cults, and is presented a limited list for sake of brevity and game play

Other than what has already been said, I would also add that many geasa (and some gifts) will be homeland specific and relevant. As mentioned above, Hawk-riders will replace horse with hawk.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:58 AM, gochie said:

Why would Eurmal not offer gifts and geases? Hell, he would have the most fun ones! 

Must never be sober.

Never tell the truth.

Never bathe or use perfumes.

Must fall off a wall in front of on-lookers at least once per day.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, soltakss said:

However, Lhankor Mhy is a Truth Rune Cult without geases, so it doesn't always apply.

Except... all Initiates must have a beard, and they can only marry within the cult. (the latter is not much different to Yelmalio's "Never love any but Earth cult worshipers.")

Meaning - what's the difference between a geas and a cult restriction?

Edited by Shiningbrow

13 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Question: Have you ever used other geases than those on the books? If so, which ones?

Yes, I have used a lot of geases that aren't in the published cult.

Some are variants of published geases, for example "Never let a [Something] suffer needlessly", "Never eat [food]", "Cast no [Type] magic", "Always challenge [Deity] Cultists", "Never talk to [People]", and so on.

However, I have also used different geases, often gained on HeroQuests. 

Can I think of any examples? Of course I can't, sorry.

• Sad 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, jajagappa said:

And no.

Hmm...  There are 3 cults that offer gifts and geases.  They are Humakt, Yelmalio, and Thanatar, and they all have Truth Runes.

I would suggest that other cults may have gifts and geases but that they only apply to Rune Levels, but these Truth Rune cults offer some limited form of G/G to their initiates due to their truth rune affiliations, which likely have some sort of oath based power.  Honestly, who knows.

there are a lot of oaths, blessings,etc.

for me the big difference between (Humakt, Yelmalio , Thanatar) and the others is their worshippers must and have clear paths, to obtain gift/geas.

But why Ernalda will not give you the opportunity to have twins once you succeed to save Voria ? Why Yelm is not able to offer you a permanent fireblade after killing three dehori and swearing you will hunt the winter everywhere ?