Women in Glorantha

HeartQuintessence

1 hour ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So how does this effect Women in the Glorantha, in a way it's possible for Females to embrace with Water fluidity, but since Women are 'normally' Earth Rune affliated does this change the game some how? (I still like RQG's approach that everyone has 'effectively most of the runes'.

Yes? I mean when we are discussing people and runes in Glorantha, we're talking about all people, not just men. What Orlanthis call Helerings - the blue-skinned, white-haired people - are an entire people and comprise a sizable minority within many Orlanthi tribes, and they are majority Water rune. They are also not the only source of the Water rune, but they are a reason the Water rune is the third-most popular Elemental rune in Dragon Pass.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, JonL said:

It now occurs to me, that being descended from the Pentans, the Grazelanders are eligible to take the Ten Tests in Dara Happa to become Emperor. 

I think you have to be within 3 generations of an Emperor to become Emperor. So, your father, grandfather or great-grandfather must have been an emperor for you to attempt to take the 10 Tests.

The Red Emperor is son of the Red Goddess, whose Grandfather, I believe, was Aether Primolt.

Sheng Seleris was son of the Morning, presumably the Morning was a child of Theya, daughter of Yelm, so he qualified.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 minute ago, soltakss said:

I think you have to be within 3 generations of an Emperor to become Emperor. So, your father, grandfather or great-grandfather must have been an emperor for you to attempt to take the 10 Tests.

The Red Emperor is son of the Red Goddess, whose Grandfather, I believe, was Aether Primolt.

Sheng Seleris was son of the Morning, presumably the Morning was a child of Theya, daughter of Yelm, so he qualified.

Which means, probably to both side's horror, that Orlanth would qualify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

Which means, probably to both side's horror, that Orlanth would qualify.

Personally, I think that is why Yelm had to accept Orlanth's Contests, they were effectively him challenging Yelm for the right to be Emperor.

Now, Solars don't publicise this, as they don't want anyone to know. Also, Orlanthi don't publicise this, either, as they don't want anyone to think that Orlanth could have been Emperor, after all, he killed the Emperor and become King of the Gods instead.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Takenegi himself was accepted through his descent from the Red Goddess. Via Verithurus that's a direct, male lineage.

The nobility in the Empire post-Sheng is composed mostly of families who were founded or married into by children (usually daughters) of the Emperor. Any of these may have a short enough heritage to a previous mask.

But that's all irrelevant as long as the New Mask still is the same man. It is sort of irregular for the same man to undertake the Ten Tests repeatedly, however.

Did Sheng become the Dara Happan Emperor after his release from that Lunar Hell?

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 minutes ago, Joerg said:

It is sort of irregular for the same man to undertake the Ten Tests repeatedly, however.

I'm not convinced the Tests have been administered since Artifex called the recalcitrant temple's bluff. If it were me, I'd deprecate the rite right there to ensure that Raibanth knows its place. A proxy can do it if necessary . . . and as you say, why should even a god need to keep proving himself except under extraordinary circumstances? The important thing is simply demonstrating that you maintain continuity with a previous successful claimant.

This presents the ambitious and alert with many opportunities.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

2 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

But ultimately a Woman, could TAKE the tests and pass them and put the  Darra Happans in a quandry?

Yes, all the Ten Tests are effectively HeroQuests. Just need to perform them "another way". And definitely could through the Dara Happans into a quandary.

Even better if Heroquesting Lightbringers free the Sun Goddess from Hell, though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartQuintessence said:

I did look at the Ten Tests, they're horribly sexist.

But ultimately a Woman, could TAKE the tests and pass them and put the  Darra Happans in a quandry?

Of course the Ten Tests seem to be different for each Emperor. (Murharzarm has ten listed, the Dragon Sun's mentioned as undertaking tests but the ones mentioned are different, and Magnificus invites doubters to name tests for him) so their level of sexism probably depends on the climate.

Thanks to the Lunar changes, a female mask or different Emperor who was female, could presumably find the tests more suited to them.

The Dara Happans would gripe and moan, but in the end, they'd probably have to accept it until they could find a loophole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

Of course the Ten Tests seem to be different for each Emperor. (Murharzarm has ten listed, the Dragon Sun's mentioned as undertaking tests but the ones mentioned are different, and Magnificus invites doubters to name tests for him) so their level of sexism probably depends on the climate.

Thanks to the Lunar changes, a female mask or different Emperor who was female, could presumably find the tests more suited to them.

The Dara Happans would gripe and moan, but in the end, they'd probably have to accept it until they could find a loophole.

Until they could find a loophole? Wow that's impressive mental gymnastics. but I like it. I suppose Jar-eel is pretty damn close.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, all the Ten Tests are effectively HeroQuests. Just need to perform them "another way". And definitely could through the Dara Happans into a quandary.

I mean the problem is that lots of people pass the Ten Tests... and then get murdered by rivals who also did. You need to have political support. When I said "no woman qualified to be emperor" that's what I mean, not that she couldn't, like, idk, produce sperm on demand.

Solars are super misogynistic, but I bet my White Moon Rebellion would involve a new woman emperor of Dara Happa.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

I did look at the Ten Tests, they're horribly sexist.

I think you have to belong to the Yelm Cult to take the Ten Tests and Yeml is restricted to males.

Of course, if a woman took the Ten Tests and passed, then she would automatically, by default, be a member of the Yelm Cult and would be qualified to be Emperor.

That's the beauty of HeroQuesting, by completing the HeroQuest successfully you prove your place in the world.

• Like 1

I think you have to belong to the Yelm Cult to take the Ten Tests and Yeml is restricted to males.

Of course, if a woman took the Ten Tests and passed, then she would automatically, by default, be a member of the Yelm Cult and would be qualified to be Emperor.

That's the beauty of HeroQuesting, by completing the HeroQuest successfully you prove your place in the world.

Someone could absolutely hack this is I think the point.

Did/does Ralzakark pass the Ten Tests?

Or did that become obsolete with the Monster Empire?

Or are TPTB still dancing around the question of whether the Illuminated-Broo-Unicorn-Hero Monster Emperor was-or-was-not Ralzakark?  ;)

C'es ne pas un .sig

45 minutes ago, g33k said:

Did/does Ralzakark pass the Ten Tests?

Or did that become obsolete with the Monster Empire?

Or are TPTB still dancing around the question of whether the Illuminated-Broo-Unicorn-Hero Monster Emperor was-or-was-not Ralzakark?  ;)

Of course, by the point Ralzakark ascends the throne, reality is probably thin enough for it not to matter either way. He probably solves the Test of the Sharing Problem by conjuring gazzam out of his sleeves and running away before they dissolve into gorp, or something. 

• Haha 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 1/4/2020 at 1:17 PM, soltakss said:

No way is that an unbreakable rule. Jenarong proved the falsity of it, and Khordavu as well. There are likely other instances if one were to comb through the lists.

25 minutes ago, JonL said:

Jenarong proved the falsity of it, and Khordavu as well.

The actual rule is three generations within a God or another Emperor.  Khordavu was descended from Avivath, an incarnation of Antirius.  Jenarong's geanlogy is cited was being from Starlight Wanderer.  While the specific genealogy of Jenarong is probably wrong (Plentonius appears to be citing tribes as ancestors), other horse nomad Kings in that area were descended from Kargzant (Lenshi and Lendarshi mentioned in the Entekosiad).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eff said:

conjuring gazzam out of his sleeves

The prophecy!

bull.png.701dd6fa91b426e65d61817d4858040b.png

4 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So if an Emperor were to have daughters and only daughters, and those daughters were to have only daughtera until generation 4. Does the system come apart?

Many opportunities for ambitious heroquesters to put a thumb on the scales of empire!

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

13 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Magic exists, so no. Khordavu was descended from an incarnation of a god.

Sex change magic exists inside the Empire - e.g. Count Moralatap of the Anger in the West Reaches.

Telling how it is excessive verbis