Women in Glorantha

HeartQuintessence

1 hour ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So how do you all write women and women related things in your campaign?

To be honest, I don't. I have enough female players in my games that no real effort is needed to create a balanced gender game. 

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 12/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, Jane said:

The Secret History of Sun County is up there, but I don't think "What my mother's sister told me", the female viewpoint on Sun County life, ever went on line. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Would love to see that!

And the Great MOB has graced my thread.

Man this is really making me want to take a look at Glorantha a LITTLE closer.

guess i am buying more The Coming Storm and Eleven lights, and maybe that new book that just came out for runquest.

Is it too weird to want to mix HQ and RQ together?

Though now i am wondering about calling this supposed female supplimwnt "Kerchiefs and Kirtles" or maybe " Hearth and Heart "something more allterative...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Man this is really making me want to take a look at Glorantha a LITTLE closer.

guess i am buying more The Coming Storm and Eleven lights, and maybe that new book that just came out for runquest.

HQ and RQ are just rule systems. Tools to help simulate existing in Glorantha. I also use "Hordes of the Things" for battles, we've used "The Pool" in the past, there's 13th Age... All just tools. What matters is the setting, and the story.

Coming Storm is wonderful, and I still say Thunder Rebels would help you no end.

• Like 2

Waiy Kallyr Starbrow ia female?

Inthought they had been refered to as He in material.

ok well thats inyeresting.

Here's the picture of the end of Starbrow's Rebellion again:

17 hours ago, JonL said:

1873256f82a0c9973eeb73aec0ea6a6c.png

From left to right, we have Kallyr Starbrow, Hoftstaring Tree-Leaper, the Feathered Horse Queen, and Fazzur Wideread.

Edited by JonL

18 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Yeah i see that now. Which book is that from RqG?

It's in the Dragon Pass section of the Guide to Glorantha. 

From the accompanying sidebar:

"Kallyr Starbrow: This heroic Orlanthi is a king in her own right, not by marriage. She is dressed similarly to Hofstaring, but wears a decorated bronze cuirass. Kallyr does not wear a helmet, but shows off her long red hair. On her brow is tattooed a large golden eight-pointed star, giving off its own light. The tattoo holds the magic of a star and is clearly the source of her power (and name)."

Edited by JonL
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonL said:

It's in the Dragon Pass section of the Guide to Glorantha. 

From the accompanying sidebar:

"Kallyr Starbrow: This heroic Orlanthi is a king in her own right, not by marriage. She is dressed similarly to Hofstaring, but wears a decorated bronze cuirass. Kallyr does not wear a helmet, but shows off her long red hair. On her brow is tattooed a large golden eight-pointed star, giving off its own light. The tattoo holds the magic of a star and is clearly the source of her power (and name)."

And is therefore wrong. She's got a crystal embedded in her forehead.

Incidentally she is most definitely female and proud of it, and if there's any doubt at all, in the Sky Ship scenario we get to meet her son. 

Asking me in a month, I am trying my first HQ game, ever in the new year.

I do declare I swooned when that happened to moi. I don’t think he noticed... shh don’t tell him, eh,

53 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Also that in the  hulking Guide ro Glorantha... Wow thata an important peice of info.

Don't forget, each of the two volumes is large enough to use for armed personal combat. I recommend starting serious weight training  before trying to use both at the same time. (but the damage, man, the damage!).

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I do that all the time. I use HQ as a base (HQG and all HQ2 material like Sartar: KoH, Sartar Companion and Pavis: GtA) and mine RQG and my older RQ2/3 books for adventures, background, alternate views and various ideas.

I am about to start a HQG campaign based on Glorantha Classics Borderlands & Beyond.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Cult Statuses don't exactly mean the same thing in HQG than in RQG. Lay Members in HQG can have some Rune Magic (as Rune Breakout Abilities), Initiates in HQG are somehow between Initiates and Rune Priests in RQG, and Devotees in HQG are the equivalent of RQ Rune Lords. With that in mind, almost everything written for HQ2/G is systemless and can thus be used with any version of RQ.

A warning though, a lot of things have changed since RQ2 and RQ3 and it can be very confusing sometimes. If you are new to Glorantha, it could be a good idea to keep yourself to RQG and HQ2/G at first as they are fairly consistent when it comes to the setting. This is my two cents of an opinion on that matter of course.

48 minutes ago, Corvantir said:

A warning though, a lot of things have changed since RQ2 and RQ3 and it can be very confusing sometimes. If you are new to Glorantha, it could be a good idea to keep yourself to RQG and HQ2/G at first as they are fairly consistent when it comes to the setting. This is my two cents of an opinion on that matter of course

Yes, If someone stays with the RQG-Line and the few still official HQG books [Red Cow Campaign; Guide To Glorantha] the matter is quite simple and not confusing.

With RQG, Chaosium did a very good job so far, to keep Glorantha simple and straight forward. Anyone who wants to mix different RQ/Glorantha versions does it at their own risk. Be aware!

Edited by prinz.slasar

You all are making gonna spend aome money when i get home... For hokiday presents .

Also its juat Heroquest Glorantha and RQG for me.

Does Glorantha have.. A winter sokistice festival? Winter is a time of life and creation and death allnrolled into one.. It seems.

Ooh actually is there a book that talks about Prax? I always am curious about the rider culture... The feather horse queen and the pure(?) rider culture?

Edited by HeartQuintessence
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Does Glorantha have.. A winter sokistice festival? Winter is a time of life and creation and death allnrolled into one.. It seems.

The Sacred Time when many cults celebrate the weaving of the the Great Compromise and the first sunrise (and its return), the beginning of time and the remaking of the world, This falls  between winter and spring or Storm and Sea seasons....

ETA, though this is not solstice... hmmm

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

ETA, though this is not solstice... hmmm

Yeah, it's controversial. We observe both New Years in our house (one vulgar / secular and the other for deep magic) and I wouldn't be surprised if the Kralorelan calendar starts from one solstice or the other as well for MGF.

But this is the season the reindeer come knocking on the roof of all good bear cubs' dreaming and not a few of the naughty ones also. The important thing about these nights is not that we're recreating a world but simply that we're getting through it. We made it through the year, it didn't kill us, let's eat.

• Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

57 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

You all are making gonna spend aome money when i get home... For hokiday presents .

The week of the winter solstice (Illusion week of Dark season) has major canonical holy days to Ernalda and Ty Kora Tek (commemorating her death during the Gods War) and to the Seven Mothers. The winter solstice itself has a holy day for Rigsdal among Orlanthi. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

1 minute ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Well i guess the Orlanthi people are mired in their religiousity.

They are, but as Kate Bush says, we love them for that.

2 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Is there a book about Prax and its culture?

Not yet. The author is very responsive to questions though. I don't know what the Praxians do around the edges of winter. I presume it's the rainy season so they're happy but could be very very wrong.

Back on topic a listen to the carol "Seven Rejoices of Mary" gets me in a mood to consider that solstice rites are important for older women looking back while the young ladies look forward to running the rites of spring, and so the year turns. Regrets and other ghost stories. Perfect weather for the West and our god who history took from us and we just haven't figured out how to put back together again. Maybe this time.

(out of reacts but I stole one of the northern barbarian's precious thanks! ka-ching!)

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

5 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So how do you all write women and women related things in your campaign?

Circling back to this, it depends on the situation. A character's gender is central to some story roles and concepts, while to others it's incidental to the character's role in the story. In the latter cases though, it can contextualize other story/character elements in meaningful ways; e.g. Ripley in Alien could carry much the same plot as a man or a woman, but her being the latter adds a "Smart woman's ideas and opinions being unfairly discounted my men in the workplace." dimension,  making the unfolding horror even more tragic.

A helpful concept to keep in mind as a newcomer to Glorantha, is that in Theyalan cultures "All" implicitly means "mostly" or "roughly six-out-of-seven" when generalizing about groups of people. The understood context is that exceptions to the general case are  not only to be expected, but are an accepted part of social norms. 

1 minute ago, HeartQuintessence said:

wwhat god is this?

The angels sing. Some people called this god MALKION but there were a lot of names in languages that no longer really survive. This god was born on the far western edge of the world, came to Genertela, achieved great things and was martyred. The details are controversial and rarely discussed in civil company. Everyone has an opinion and a favorite part of the story. 

malkion2.thumb.jpg.4345fce6d2fb5d4d9c839d5e94723b10.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given