Book of Armies Question

Atgxtg

The Irish Wolfhounds on page 48 of Book of Armies does the following:

Irish wolfhounds sometimes accompany men into battle, being especially trained to attack and divert foes. For simplicity’s sake,
they provide a +5 bonus to the combatant after forcing the riders to make a Horsemanship roll with a -10 modifier.

Now the +5 modifier seems clear enough but the Horsemanship roll less so. Does that mean the riders don't get to fight if they fail the roll. or the dogs don't  provide the +5 if the riders make the roll or what? Anyone know?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I agree, it seems much more playable to do it like:

"The dogs force an enemy horseman roll Horsemanship-10. If they fail, then the owner of the dogs gets +5 modifier to the opposed melee roll."

That being said, I would rather make it -5 to the rider's melee skill instead. Since it is likely that the rider is a PK rather than vice versa, it is much easier to let the Player worry about the modifier than trying to recall which of the NPCs' dogs distracted their PK... Also, it makes criticals less likely (if the enemy skill is 16+), which is also something I like.

Edited by Morien

4 hours ago, Morien said:

I agree, it seems much more playable to do it like:

"The dogs force an enemy horseman roll Horsemanship-10. If they fail, then the owner of the dogs gets +5 modifier to the opposed melee roll."

That being said, I would rather make it -5 to the rider's melee skill instead.

Yeah, that seems to make more sense to me too, as the dogs should be distracting the riders and bothering their mounts, not really helping their masters.I could even see a -5 to weapon and horsemanship rolls, since I think the wolfhounds would try to pull down a rider who is unsteady in his saddle.

Since it is likely that the rider is a PK rather than vice versa, it is much easier to let the Player worry about the modifier than trying to recall which of the NPCs' dogs distracted their PK... Also, it makes criticals less likely (if the enemy skill is 16+), which is also something I like.

Not really. Most of the Irish units are foot units, so they will usually suffer the -5/+5 foots vs. horse modifier. So the +5 helps to offset that. There is only one mounted unit, two  units wielding great spears, and the "chanting, shield banging warriors"  who could get over 20.  

BTW, thanks Tizun Thane and Morien

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.