Out now in PDF: The Smoking Ruin & Other Stories

MOB

On a different spin, I found a number of key NPCs which feel like they have untold stories that are worth exploring.

One-eye and Makes Scratches of the Smoking Ruins scenario both sound like the author has background notes expanding their stories. (At least I would have plenty if I had written that scenario). But then, I am also tempted to re-write One-eye as a member of the Puppeteers who encountered her ancestor's spirit in the Smoking Ruins and returned without her troupe, which then resulted in her current dilemma.

The Company of the Manticore arrives on the setting of the second adventure as survivors of the cleansing of Lunar troops and auxiliaries in post-Dragonrise Sartar (or Heortland), and I am somewhat tempted to tell their story of scrounging up stragglers and surviving in a very hostile environment to make their way all the way to the nearest Tarshite military (if not to Furthest), and then to the location of the generous grant they received from King Pharandros. Glen Cook's Black Company stories are full of such misadventures, and this one sounds like an un-told Gloranthan epic. For additional inspiration, try to find some reports from (or fiction set in) the 80 years wars in the Netherlands or the 30 years war in the Germanies for the effects of a mercenary group taking possession of a town and/or rural environment.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Just now, Akhôrahil said:

What's the page count? Can't find it anywhere.

The last page of the index is numbered 192, the pdf adds the front and back covers for 194 pages.

With maps as double-page spreads inside, this really makes me hope for stitched binding of the book.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone with this PDF answer whether this is a broad overview of the Ruin with scenarios set inside (ie Big Rubble) or whether it is a full description including a room by room guide (ie Snake Pipe Hollow)? I mean....... i'm probably gonna get it at some point either way but I'm trying to decide between this and the Gamemaster Screen Pack for immediate purchase!

3 minutes ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Can anyone with this PDF answer whether this is a broad overview of the Ruin with scenarios set inside (ie Big Rubble) or whether it is a full description including a room by room guide (ie Snake Pipe Hollow)? I mean....... i'm probably gonna get it at some point either way but I'm trying to decide between this and the Gamemaster Screen Pack for immediate purchase!

The Smoking ruins map is the same style and degree of detail as the Clearwine map that is both in TSR and in the Gamemaster Screen Pack.

Since the scenarios in TSR build upon the Adventure Book in the Screen Pack, I would advise you to start with that. There is enough duplication of information from the Adventure Book that you can play TSR without the Screen Pack, but having both will improve the Colymar experience (especially the first scenario) greatly.

It is possible to anchor the TSR scenarios elsewhere (e.g. in Wintertop Fort) if you don't want to play in the Colymar tribe again and again. Other than the Colymar and the DInacoli tribes, little has been explored of Sartar in official publications, and not that much outside of those. Barbarian Adventures and subsequent scenarios in Sartar Rising didn't dictate your tribe, but delivered little local detail as a consequence. The sample scenarios in Hero Wars and HQ1 have hardly any localisation, either (which makes them useful for the GM, but not as a source of local detail). The renowned Lismelder campaign of the Tales crew played in another odd-ball tribe of Sartar. The Jonstown description in the upcoming Glorantha starter set will be the first official RuneQuest gaming material set in a typical part of Sartar, rather than a traditional or Wild West one.

I have little hope that we will get house-to-house level descriptions of Jonstown as per Pavis (or the Midkemia-Press city modules including Thieves World) in the official releases. But maybe there is a way to provide such via the Jonstown Compendium.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Smoking ruins map is the same style and degree of detail as the Clearwine map that is both in TSR and in the Gamemaster Screen Pack.

Since the scenarios in TSR build upon the Adventure Book in the Screen Pack, I would advise you to start with that. There is enough duplication of information from the Adventure Book that you can play TSR without the Screen Pack, but having both will improve the Colymar experience (especially the first scenario) greatly.

It is possible to anchor the TSR scenarios elsewhere (e.g. in Wintertop Fort) if you don't want to play in the Colymar tribe again and again. Other than the Colymar and the DInacoli tribes, little has been explored of Sartar in official publications, and not that much outside of those. Barbarian Adventures and subsequent scenarios in Sartar Rising didn't dictate your tribe, but delivered little local detail as a consequence. The sample scenarios in Hero Wars and HQ1 have hardly any localisation, either (which makes them useful for the GM, but not as a source of local detail). The renowned Lismelder campaign of the Tales crew played in another odd-ball tribe of Sartar. The Jonstown description in the upcoming Glorantha starter set will be the first official RuneQuest gaming material set in a typical part of Sartar, rather than a traditional or Wild West one.

I have little hope that we will get house-to-house level descriptions of Jonstown as per Pavis (or the Midkemia-Press city modules including Thieves World) in the official releases. But maybe there is a way to provide such via the Jonstown Compendium.

Wow thanks for all that detail! So both supplements go together in a   kinda mini campaign. So I will aim to get both, starting with the Screen Pack. Thanks!

Edited by goldenwheeldancer

In the third scenario in TSR, one of the leaders of other mercenary parties is Vargast Vargastson the Varmandi, leader of a small group of clan militia (of this well-known war clan).

Wait a moment, Vargast the Varmandi, wasn’t that the leader of the herdsmen in the Adventure Book? No, this Vargast the Varmandi is the son of Vargast, and about 2 points better in every stat than the leader of the herdsmen, and has a different portrait – less detail visible of the face.

If you are going to play both the scenario books, and haven’t used the cattle raid in the Adventure Book yet, I would suggest you adjust the herdsman to get at least the SIZ and INT of the militia leader, and re-introduce the herdsman (and possibly one or two of his fellow herdsfolk) ready to follow the elf’s call for mercenaries and the leadership of the characters who already showed competence against the wild beasts and other dangers threatening the tribal herd. Having recurring familiar side characters doesn’t harm a campaign.

It might be possible to play the first two scenarios in reverse order, even as sequel to the scenarios in the Adventure Book (and even if some of the characters took on new responsibilities for Apple Lane). Taking on similar responsibilities for the Long Home (possibly one or two of the other characters in the party) may place the players and a valuable resource well-positioned not just for the Smoking Ruins scenario and mopping up all the plot hooks in there (while still playing into the Colymar tribal politics), but will also position at least some of the player characters in an ideal position for Argrath's future ambitions to become King of Dragon Pass by marrying the (next) FHQ.

Speaking of Feathered Horse Queens - according to the Sourcebook (p.18), the FHQ Vistera dies in 1625 (presumably as a guest of the Lunar Temple dedication rite). The FHQ list in King of Sartar (p.195 in the pdf) tells us

The next queen was “With Bitter Heart,” for she sent her own son to avenge the tribe upon a vile foe. She helped him to become warped, in shadow, and then deserted him when his task was done. She encouraged war bands, and was the first to send vendref clans away, in migration. She fought against her own sister, but was betrayed by the worm within herself. When Jandetin the Avenger danced, she was slain when it ate itself out of her womb. She was alone, without prayer or weeping of the people, yet the Goldeneye came for her.

Avenge the tribe on a vile foe... Was she involved in the attack on King Broyan? Even though Harrek stole the spotlight of the Battle of Pennel Ford, it was Broyan who master-minded that battle, and the shattering defeat suffered by the Grazer mercenaries (and the death of Vistera's sister Mirina akaFHQ #6 Single Matron Woman).

She fought against her own sister - as the youngest (and last) surviving of the three daughters of FHQ #4 Sorana aka  “Splendid Among the Proud.”

(Either the list of the FHQs in KoS or the Sourcebook makes a gaffe here... if FHQ #6 was the middle Sister, and she never married, then how could she have married a king?)

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joerg said:

In the third scenario in TSR, one of the leaders of other mercenary parties is Vargast Vargastson the Varmandi, leader of a small group of clan militia (of this well-known war clan).

Wait a moment, Vargast the Varmandi, wasn’t that the leader of the herdsmen in the Adventure Book? No, this Vargast the Varmandi is the son of Vargast, and about 2 points better in every stat than the leader of the herdsmen, and has a different portrait – less detail visible of the face.

If you are going to play both the scenario books, and haven’t used the cattle raid in the Adventure Book yet, I would suggest you adjust the herdsman to get at least the SIZ and INT of the militia leader, and re-introduce the herdsman (and possibly one or two of his fellow herdsfolk) ready to follow the elf’s call for mercenaries and the leadership of the characters who already showed competence against the wild beasts and other dangers threatening the tribal herd. Having recurring familiar side characters doesn’t harm a campaign.

But the likeliness of the names of these NPCs and the fact that they are the same age, etc. but are nevertheless two different persons, can also be made into a good red herring / sidequest for a campaign. 

Edited by AndreJarosch

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

The last page of the index is numbered 192, the pdf adds the front and back covers for 194 pages.

With maps as double-page spreads inside, this really makes me hope for stitched binding of the book.

Joerg,

When's the last time we didn't have stitched binding for one of our books like this? All our books for the last several years, if they are 128 pages or more, have a stitched binding.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

20 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

What's the page count? Can't find it anywhere.

https://www.chaosium.com/the-smoking-ruin-other-stories-pdf/ please look under "Other Details". The page count is 192 pages.

We try to include the page count for all our products.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Bryon1187 said:

What exactly do Coordination 5, Vigor 3, and Slow 6 mean?

Yeah that's weird. Those Spirit Magic spells are not variable-cost spells, so I'm not sure what that means. The only explanation I can think of is that they're pre-boosted. So Slow 6 is a Slow spell that comes boosted with 5 MP, for casting it on enemies that might have magical defenses.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

19 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Yeah that's weird. Those Spirit Magic spells are not variable-cost spells, so I'm not sure what that means. The only explanation I can think of is that they're pre-boosted. So Slow 6 is a Slow spell that comes boosted with 5 MP, for casting it on enemies that might have magical defenses.

Not so weird, someone was thinking previous incarnations of RQ where these are variable. My guess anyway.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

17 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Not so weird, someone was thinking previous incarnations of RQ where these are variable. My guess anyway.

Clearly, "someone" needs to be consulting the current RQG rules a lot more often, instead of relying on decades of knowledge about prior editions!

<raises hand>  I know that I certainly do!!! 

Crosschecking the RQG vs RQClassic books to remind myself of the differences has not only helped me overcome some blind spots (I'm sure there are more!) but also reminded me -- when I couldn't find the rules at all! -- that there were quite a few HR's we used; were weren't as close to RAW-RQ2 as I had recalled us being!

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 minutes ago, g33k said:

Crosschecking the RQG vs RQClassic books to remind myself of the differences has not only helped me overcome some blind spots (I'm sure there are more!) but also reminded me -- when I couldn't find the rules at all! -- that there were quite a few HR's we used; were weren't as close to RAW-RQ2 as I had recalled us being!

The reason I started the Topic, What the heck... Check that out!  Which I think was totally underutilized, considering!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

56 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

I can see boosting for the Slow spell - hadn't thought of that, but  that wouldn't really apply to the others.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, Joerg said:

We are doing a fairly detailed version of Jonstown for an upcoming product, right in line after The Pegasus Plateau, but it is not a house-by-house level treatment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, Bryon1187 said:

I can see boosting for the Slow spell - hadn't thought of that, but  that wouldn't really apply to the others.

They were a case of the writer not being up-to-date with the new edition. Fixed in a new version of the book that'll be updated publicly soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 1/9/2020 at 10:09 PM, Bryon1187 said:

Questions about Vamargic's Eye Necklace spells (pg 95).  What exactly do Coordination 5, Vigor 3, and Slow 6 mean?

The editors need a checkpoint for this kind of thing - it's even in the rule-book (check out what Rune Magic spirit cults provide, stuff like "Extension 1" and so on).

On 12/26/2019 at 12:01 AM, Joerg said:

It's a common name. See Sartarite Names on page 103 of the core book.

Thinking they're the same person is like assuming two Jonathans you meet are the same guy.