Smoking Ruin - tribal edit thread

MOB

For consistency within the book:

Page 17

Krola Sien

Rune Spells: All common Rune spells, plus Leap (1 pt.), Mist Cloud (1 pt.), Summon Air Elemental (small or medium) (1- 2 pts.), Wind Warp (1 pt.).

Page 17 / Page 20 / Page 23 / Page 26  / Page 26 / Page 32 / Page 33 

Dera Zarka / Corsa the Lean / Scholar Wyrm / Keronorl / Leana the Elurae / Typical Incarnation of King Ironhoof / Hadra Fleetmane

Rune Spells: All common Rune spells,

-- Unless there is a need to change the emphasis and use "knowledge", in which case what are you trying to say?

Page 20 

Corsa the Lean

Rune Spells: ...Mist Cloud (1 pt.), Shield 2

4 hours ago, jongjom said:

Good suggestion.  A printable PDF version that's functional rather than for its look might be well received? May be worth asking if you haven't already.

I recall RQ3 had separate booklet for stats for some supplements, even RGQ has it with the Pre-Gen characters in the box set. 

Hear hear! Eh I was GMing Borderland (I think) I found this being so frakking useful that I started doing that everthereafter in all games I GMing, I must have produced dozens of booklets with stats over the years, and you can often reuse them in a pinch. Pre PDF I either xeroxed and glued them together or typed them in to hypercard stacks. Ahhh ... those was the days.

Stat blocks in the texts I hardly read any more, they are just annoying. Sometimes I even make booklets with such stuff removed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I posted on the fb RQ page..

I'm loving the Smoking Ruin adventure, but either I'm getting very confused, or the player map (p58 and Handouts) is not the map described in the text...

P84: "There is a key to Scratches’ symbols on the map, as Hastur explains it to the adventurers."

P73: "The ‘reddish’ splotches on the sketch are general
indications where Makes Scratches sensed or
encountered spirits, and the gamemaster can use
them if spirit encounters are desired to link the map
to what the adventurers encounter. The specific
encounter areas called out are Location A, Location
B, and Vamargic’s Lair (Location C) and the ruins of
the original settlement (Location D)."

Also P73: "The only clue concerning that location would
be the ‘scratched’ version of the Air Rune on Make
Scratches’ original map."

Um... I can see no symbols, key, runes, or ‘reddish’ splotches on the map whatsoever. There are some green splotches, but these don't map to the locations mentioned...Am I just being dim or missing something?

I also find the description how how the PCs ascend the slope to the Smoking Ruins utterly baffling :).

• Like 2

Looked through the whole thread, as I'm about to GM the Smoking Ruins scenario, and I'm surprised nobody noticed a problem that actually should affect the plot. Supposedly, the Smoking Ruins run's objective is to get Daravala something impressive for the Ernalda High Holy Day in Sea Season. Problem! Ernalda's High Holy Day *is not* in Sea Season! It's in Earth Season. Just a seasonal holy day, rather less to get excited about.

• Like 1

P6 "Hostilities increased, and the humans were just as eager to do each in other"

Should be "Hostilities increased, and the humans were just as eager to do each other in"

P5 "...and stood watch over the Dragon's Nest"; P6 "...intent upon destroying the primordial Dragons Nest" - inconsistent, or referring to different locations?

P6 "Dagori Inkarth in Shadow's Dance" - I thought it was "Shadows Dance" without apostrophe, as in "Where the shadows dance".

Edited by PhilHibbs

P12 "Its base is so narrow the mountains appear to be a needle" -should be "mountain" or "to be needles".

Not a correction but a clarification- where does the Old Road go north of the Dragon Pass? Description says "to Solthon Valley" but it is not shown as such on the map.

• 2 weeks later...

This is somewhat more of a Glorantha than a Smoking Ruins edit question, but has everyone noticed that the account of how the ruins got smokin' is totally different in Smoking Ruins than in the Glorantha Sourcebook? If GS was right, that would knock the whole run into a cocked hat. IMHO, the explanation is simple. The story in the Glorantha Sourcebook comes out of Lhankor Mhy researchers talking to trolls, so it's the troll version. The version in the Sourcebook, which makes trolls look vastly better than the true story in Smoking Ruins, is what the trolls prefer to believe, or at least to tell anyone who asks. The Dragonewts know better but are uninformative to humans, and the Beastmen, not big on history, have a more story in their tribal traditions, but that is just legends not to be taken seriously by real scholars.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Grievous said:

Daravala is also listed as second cousin to of Erenava (p. 57), but this doesn't work out either...

The GM Screen Pack p. 21 shows Beneva Chan (Asrelia) having five children with King Kallai (dead). Two of them are the sisters Ereneva (high priestess of Ernalda) and Erannina Chan (Babeester Gor).

It also shows Queen Leika is their 2nd cousin.

The Smoking Ruins p. 44 now says that Ereneva is Beneva's and Kallai's neice (sic!). I chose to ignore this change.

TSR p. 43 says that Daravala Chan is the niece of Ereneva (and so, of Erannina). But she's not on the family tree in the GM Screen Pack, and as others have pointed out there is the question of their ages. I chose to interpret this as "niece of Beneva Chan". So: Beneva had a sibling who is/was the parent of Daravala.

This makes Daravala the (first) cousin of Ereneva (and Erannina), which fits the story.

Leika is related to Ereneva and Erannina (through Kallai), but not to Daravala. That's why Ereneva was appointed High priestess, and not Daravala.

Edit: and one sister of Beneva is... Hareva the Weaver! Is she the mother of Daravala? Of course she is!

Edited by Puckohue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckohue said:

The GM Screen Pack p. 21 shows Beneva Chan (Asrelia) having five children with King Kallai (dead). Two of them are the sisters Ereneva (high priestess of Ernalda) and Erannina Chan (Babeester Gor).

It also shows Queen Leika is their 2nd cousin.

The Smoking Ruins p. 44 now says that Ereneva is Beneva's and Kallai's neice (sic!). I chose to ignore this change.

TSR p. 43 says that Daravala Chan is the niece of Ereneva (and so, of Erannina). But she's not on the family tree in the GM Screen Pack, and as others have pointed out there is the question of their ages. I chose to interpret this as "niece of Beneva Chan". So: Beneva had a sibling who is/was the parent of Daravala.

This makes Daravala the (first) cousin of Ereneva (and Erannina), which fits the story.

Leika is related to Ereneva and Erannina (through Kallai), but not to Daravala. That's why Ereneva was appointed High priestess, and not Daravala.

Edit: and one sister of Beneva is... Hareva the Weaver! Is she the mother of Daravala? Of course she is!

Whoooh, and yeah, that family tree in the GM Screen Pack is also out of funk with Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes. I'm not sure which way the wind blows, but I'd appreciate if this bloodline could be nailed down somewhat definitely. I know I perhaps put a lot more emphasis on family trees than most folks running games in the setting, but for me families are the root of many, many plots, and since I also focus on politics a lot, the families of those in powerful cliques are especially relevant.

Edited by Grievous

58 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

what is the sourcebook version?

Sourcebook p.11 has a shorter version (identical to that of Troll Pak Uz Lore, p.28 in the RQ2 edition) of what TSR offers on p.7f

The detail about the Ralian dragonewts comes from King of Sartar (p.89 in the hardcover edition/pdf), and possibly elsewhere.

What TSR did was to add another secret layer to that story in the "For the Gamemaster's Eyes Only" section on p.39.

The title of that section already tells you that that content is spoilers. Read at your own peril.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Page 92 calls for a Luck roll. Is there such a thing in RQG?

Page 93: "She heads east to Queen’s Post" should be west.

Also: not sure if anyone's already mentioned this, but there's a lot of talk about three ways to reach the plateau: west, east, and waterfall. But the map shows both east and west being west of the waterfall.

Edited by Puckohue
  • Like 1

• MOB locked this topic
  • 1 year later...