Scientist Experience Package

4Acrossisemu

3 hours ago, 4Acrossisemu said:

Saying that, how about i lower it to 40? would that appease you some? 

50 is the new 40 -- people are generally aging much better these days.  So, yeah, all those old fogeys in the movies were probably, like, 45 or something.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, seneschal said:

RPG character packages have nothing to do with your petty real-world experiences of ... anything, really.   Otherwise we'd end up playing Walmart the RPG. 

Speak for yourself.  With all due respect to your job at Walmart, some of us get up a little more in life and might translate into RPG characters just fine.  Also, Ash Williams, Army of Darkness!  "Shop smart -- shop S-Mart."

5 hours ago, klecser said:

Are you a scientist?

With all due respect, from one scientist to another, pulling rank like that is a little condescending.  They're clearly portraying old media tropes of scientists.  That said, their portrayal is more appropriate to Pulp Cthulhu and perhaps less so to a more realistic or more contemporary CoC campaign; I took exception to the age requirement, too.  He got you on the Transferable Skill Benefit, though, which was immediately where my thoughts went.

Enjoix!

!i!

• Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 6:22 AM, 4Acrossisemu said:

There has be some discontent with creating scientists with the starting rates of 01% in science within my groups. So to combat this a bit i've come up with a Scientist Experience Package to appease them as a house rule, and i wondered what others thought about it. Or if anyone has thoughts on playing scientists in general. 

• Must start over 50 years old
  • Must start as a non-believer, and must pass a INT roll as well to change their staunch view or remain a non-believer even in the face of the truth
  • Gains 70 bonus skill points in the any of follow skills: Science (any two), Library Use
  • Note: Cannot spend skill points on occult from the start.

This is perhaps a bit of a stereotype.  

-Age...  Most physicists do their best work in their 20s.  Most labs are filled with youngsters in lab coats, many of whom are very enthusiastic and skilled.

-Must be a non-believer...   While very few scientists would be creationists, they come in all flavors, and alway have.  

-Skill bonuses.  This seems fine.  I might suggest that Mathematics is all but compulsory as one of the 2 sciences however.

-Cannot spend points in occult...  What about scientists who are freemasons?  Or who pursue fringe disciplined like parapsychology as a hobby? Or folk like Jack Parsons who was a rocket scientist and a Crowley devotee?  Or Isaac Newton who was an alchemist?  or Srinivasa Ramanujan who was an eminent mathematician and a devout Hindu?

I am not saying that you can't play a stuffy old atheist scientist, but to suggest that this is the default is unfair.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darius West said:

-Age...  Most physicists do their best work in their 20s.  Most labs are filled with youngsters in lab coats, many of whom are very enthusiastic and skilled.

-Must be a non-believer...   While very few scientists would be creationists, they come in all flavors, and alway have.  

-Skill bonuses.  This seems fine.  I might suggest that Mathematics is all but compulsory as one of the 2 sciences however.

-Cannot spend points in occult...  What about scientists who are freemasons?  Or who pursue fringe disciplined like parapsychology as a hobby? Or folk like Jack Parsons who was a rocket scientist and a Crowley devotee?  Or Isaac Newton who was an alchemist?  or Srinivasa Ramanujan who was an eminent mathematician and a devout Hindu?

I am not saying that you can't play a stuffy old atheist scientist, but to suggest that this is the default is unfair.

A devout Hindu is not an occultist. They may be that as well, but it is not the same thing. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Darius West said:

I thought by non-believer he meant a non-believer in the Cthulhu Mythos...

-Voice of the Legion