"He knows the secret ritual to create the Sky Terror" [Resolved]

Akhôrahil

This is in Ralzakark's stat block in D:LoD. We also see Ralzakark associated with the Sky Tyrant in the Guide.

But what does it mean to "create" the Sky Terror? Doesn't it already exist? Does this just refer to summoning it? But then why phrase it that way? Perhaps it doesn't currently exist? Can Ralzakark re-create it if destroyed? Just what will happen when it's created? So many mysteries...

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

We got some of the info on that in the Forgotten Secrets of Glorantha seminar and transcript. (Which also has a nice picture)

The Sky Terror is a monstrous thing that can only really exist in areas of high ambient Chaos, and when there's not enough, it tends to fall apart into what's known as a Chaos Gaggle.

Its body is Zeech the Slithering Whale; its limbs are Brindithums; Urgan the Slime Snake forms its spine, head, and tail; its wings are Bastok, while red gorp hold the whole thing together.

So Ralzakark knows the ritual to complete a Chaos Gaggle and reform them into a Sky Terror.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hey, cool!

Pages 34-36.

And we get a description of Tyram as well!

"Tyram the Sky Horror? That is a different Sky Terror, yes.
When Tyram manifests, it’s more of an East Isles’ Chaos god. When
Tyram manifests, what happens is that the sun becomes the pupil of
a giant eye that fills the whole sky. That’s Tyram. The sky is one huge
eye seeing you all the time, knowing everything, knowing all the se-
crets, governing everything. It’s the worst."

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

Tyram is the sky horror, not a sky terror.  It's a bit confusing as they refernce both monikers in your quote.  Tyram is a chaos God.  A Sky Terror is the most horrible of chaos creatures.  Not all Chaos Gaggles are composed of the same Sky Terror.  If you can bring back the original whale, goat, etc of a particular sky terror, you can reassemble it.  During the Great Darkness the sky used to be full of Sky Terrors.  So while Razalkark knows the secret - find the original parts for each individual Sky Terror in order to reassemble them - it isn't always all that easy. 

I may be recalling incorrectly since it's been a while since I bought and read Forgotten Secrets, but I think a weak-sauce Sky Terror can be created by Razalkark using pieces of different Sky Terrors, but my memory isn't certain on that.

4 minutes ago, Pentallion said:

I think a weak-sauce Sky Terror can be created by Razalkark using pieces of different Sky Terrors, but my memory isn't certain on that.

If by "weaksauce" we mean "much-larger-than-the Crimson-Bat, almost-True-Dragon-power, superhero-level problem".

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Hey, cool!

Pages 34-36.

And we get a description of Tyram as well!

"Tyram the Sky Horror? That is a different Sky Terror, yes.
When Tyram manifests, it’s more of an East Isles’ Chaos god. When
Tyram manifests, what happens is that the sun becomes the pupil of
a giant eye that fills the whole sky. That’s Tyram. The sky is one huge
eye seeing you all the time, knowing everything, knowing all the se-
crets, governing everything. It’s the worst."

Tyrant, yes, that's the correct word, except to assemble on of those you need five different pieces.  Canada, USA, Australia, NATO and Great Britain.

• Like 1

Tyram the Sky Tyrant/Terror/Horror is the one major Chaos foe that Orlanth actually won against. Think about it: Orlanth defended the lower sky against the Chaos invasion.

Telling how it is excessive verbis