Thinking of Uz over dinner.

Rob Darvall

38 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Somehow?

its awful friggin cold in Valind’s Glacier where I assume the Polar Bears to live. Especially if all yer wearing is the blood dressed head of a bear, you take whats ya can get up here...

In order to wear a polar bear, uzhim you eat all of the drippy stuff that you don't want to lug about. If you leave the pelt on the cap, you can wrap it around you, creating a cosy blanket.

Since polar bears are hard to find nowadays, most uzhim make do with baby seals for that nice white fur cover. Requires a little more sewing, but works just fine.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And, I thought you were such a nice person :)

What, makes you say that, just outa curiosity and actually wishing to hear this one out, curious minds and all. I would not think that Ernalda would mind if her worshippers were evil or trolls for that matter, as long as they worshipped her faithfully. but I have no idea really. But that’s my opinion, what’s yours? (love the Minion 1stClass name, fan of Despicable me, or?).

Cheers

Well, you never talked to my husband if you thought I was nice! 😛

My thinking is that Ernalda is a wife/mother to one tribe and the trolls are not in it for the most part. Let Kygor Litor see to her own family like a good mother should. If the troll is an Ernaldan or Orlanthi, sure, but just her husband asking? Don't see it. Unless it was a one time favor for a daughter or wife. She might do it then. But, I also feel like she'd be wary of stepping on KL's toes. It's like moms in the same neighborhood. Maybe you think the lady across the street is too strict and occasionally sneak the kid a cookie on the sly, but you don't walk over there with a plate of cookies with the kids name on it.

As for the name, never seen the movie. I am an old internet person and a long, long time ago I was accused in certain areas of being nothing but a minion for someone so I adopted the name. And then was promoted to 1st class. :D Because, weird old internet!

4 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Hey there, did she ever wonder if some/all humans are just really fancy trollkin that breed true and forgot their proud roots? Just wondering.

Oh, that's kind of tame! No, she feels like trolls in general are failing their mother because they treat some of their children so poorly. Instead of honoring Trollkin as KL doing her best to keep the race going they look down on them and call them a curse. She sees no reason why all Trollkin should not be given a chance to live up to their full potential. Sometimes, that IS only food, but she's seen (in her mind) Trollkin humans be given a chance and do great things. If the humans do this, why aren't the uz? Dark trolls are already not as great as Mistress Race. Are they looking down on Trollkin because it lets them feel superior when deep down they know they are not as good? And, then there's the whole, we left the council and they made the progenitor of the curse anyway and maybe we should have eaten them all before it happened. Was leaving the best idea? Did we bring it on ourselves? Not that she wouldn't love to bash Gbaji! But, left with lesser beings to bring him about, what did we expect?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Inactive account.

16 minutes ago, Minion1stClass said:

No, she feels like trolls in general are failing their mother because they treat some of their children so poorly.

Truly, the numbers of trollkin are astounding, but refusing to train them properly seems foolish as they can be more than a match for the uz' enemies. And already we're seeing rebellious factions appear hostile to the Mothers! We can't afford that.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

Failure to keep the trollkin under the thumb of the Hellmother will lead to uppity individuals who may imagine themselves as the equal to trolls. Look at Neep Troll-Killer, or those of his spawn who are available as supporting mercenaries to a certain bunch of cave dwellers. (The feet on the other hands are a well-behaved trollkin, obedient to their mistress.)

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Failure to keep the trollkin under the thumb of the Hellmother will lead to uppity individuals who may imagine themselves as the equal to trolls. Look at Neep Troll-Killer, or those of his spawn who are available as supporting mercenaries to a certain bunch of cave dwellers. (The feet on the other hands are a well-behaved trollkin, obedient to their mistress.)

who do you think Neep Troll-Killer's folk worship, and also do they buy their goggles and parasols from Argan Argar?

this is my favorite part of trolls in Glorantha

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

On 12/31/2019 at 10:58 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

Truly, the numbers of trollkin are astounding, but refusing to train them properly seems foolish as they can be more than a match for the uz' enemies. And already we're seeing rebellious factions appear hostile to the Mothers! We can't afford that.

Sadly, the vast majority of trollkin are neigh-untrainable. Their brains are generally as weak and malformed as their poor scrawny bodies - unable to follow even the simplest instructions. And yet, they maintain enough Uz heritage to be able to eat pretty much anything you give them, so keeping them equipped to any reasonable standard can be a challenge, even for the relatively competent ones.  Reliably training groups of them which end of a pointy stick to point at an enemy is one of the Great Cult Secrets of Argan Argar.

Bless Pregnancy could help a litter of trollkin be the best wee batch of twisted little runts that they are capable of being - but can't overcome their fundamental brokenness. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, boztakang said:

Reliably training groups of them which end of a pointy stick to point at an enemy is one of the Great Cult Secrets of Argan Argar.

i bet xiola umbar helps, although she's likely to cull the weak in order to favor the stronger (uz healing deities are hardcore)

35 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

i bet xiola umbar helps, although she's likely to cull the weak in order to favor the stronger (uz healing deities are hardcore)

Argan Argar actually, he is the god that trollkin turn to when learning martial skills. Especially the spear.

cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Argan Argar actually, he is the god that trollkin turn to when learning martial skills. Especially the spear.

cheers

no i meant xiola umbarites might be the only uz likely to help when argan argarites train them. as x-u is the only other uz deity that actively aids enlo. except she's an uz deity of healing, which means she believes really strongly in the concept of triage

i wasn't disagreeing with @boztakang i was just saying "i bet a healing deity is helpful, except her priestesses likely cut up the weaker enlo as snacks for the rest"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

i wasn't disagreeing with @boztakang i was just saying "i bet a healing deity is helpful, except her priestesses likely cut up the weaker enlo as snacks for the rest"

Ahh, thanks for the clarification Mind you if I had read a little closer, the clarification would not hav been needed.

Cheers

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

8 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

no i meant xiola umbarites might be the only uz likely to help when argan argarites train them. as x-u is the only other uz deity that actively aids enlo. except she's an uz deity of healing, which means she believes really strongly in the concept of triage

Well, waste not want not, ya know?

• Like 1

In general, Xiola Umbar is going to be the goddess of the untrainable, "useless", enlo. She protects the weak, eases suffering, and cares for the crippled. All of which is a major point of contention between her and more traditional Kyger Litor priestesses who would be all for aggressive (culinary) culling. Not that Xiola Umbar is in any way squeamish about humanely putting down those that cannot be saved - keeping them alive would be cruel, after all. Her particular Hardcore aspect is measured in her ability to successfully protect "useless" weaklings from their more vicious kin who WOULD happily snack on them given any excuse - and are often VERY angry at anyone getting between them and a potential meal.

The Argan Argar cult is more than capable of teaching one or two points of Healing spirit magic or the First Aid skill to trollkin militia recruits able to learn it. More serious injuries probably result in demotion to "food" status - unless the victim somehow manages to find their way to a XU sanctuary first 🙂

XU is there for trainees that wash out of the program... The successful and "competent" ones won't need her.

• Like 1