Nochet supplement

Mark Mohrfield

21 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Are houses and clans synonymous in Nochet? Is there a form of tribal organization as well?

Yes, you can largely think of houses and clans as the same not only in Nochet, but in Esrolia.

There's not really a "tribal" structure. Client houses have relationships largely to a given Enfranchised/Noble House (there are some 200 of those in Esrolia) which dominate the cities and control land (and therefore receive tribute and labor by houses/clans on that land). Gets more complicated so you can start to imagine a web of relationships based on tribute, service, protection, and conflicting Loyalties. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Male: Arran, Barntaros, Duros, Esrolakar, Fethel, Harkhor, Hendrestos, Irillor, Jarstakos, Kesten, Lyksatos, Nolianor, Monro, Orstanor, Sestar.

Many thanks, Grandmother, now i can keep my background consistent -  Sten isn't too far from Kesten so i think i''ll keep that character name -

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling

1 hour ago, prinz.slasar said:

Which older publications regarding Nochet&Esrolia will the new Nochet sourcebook supersede and put to final rest?

There are really only two older publications relevant to Nochet & Esrolia. The first is the Holy Country article from RQ Companion. That was already superseded by the Guide, and the Guide is a foundational document to any new work.  The other is the Stafford Library Esrolia book.  As that is largely a mythic-historical work vs. an RQG sourcebook/scenario book, there will likely be parts superseded, but not the whole.  The intent is to get you playing in Nochet and there is no predecessor for that. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

If you look over carefully, you'll find all the Nochet enfranchised houses (there are 20) on the Nochet map here: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/to-sort-categorise/nochet-city-of-queens/

But to save your eyesight, this is the list of them.

What's the significance of the colors on that table? Seems to refer to type, but Post Dawn differs from that..

18 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

Which older publications regarding Nochet&Esrolia will the new Nochet sourcebook supersede and put to final rest?

The Holy Country article in the RQ Companion is still really cool. It's not like the map was redrawn. The Guide to Glorantha and the Esrolia: Land of 10K Goddesses books were written by both Jeff and Greg so I don't expect them to be "superseded". Of course, as we continue exploring and documenting Glorantha lots of little things get tweaked along the way.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

12 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

This does make me wonder if new houses form and fall with some regularity... Young women knowing that in time theyll be Grand mothers but also acknowledge that they will have to be different. You can only go so far working the same hide of land.

Yep. If your Grandmother dies before the next generation is ready to take over, or you've mismanaged your household and now are in deep debt and have to take on more obligations, or you don't pay up your protection money, …  Welcome to life in Nochet! (and Esrolia in general)

12 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

What gets a house Enfranchised?

Generally proving you were part of the Nochet Compact (i.e. your ancestor was part of the Godtime event when the noble houses were first established). Or, your ancestor was part of a cadet branch of an Enfranchised House and proved worthy to become a new house (i.e. your ancestor quested in some fashion to bring some important treasure back, and proved she couldn't/wouldn't be "dislodged" from her noble status).  These are Ernalda/Asrelia "power" quests.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Grievous said:

What's the significance of the colors on that table? Seems to refer to type, but Post Dawn differs from that..

Yes, refers to their "type" - which identified whether they were among the 5 Great Houses of Nochet, among either type of other Pre-Dawn House (i.e. at the Nochet Compact, but their path to survival through the Great Darkness varied), or among the Post-Dawn Houses. The intent I had with the last three was to leave them largely undefined so that a GM could use them in whatever fashion they felt relevant (i.e. not included explicitly in scenarios, background, etc. other than their location on the map and whatever text exists on them from the Esrolia book, which is all "deep" background).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, refers to their "type" - which identified whether they were among the 5 Great Houses of Nochet, among either type of other Pre-Dawn House (i.e. at the Nochet Compact, but their path to survival through the Great Darkness varied), or among the Post-Dawn Houses. The intent I had with the last three was to leave them largely undefined so that a GM could use them in whatever fashion they felt relevant (i.e. not included explicitly in scenarios, background, etc. other than their location on the map and whatever text exists on them from the Esrolia book, which is all "deep" background).

Ah right, that makes sense, thanks!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Caras said:

What does it mean that House Hulta is a Sleeper?

That they went to sleep through the Great Darkness (i.e. they stayed at Nochet, and did not flee to the Shadow Plateau, but were in a magically protected state).  A Seed for the future, if you will.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Caras said:

What does it mean that House Hulta is a Sleeper?

I'll add that this largely comes from the Esrolia book p.25:

First, "The poem says:
Twenty to chaos, gone forever;
Twenty to Death, the eternal Griefs;
Ten to Darkness, gone below;
Three to Evil, best left gone.
Eighteen sleeping, resting, hiding.
Survivors: thrice nine families for the Dawn."

Second, "At the end of the Silver Age some of the Grandmothers of Grief returned. People thought they were dead, destroyed or disappeared but they turned out to have only been sleeping.... Urvana found Gelstarn, the Beloved; and Demarath found Serumtha, the Lover. The  pair had been sleeping, but once awakened these Grandmothers brought the two together again. They returned to their people, and they taught to them the rites of Awakening. When they performed these ceremonies the Eighteen Awakened Powers returned to the people. “The Great Grandmother took us to her womb,” they said, “in the warmth and comfort of safety. We saw Imarja there, and now we  remember what we had lost. We slept and have come home now to bring to you the blessings of old.”  They brought seed and stock for food and goods, and their contributions were the main reason that Esrolia was relatively healthy when the sun rose once again."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...