To be clear about Clearwine

buckwheats

The (wonderful) adventure booklet to the GM-Screen introduces some NPCs in Clearwine; to be specific Queen Leika of the Colymar and some other important citizens of Clearwine.

My first question is, are those other NPCs the inner ring of the Colymar Tribe?

Couldn’t or shouldn’t Ernaldori-chief Baranthos’ inner ring overlap with that of Queen Beti?

What about Hareva Weaver (proprietor of the Ram’s Head in Clearwine)? Is she a counsellor to the Queen or to the chief or to whomever? Does “counsellor” mean she’s a member of the inner or outer ring somewhere?

I know, that I could answer those questions myself (all my creations are in a folder on my PC labelled “my glorantha varies”), but I was wondering, what the consensus about that would be.

Thanks again.

I am inclined to think that the NPCs besides Leika do make up the Colymar tribal inner ring, and that they do have some overlap with the Ernaldori ring, though this overlap is limited to only those who are part of the Ernaldori, so Hastur, Dunorl, Ereneva, and Erannina. This isn't a problem, if anything it's intentional. The Ernaldori were the royal clan of the Colymar before that bloodline was ended and continue to be among the most powerful of clans in Sartar, so it's unsurprising that so many of them are pulling double duty and being both clan and tribal ring members.

Hareva , if I had to guess, is probably a member of the outer ring of the Colymar, she still advises Queen Leika, but she doesn't hold significant tribal power like inner ring members do. She might be a member of her clan ring as well, but I'm not even sure what clan that might be. If she isn't a part of the Ernaldoring, then it's unlikely that she is a member of the inner ring of her clan as she might be a several day journey from her clan's home.

Edited by Mirza
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buckwheats said:

Couldn’t or shouldn’t Ernaldori-chief Baranthos’ inner ring overlap with that of Queen Beti?

No, Baranthos and his ring are the Ernaldori clan. Leika is chosen from the entire tribe (and comes from the Taraling clan) and her ring will reflect the political realities of staying in that position.  If she gave lots of positions to the Ernaldori she could well lose support from all the Runegate clans or those of the Arfritha Vale.  Have a look at the Coming Storm HQG supplement for a similar example where Queen Ivartha of the Cinsina primarily resides at Red Cow Fort, but her tribal ring does not really overlap with the Red Cow clan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Have a look at the Coming Storm HQG supplement for a similar example where Queen Ivartha of the Cinsina primarily resides at Red Cow Fort, but her tribal ring does not really overlap with the Red Cow clan.

That's exactly what I was doing. But it seems I didn't get far enough,  hence my questions.

I concur that Queen Leika has to choose/got chosen for her leaders/advisors from all over the Colymar tribe.

My question is more to the point (that Mirza answered already), if those Ernaldori on the tribal council could also be part of the Ernaldori clan council. I am torn and trying to think if that is viable at all. Like some ministers of a provincial government being part of a federal government at the same time. I understand that modern political obligations vary slightly to those of a high-magical bronze Age. But still dancing on two different partys at the same time appears to me too demanding.

Edited by buckwheats

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

No, Baranthos and his ring are the Ernaldori clan. Leika is chosen from the entire tribe (and comes from the Taraling clan) and her ring will reflect the political realities of staying in that position.  If she gave lots of positions to the Ernaldori she could well lose support from all the Runegate clans or those of the Arfritha Vale.  Have a look at the Coming Storm HQG supplement for a similar example where Queen Ivartha of the Cinsina primarily resides at Red Cow Fort, but her tribal ring does not really overlap with the Red Cow clan.

The full ring of the Colymar are presented in the RQ Campaign. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, buckwheats said:

But still dancing on two different partys at the same time appears to me too demanding.

The most likely person to crossover is the High Priestess of Ernalda at Clearwine.  Otherwise, as you note, conflicting Loyalties would create demands (and break oaths) that no one would want. 

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The most likely person to crossover is the High Priestess of Ernalda at Clearwine.  Otherwise, as you note, conflicting Loyalties would create demands (and break oaths) that no one would want. 

Conflict loyalties are part and parcel in every society, including the Orlanthi. 

• Like 5