A farewell to a king!

Farewell Neil Peart, Thanks for the soundtrack to many of my games over the years.

This king of drummers not only propelled one of Canada’s greatest rock bands, Rush, but launched many of my games into another plane with tales about heroes slinging guitars against interplanetary despots, and warring trees. He passed away Tuesday, leaving me many memories and the desire to share one of my rock gods with the world!  Check his drumming below, his onslaught begins at 40 seconds and ended last Tuesday!

There is unrest in the forest 
There is trouble with the trees 
For the maples want more sunlight 
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

Simple, yes, but what an awesome beginning, I saw then perform this when i was thirteen, got to see them a few more times and even got to work for them. What a, pardon my saying, RUSH!

• Like 5

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a massive Rush fan. This news saddened and upset me more than I can say; Neil Peart had a huge influence on me, and I have, time and again, sneaked his lyrics into many books I've written as a kind of in-joke. Thank you for posting this, Bill. It's fitting that this community should honour and remember The Professor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

14 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a massive Rush fan. This news saddened and upset me more than I can say; Neil Peart had a huge influence on me, and I have, time and again, sneaked his lyrics into many books I've written as a kind of in-joke. Thank you for posting this, Bill. It's fitting that this community should honour and remember The Professor.

I am not sure how one can be a fantasy or sci fi fan and not like Rush and If I made you think happy thoughts  sir, even when bearing sad news, it is simply payback for RQ 6! Karma, you get what you give, which means The Professor should have been able to leave quite content in the knowledge he made a lot of people very happy.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Rush is my favorite band, and even if I don't listen to them everyday I still coming back to their albums quite some times.

I discovered them in early 2000s as an university student who was highly alienated from other, "normal" people and a normal lifestyle.
Then came Rush: their virtuosity in musicianship, their concept albums, their sound.

And Neil Peart and his lyrics: sci-fi, fantasy, sociology, philosophical and psychological topics, the great questions of life, mankind, transcendence.
I've bought all of the albums and listened to Rush all day through.

I have so many favorite Rush songs from their catalogue and over the decades [but I have to admit that "Vapor Trails" is the last Rush album I really liked].

People often say that Rush is a band for musicians, and even if I'm into prog and artrock, there is so much soul and emotion in Rush's music.

If someone ask me to define the band Rush and their music I would say just one word: Grace.

"When we are young
Wandering the face of the earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time"
[N. Peart]

Edited by prinz.slasar
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...