Sign in to follow this  
stryker99

Wessex

52 minutes ago, Morien said:

Well, if you want to run your campaign based solely on GPC and not on BoU and BotW, you are more than welcome to do so! The Supreme Collegium matters not: Arthur will become the High King, and after that, there shall not be another. Not one that matters, anyway.

Speaking of historical research occasionally getting in the way of gameplay... I actually preferred the old territorial nobles of GPC and earlier editions, than the scattered landholdings introduced in BotW. I had some arguments with Greg about why I think that Logres fighting against Saxons on one side and the Irish and the Cornish and the Picts in other flanks might be better served by more concentrated landholdings, and why this would make more sense given the tribal origins of those holdings. Rather than transporting the Norman method of scattered landholdings from the historical post-Norman Conquest England to keep the regional nobles weak and less able to defy the royal power. Needless to say, I lost that argument, but I still feel that the concentrated landholdings (county lords) is much easier for the players to grasp and easier for me to GM! :) (Not that the scattered holdings can't have some advantages for travel, such as the PKs sent to check up on outliers, but still.)

I also have much easier time keeping track of 20 or so counts and dukes than 70 or so Barons of the Sword and Barons of the Robe (although the latter would still be there as bishops, of course). What can I say? I like keeping some things simple! :)

The one advantage of having scattered holdings is that it helps to finesse the occasional mentions of some Round Table knight having a manor or castle in the middle of nowhere in the Lancelot-Grail (Agravaine, for example, has a tower and manor in Norgales, the De Ganis clan has holdings scattered across Britain - in Ergyng, in Cornwall, and of course, in Garloth).

Sure, but many of those can be explained away with recent heroics or marriages or the like. I find it much less useful that Baron Whodis has also a manor in Hartland and another manor in Gentian in addition to his main estate in Lambor. And then multiply this by 70 or so. Especially since most of these guys will be dead before the PKs have any real chance to interact with them.

Give me rather a list of the counties, their leaders and their armies, and then maybe 20 or so important, named RTKs from Orkneys, De Galis and De Ganis families and what their landholdings and armies are and when they gain them. The former I more or less get from 4th edition although the numbers are a bit suspect at times, and of course more appropriate for 530s. But so are the three families, too: Orkneys and De Galis get started already in 510s but things don't really heat up until 520s and Lancelot's rise us more in late 520s and during 530s. Orkneys are around and active for 50 years or so and De Galis and De Ganis for close to 40. Much more playtime and interaction there.

Edited by Morien